Brazil

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
belbincolne
Engineer

Brazil Unread post

Downloaded this some time ago and have been playing on and off since (its a 50 year scenario so takes some time). Despite not understanding Portugese its pretty easy to follow except that you have to carry algodao and I cant find a translation for this!

Start is really hard because of the mountains around the most important cities and my line between Santos and Rio never made a profit it was so hilly that trains moved incredibly slowly until about 5 years from the end I double tracked and used modern locos.

One real weirdity was that after connecting the last city (Santa Cruz I think it was) instead of getting a bonus I was suddenly $3m in the red :( :( :evil: :evil: and I realised that about $5m of my debt had been wiped off - the first $5m which was all at 5% not the later stuff at 8%. Anyway I then started making so much money that I was solvent within a year and paid of all debt and bought back lots of stock just for the hell of it. I only got Silver because, as usual, my transporting of goods was never counted.

One thing to remember is that as PNW doesn't matter when you need cash you should issue stock. Anyway nice map and I enjoyed playing it.
Lama
Brakeman

Re: Brasil Unread post

belbincolne wrote:you have to carry algodao and I cant find a translation for this!
Cotton, he said, after taking a look at a label in a shirt. :P
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Well wouldn't you think Cotton was in any dictionary???!!!

It actually is English - Portugese but not Portugese - English (could that be because I can't put in the sguiggle above the ao?

Anyway makes no odds because I never carry any of the goods according to my Almanac despite all those trains with 7 cars full.
:(
Cliff
Watchman

Unread post

Hey Hawk -

I just tried downloading Brasil.RAR from your site, and the RAR file was corrupt. Could you find another copy for downloading??

-- Cliff in Virginia
JayEff
Conductor

Unread post

Heh, I liked it so much I translated it to English with an online translator. I cleaned up the event coding a little, and added two events to help AI. Otherwise it is the same as the original. This is a great builder map.

My one comment is that it allows all locos. That is quite a few given all the fan made locos being made. But it gives you a chance to test them against each other on some challenging terrain.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Hey Cliff,
I don't know if I answered your post or not (it seems not). I know it's a bit late. Don't know how I missed it. :oops:
I downloaded the rar file and it worked fine for me.
Anyway, Joe has just added an updated English version in zip format. :D
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Playing the English version although rather slowly cos 50 years is a long time for one scenario - easier to understand obviously and don't think there are any bugs.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

I got through the English version too. A delightful scenario; varied terrain made building in some places a challenge. Connecting lots of cities gets you access into territories needed to connect for Gold. Run dedicated custom consist trains to make the haulage goals. It takes a while, but it can be done. AIs are generally weak, so if you start the game with them, it opens up the opportunity to take them over and have more places to build from 'cause of the "connected track only" stipulation.
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Well as I'm using Patch 6 the AIs aren't that weak and I decided they weren't worth the effort.
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Made it to Gold 17 years early - load carrying after city completion took perhaps 8 years. As connecting enough cities gives free intro to the two other countries needed and I didn't have AIs I've no idea whether they would have been useful or not - nor if they had rights to the other countries. No bugs - hell of a lot of trains to choose from with the newer ones often not as good value as some of the older. I built a few hotels/restaurants early on - waste of money. At the end for something to do I built some Lumber mills which were very profitable but it was only a way of filling in time as it takes some two years for custom consist trains to reach either port.
JayEff
Conductor

Unread post

Really, 50 years is a lot of time to fulfill the haul mission. I focus mainly on making money. I kick start the company by connecting 5 cities immediately, Sao Paulo and several cities inland to the west. The reward for two cities pays for 5 to be connected. After that I shop around for industry bargains, and grow the railway slowly. When the Shay comes, I make the hauls from Sao Paulo down to Santos. Santos can be a nice place to put a textile mill and an oil refinery.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Re: Brazil Unread post

Recently downloaded this scenario. Tried it on Medium at first. Start is a bit slow due to all the mountains and hills around Sao Paolo, and laying track can get tedious, but I got the Gold in about 25 years, so 50 should be enough even on Expert. Didn't encounter any issues/bugs, and I like the bonuses for connecting a certain number of cities. Though I didn't get any bonus for after 50 if I recall, if one exists, (although even if it did I wouldn't have needed it as I had everything connected already).

Can also be tedious in getting everything hauled, since a) the hills, b) you usually have to haul long distances but also the most annoying part c) the amount you've hauled of Coffee, Cotton and Sugar only show up at the end of the year, rather than in the ledger itself. Also, played with maximum number of AI, and for the most part they were useless. I bought them all out fairly easily, only one was profitable, the rest either went bankrupt or were barely making money. This is with 1.05 patch.

That said, all in all a great map. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Just took a look around this one. You can play with up to 5 AI's but, as has been pointed out earlier in the thread, they're utterly useless. All they do is make stupid track in stupid places, so they'll never be worth taking over and will only clutter the map up. My 2c is if you're going to have a crack at this one, just skip the AI's and play it solo.

Terrain could do with a bit of work too. He made it with lakes climbing up the sides of mountains, and rivers are borked several ways. Wouldn't take much to tweak it up a bit.
sbaros
Conductor

I have the impression that Brazil is one of the very few countries that comprise all the available resources of Railroad Tycoon - Trainmaster and doesn't depend solely on imports for any of them. Am I right? Has anyone noted any other such countries?
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !