G K B

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
belbincolne
Engineer

G K B Unread post

Downloaded this and played it although I wasn't sure what I had to do my German being negligible. Played fine. The objective is to carry 4,000 loads of coal and achieve (I think) either a PNW or CBV in over 100 years (by 2007 starting around 1880). Anyway got the 4,000 by 1944 at which time my CBV was Eu723m and PNW Eu576m way above the required figure (Eu400m?). Didn't get Gold but wasn't going to play on because I think I'd bought everything on the map and there was nothing left to do. Nice map but I think it would be better to have a few more coal mines and a much shorter time scale.
Edit: This map is available in the archives - GKB by Franz Ziegler
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: G K B Unread post

I will have to agree about the time duration, as I am not always able to get a tycoon level of playing, but did get the goals finished by 1945. 4087 loads, $673,000K, in 86 of 140 years. I would like a translation of the German which appeared shortly after 1945:

Schwere Zerstorungen Nach pshweren Luftongriffen in und um Groz, der Bahnhof Graz Koflach wird zu 90% Zerstort. I was able to translate the 90% but nothing else. LOL

Much appreciated, and although not a good tycoon, love to play the scenarios, and believe this is a great one, as well as the terrain features.

Ray of Sunshine :salute:
JSS
Brakeman

Ray, due to air attacks, the railroad station of Graz-Koflach is or will be 90% destroyed.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks JSS,

Just a curious person, and will have to revisit the scenario to check on the damage. I did see in the beginning of the scenario years, that at times there were uprooted track sections, which took me by surprise. But then there were a number of other surprises which added to the temperment of the scenario. Some industries, such as Logging Camps don't last forever in reality, and would disappear. Added to the strategy. I had the same thing happen to Chemical Plants as well. What did surprise me were the indications of Logging Camps in the lower left corner (don't remember the town, but started with "Eis......". There wasn't any icons to support them, but built a station anyway. Now the station showed "logs", but I was unable to highlight and scroll the map to get a station fix, so don't know if I would have really been able to get the "logs". This scenario is really a lot of fun, although I did find that the revenues were on the light side. I also found that the transition from demand to supply was also slow to materialize, plus the indication of a given number of commidity to be supplied in a given year, was slower than advertised. Probably a part of the program itself, but don't recall the same problem with other played scenarios.

But altogether the benefits of the scenario out weigh the mentioned "snags".

Oh, I don't know if I will finish to 2007 to see if it will award me the Gold, as so far it has not indicated any medal. My system is starting to lag from all the accummulation of track, engines, industries, and amenities.

Ray of Sunshine
EPH
Dispatcher

Not sure if this answers your question, but a disappearing mine or farm will leave a pile of resources behind. THings like milk go away quickly, but coal, timber and iron can last for awhile.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well EPH,

That is part of the scenario to make things interesting, besides the some tracks etc being deleted periodically. But I went back to the initial start of the scenario, and wondered why the "indicators" pop up at Logging Camps near Eibiswald, yet no icons. Also that on placing a depot, and the depot indicating a supply of logs, that I was not able to scroll to that point just to see if I could put them into a consist. Just curious.

Ray of Sunshine
RayofSunshine
CEO

:-) Well Fellas,

I managed to play the scenario to the end, and that is required to get the medal. Now this is what the notice on the "plaque" showed, and so again, will have to be interpreted JSS.

"Bravo, Bravissimo mit Ihnen an der Spitze ware die GKB genau so erfolg reich."

Don't remember which level it was played, but my "high scores" are already filled with high scores in the Expert and Silver, so don't know if it would have been posted, but believe it would have been, seeing that the "awards plaque" was given. Never noticed it on other such awards, but this time there was a GOLD medal at the top of the plaque

As mentioned previous, I like to just play scenarios, but do believe that the time duration could have been somewhat shorter. However, I will add the comment that it is a very interesting scenario and worth the time of playing, even for the complete 140 year dead line. Hope to see more from Falger''s creativity and imagination. :salute: !*th_up*!

Ray of Sunshine
JSS
Brakeman

Ray, this one is more complicated because the message does not quite make sense to me.
In any case my interpretation is: "Congratulations, with you at the helm of the GKB, the railroad has performed as well as it did in real life."
Glad you enjoyed the scenario. Perhaps I will give it a try too. Right now I am into playing POS again after a long bout of playing CIV.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Just tried this scenario out for the first time, admittedly for 10 minutes (to see what the map looks like), and I must have installed the logos wrong, because the company logo for my company (GKB) is blank? Any idea as to what could be causing it? **!!!**

As for the scenario itself, I can't comment as I've not tried it yet.
sbaros
Conductor

