G K B

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: G K B Unread post

Just downloaded it and took a look. The GKB logo seems to be sized correctly, and the .dsc and .imb files look ok. I'll load the map in the game tonight and see what happens (got things to do at the moment).
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:16 pm Just downloaded it and took a look. The GKB logo seems to be sized correctly, and the .dsc and .imb files look ok. I'll load the map in the game tonight and see what happens (got things to do at the moment).
Okay thank you for looking into this. !$th_u$!

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly (no ReadMe was given, but it should just be the same as other maps). **!!!**
Gumboots
CEO

Well, the logos are definitely bugged. At the moment I have no idea why. Logos are not something I've ever bothered to make.

I took a look in another logo PK4 for comparison, and chose the Logo_BritishRail1.PK4 just because it was at the top of the folder full of logo PK4's that I never use anyway. :P Turns out the B and C images for that are totally screwed even before you load them into the game. They look like they have been skewed 45 degrees before saving. Total mess. Obviously nobody bothered to check them before submitting the PK4, and since nobody has complained about them since I suppose nobody has ever used them. :lol:

Short version is at the moment I don't know what's up with the GKB logo pack. I did notice that, if I installed the custom GKB etc logos, the player's company has no logo assigned when I start the game. I had to manually select the GKB logo before it displayed. However, it looks like the custom logos may not be essential anyway. If I delete them, and load the map with only default logos installed, it works. The Player's company gets an automatically-assigned logo at the start, from the default set. Presumably any AI's would too.

So there's my advice for now if you want to try this map. !*th_up*!
sbaros
Conductor

Well, there are no "amazing must-play" scenarios in the absolute sense of the term. Every scenario will require modifications by each individual user to suit his/her own perception of rail business in the region concerned. Also, a missing individual logo is not the end of the world (not even the end of Graz !), it can always be revised during the course of any session.
Apart from Photoshop, a guaranteed commercial program that has correctly handled TGA logos and skins the peculiar way that RR Tycoon dictates is Corel PhotoPaint (all these are unfortunately sold for money). Logos have to be resized to 128x128, then processed by PopTop's logo creating utility. Anyway, I'll try to find some spare time to make a working GKB one, test it and upload it here for you.
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

What I meant by "amazing must play scenarios" are ones that are very well-made, interesting, fan-favourites, or are highly praised by people who play them. Or they are challenging, require special techniques, or do something most other scenarios don't, but in a good way. That sort of thing.
Last edited by TheBonobo4 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

GIMP handles both TGA and DDS by default. It should be perfectly capable of making any images required for RT3.

I have tested some things on GIMP before. The only reason I don't commonly use it is that I have an old copy of Photoshop which does everything I want it to do, and I prefer the interface and workflow of PS over GIMP. But that's largely because GIMP's gui used to be almost completely counter-intuitive and a total PITA, so I got used to using PS. I believe (haven't checked) that they have substantially revised GIMP since those days, so it may be saner now. A lot of people seem to use it without much trouble.
sbaros
Conductor

Fresh from the press
Attachments
Logo_GKB.zip
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Thank you sbaros! I can confirm your logo works (although the text is too small and blurry for me to read). !$th_u$!
Gumboots
CEO

I tested it too. The small text being blurry is just a result of the necessary image scaling and DDS format. Not much can be done to make it less blurry, and frankly it would probably make sense to remove it from the TGA and just have the main logo.

I did notice something else though. The DDS is square, but the visible logo in the game is rectangular. This appears to be due to the code in the .imb file, which defines a target screen with a 4:3 ratio. The game appears to be chopping off the bottom 25% of the DDS for display. For best looks, I'd try moving the GKB logo text up so that it was centred 37.5% from the top. That should make it appear centred vertically in the game, without trying to mess with the .imb coding.

Alternatively, you could leave the image alone and change the .imb so that target screen height was 1280. That might work too.
Gumboots
CEO

Hey , I just found something by accident. I was looking through Die Lokomotive online and found the prototype for GKB 671: the 1857 Bourbonnais 0-6-0.

This is mentioned in the Wiki article about 671's class:
The Southern Railway therefore had a six-coupled freight locomotive developed which was based the French Bourbonnais prototype.