Express D'Orient

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
EPH
Dispatcher

Express D'Orient Unread post

This is a re-working of the classic, original campaign scenario 'Orient Express' with minimal changes to the map, deletion of the Jules Verne fish-train and with some additional new rules. The major change is that you can now decide to start from pretty much any territory, instead of just Austria-Hungary. Be warned, however, that some starting locations are better than others. :-) Listed below are my top three.

The best is probably still Austria-Hungary. Building industry in the Zagreb area is usually profitable, and rail lines from Vienna to Zagreb and Budapest should make money. The easiest way through to Romania is along the Danube, and once you are in Bucharest you are half-way to victory. Balance industrial development with laying track...

Second-best, I think, is to start in the Ottoman Empire. All access fees to other territories are sharply increased (they rebelled from the Empire not so long ago), but the Sultan provides a HUGE subsidy for industrial development. Plan on spending seven or eight years building industries before you lay track and roll north.

Romania is incredibly rich in natural resources and can make you an industrial fortune. The rail network to service this will be compact and therefore cheap to build and maintain. From this central location you can strike out in any direction and your industrial profits will underwrite the rail construction costs. Access fees to other nations are reduced. Don't wait too long to lay track into Bulgaria or Austria-Hungary; you are in the middle but it is a long way to either end.

The Kaiser will come along sooner or later with an offer of funds and engineering help (reduced construction costs). He wants a Berlin-to-Baghdad railway and needs your help to build from Vienna to Istanbul. Be warned that his help is a loan, not a gift, and the monthly cost is high (comes to about $200k per month or $2.4 million per year).

As far as the victory conditions go, you will need to run freight-only and express-only trains. if you concentrate on industry for too long, or don't keep your express speeds up, you will hear about it. Fortunately the cures are pretty simple, and you only need to meet the speed limits for about half the years you play. Once better trains come along you will find it easy to meet that target every year. One of the requirements is to deliver mail to Budapest and Bucharest; this comes slowly and you may need years to deliver enough mail. Getting the Vienna-to-Istanbul line built is of course the first and highest priority.

The map is exactly the same except for the grading I did along the Danube. The scenery can be gorgeous, the possible ways to lay track many and varied. I hope you enjoy playing ths one and I hope the ability to start in different places gives it a lot of replay value. Please let me know what you think.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
EPH
Dispatcher

Re: Express D'Orient Unread post

Sorry if the status page is messed up - I will go check it now. (I looked at the code and I don't see the problem... I'll playtest the latest version and see what comes up).

There will be a new version of this up shortly that gives the Ottoman player a sizable subsidy on industry. I think you will find this makes the OE one of the better starting points.

This scenario can be industry-heavy, but you had better not leave the track-laying for too much later. I speak from experience here. :-) I concentrate on building up an industrial base in the first 7-8 years and then push for track after that, building more industry as I expand my network. Lumber-paper-furniture chains are good, breweries are great and a steel mill can be a money machine. But the purpose of making money is to be able to build track...

I apologize for not keeping up better with the discussion but I've been ill for most of the past three weeks and am just now out of bed.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
EPH
Dispatcher

By the way - a big tip of the hat to Orange46, whose comments and suggestions (and not to mention playtesting) made this scenario a LOT better than it otherwise would have been.

Thank you! (0!!0) !$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

New version now available in the usual place. ;-)
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

More than having money or not for industries, EPH, I found the problem to be the lack of market to sell whatever your production chains provide after a few years.

Demand is pretty sparse and after a couple of years, prices drop all over the country.
But maybe with better managing and a little more "financial backup", you can buy your way into Romania which is a much larger market. I look forward to try again the Ottoman Empire.

Hope you are well now.
B
EPH
Dispatcher

I just ran through a game of Express and won Gold in 1904, starting as A-H. The ledger event saying Vienna and Istanbul had been connected did fire correctly.

It was a fun game; built industries in Zagreb, Szeged and Budapest first, then connected rail Vienna-Bratislava-Gyor-Budapest. Next expansion was Vienna-Zagreb (don't remember the names of the two intervening towns) and then Budapest-Szeged-Timisoara-Resita. Concentrated on building up industry for cash flow, then pushed on to Romania.

I set up all trains as either freight-only or express-only; used Stirlings with 4 cars for express until better engines came along. Was able to satisfy the speed limit for the required 15 years by 1902 or 3 - earliest I've ever done that. Usually I wait for that front-cab Italian engine (1905) but this time I had so much cash I electrified everything instead and saved almost $1 million per year on engine maintenance and fuel, even allowing for the increased track maintenance costs.