I've never encountered the Graz-Köflacher Bahn logo in any distribution of Railroad Tycoon III stuff, but that's how it looks in case you need to do it using PopTop's provided logo creation tools. Has it been confirmed to be provided by any users anywhere?
https://media.steirerjobs.at/companies/ ... efault.png
Nice and reportedly railfan-friendly system, one of the Austrian private railways I haven't visited yet but I've enjoyed their steamers in guest operation over federal lines. You can resemble their Decapod by coupling the standard Kriegslok to one of the conventional Reichsbahn tenders provided with some DR engines in various Tycoon versions. If you want to see it in action, I recommend to you the splendid film "The lady vanishes".
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

sbaros wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:44 pm I've never encountered the Graz-Köflacher Bahn logo in any distribution of Railroad Tycoon III stuff, but that's how it looks in case you need to do it using PopTop's provided logo creation tools. Has it been confirmed to be provided by any users anywhere?
https://media.steirerjobs.at/companies/ ... efault.png
Nice and reportedly railfan-friendly system, one of the Austrian private railways I haven't visited yet but I've enjoyed their steamers in guest operation over federal lines. You can resemble their Decapod by coupling the standard Kriegslok to one of the conventional Reichsbahn tenders provided with some DR engines in various Tycoon versions. If you want to see it in action, I recommend to you the splendid film "The lady vanishes".
There are logos provided in the zip for this scenario, I've added them to the UserExtraContent folder but they don't seem to work properly? That's what I meant.
AT41B
Watchman

I just loaded it into my 1.05 games and it seems to work good. I have not played it, yet, but just tried loading it. I started a game to the point of changing the company name to GKB and the logo works fine.
Gumboots
CEO

sbaros wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:44 pmNice and reportedly railfan-friendly system, one of the Austrian private railways I haven't visited yet but I've enjoyed their steamers in guest operation over federal lines. You can resemble their Decapod by coupling the standard Kriegslok to one of the conventional Reichsbahn tenders provided with some DR engines in various Tycoon versions. If you want to see it in action, I recommend to you the splendid film "The lady vanishes".
I couldn't find any pictures of their Decapod, but I love GKB 671. :-D

TheBonobo4
Brakeman

AT41B wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:34 pm I just loaded it into my 1.05 games and it seems to work good. I have not played it, yet, but just tried loading it. I started a game to the point of changing the company name to GKB and the logo works fine.
Hmm, how did you install the logos? i believe the folder contained PK4 and TGA files, I think I just put everything into UserExtraContent?
Gumboots wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:54 pm
sbaros wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:44 pmNice and reportedly railfan-friendly system, one of the Austrian private railways I haven't visited yet but I've enjoyed their steamers in guest operation over federal lines. You can resemble their Decapod by coupling the standard Kriegslok to one of the conventional Reichsbahn tenders provided with some DR engines in various Tycoon versions. If you want to see it in action, I recommend to you the splendid film "The lady vanishes".
I couldn't find any pictures of their Decapod, but I love GKB 671. :-D

That looks kinda like a Baldwin, I love it! :-D
Gumboots
CEO

Just found the Wiki article on that class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%BCdb ... s_23_(old) :D

Apparently based on a French prototype. They say GKB 671 is the oldest working steam loco in the world. It's still in regular use. Some others are older, but are basically only museum pieces. And here's a coincidence: I just spotted that Südbahn 859, seen here in this pic on Wikimedia...

...is this same loco that is shown in the middle of the public domain image I used for this site's railway history page banner: http://hawkdawg.com/rrhist/rrhist_index.php

The green one to the right is Kaiserin Elisabeth Bahn 106. The black one to the left is ÖBB 58.744. The location is Eisenbahnmuseum Strasshof.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

This is what happens when I load up the scenario.

And this is what I'm guessing is supposed to be the correct logo, that is too large to fit properly.

I don't know if it matters, but I'm playing with the maximum number of 5 AI players, though they've not made any companies as I only just loaded up the scenario to take these photos.
sbaros
Conductor

It is about half the correct logo. Did you make it yourself from the link I gave you, or is it the one zipped together with the scenario? In either case, someone failed to size it correctly to the instructions of PopTop's logo creating utility.
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

sbaros wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:57 pm It is about half the correct logo. Did you make it yourself from the link I gave you, or is it the one zipped together with the scenario? In either case, someone failed to size it correctly to the instructions of PopTop's logo creating utility.
It was included in the zip file that came with the scenario. From the looks of it, a few of the other logos are wrong or badly made, as I looked through logos I had and noticed some incomprehensible ones that weren't there before, which must mean they came from this scenario.
Gumboots
CEO

The instructions say to use the supplied Logo_Blank.tga as a basis, which is just another way of saying that all images to be processed must be TGA, and sized to 128x128 before running the application. Looks like someone forgot to resize their images before processing them. Should be an easy fix, if anyone can be bothered. You could just make new ones in Photoshop or whatever and save them straight to DDS, then use them to replace the images in the current logo pack.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:29 pm The instructions say to use the supplied Logo_Blank.tga as a basis, which is just another way of saying that all images to be processed must be TGA, and sized to 128x128 before running the application. Looks like someone forgot to resize their images before processing them. Should be an easy fix, if anyone can be bothered. You could just make new ones in Photoshop or whatever and save them straight to DDS, then use them to replace the images in the current logo pack.
I don't have Photoshop, nor would I know what to do if I did. **!!!**

I'm beginning to form the opinion that, unless this scenario is an amazing must-play, I might just remove the logos this scenario came with and the map itself.