If cargo prices are going in the tank, either you have an economic downturn or you have saturated the local market. The solution, as you say, is to build on to new markets. The OE doesn't have lots of opportunities for industry, but the Sultan's subsidy will apply anywhere you want to buy or build - pretty sweet.
brunom
Dispatcher

Nice one EPH!

Just played a game on expert, starting in Istanbul. Cheaper industries make it possible as I got Silver. And, looking back, I could have done a little better. But I just wanted to have a go at it and see the thing trough.

One remark though, for you to consider (even though it might be a big deal at this point)... If you start in the Ottoman Empire the Kaiser offer is pretty useless. I mean, by then your trains should be passing in Varna or Sofia and going further. Thus, cheap entrance in Bulgaria isn't needed anymore. On top of it, some AI player will have built a large network in Austria at that point, and hence, you don't need to build long stretches of rail anymore.

What if... accepting the Kaiser help, when you start in Istanbul, gives different bonuses? Say, cheaper access to Austria and same locos but on the down side, loosing the Sultan's subsidy to industry.

Other than this, game works better now, from the Ottoman point of view. But you still need to expand fast or market becomes saturated. Finally, I saw a port in Istanbul for the first time. Is this a new detail as well? It's a good idea, as cargo can go up the Black Sea, which makes a lot of sense.
EPH
Dispatcher

Istanbul is primed to build ports and warehouses. They do the same thing, but a port is a little harder for the AI to place correctly. Varna and Constanta have the same deal, but they begin much smaller than Istanbul and need rail traffic to grow. Rubber from those cities will feed a tire factory and auto plant in Bucharest. ;-)

I agree that the Kaiser's offer is not worth as much if you start in the Ottoman Empire, but I intended it to be an option of 'last resort' anyway. With four major revisions already done, I'm not looking to ask people to download this one again. :-)

Do you really use AI track? I've found it hard to run my express trains at the speed limit when I do that. Almost always I lay my own track and stations, though the snarls of iron spaghetti can get very confusing! :-D

Glad you enjoyed the game - hope you play it many more times. !$th_u$!
brunom
Dispatcher

Just a quick reply on using AI track..

I used a lot of AI track in this last attempt, because Austria was already a mess when I managed to gather the 5M to buy my way in. Hence the silver instead of gold. I made some track around Budapest to make sure I delivered the 10 mail, but I was aware it was impossible by then to get enough coffee to Vienna.

Actually, there was one part of AI track which was very very cool. They made a tunnel across the Carpathes, so once I reached Bucharest with my own network I just COULDN'T NOT USE IT. *,*!
nicetunnel.jpg
belbincolne
Engineer

Just had my first try at this - though not sure if its the latest version. Had connected all but last teritory before I got the message Kaisers offer coming up so decided I'd decline anyway and took out max bonds and connected Istanbul and ran 4 custom trains - I'd already got the mail carryings. Though they took perhaps 3 years I soon had them in the bag. I never got the Kaisers final offer.

The problem :evil: :evil: was speed. The fastest I ever got was 19mph and most years it was much lower. Never had the money to double line and ran very few expresses on little used lines with all rest goods only. Initially problem was poor trains but even when the good ones came along it was slow getting over some of the unavoidable hills (was too poor to build tunnels). I also didn't find Industry very profitable. Got Silver.

Anyway enjoyed the scenario (I did the original too) and will give it another play some time - perhaps try laying one piece of flat line for express speed and only run goods on everywhere else? Also see if I can start at a later date?
EPH
Dispatcher

That tunnel is pretty amazing. I can think of better ways to use the money myself. :-D
But the AI WILL build in a straight line, no matter what the consequences...

My last play was a lot of fun. I started in Romania and built/bought industry for the first five or six years. Then I connected the cities to Bucharest (Galati and Pitosi were my industrial hubs, with textile mills in Alexandria).

I made the speed limit 12 years in a row by setting up freight-only trains (Dukes) and express-only trains (Stirlings, then the better engines as they came along). For the express-only I used 4 cars and a dining car. Romania is pretty flat, but as I expanded into Austria I kept making the speed limit with no trouble.

When the heavier-cars event came along, coupled with the 25-mile-per-hour requirement for express, I failed to make the limit for a while. Instead of using a better engine I electrified (over the hills in Bulgaria and the OE, later in Romania and finally everywhere) and that raised my average speed back up. With electric engines I could go to 6 express cars plus a dining car. Got gold in 1904 - pretty early for me - and I think it was because I went west from Romania instead of my usual southerly push. Austria is SO much more profitable...

Austria can be a spaghetti bowl of track, but I've always been able to build over/around the AI. I just don't like having their trains slow down my operations. :-)
nik9000

This is my first post as well as my first few games on Expert. I was able to win this Austria-Hungary, Romania, and the Ottoman Empire. All the victories ended up around 1905 or so. About that tunnel through the Carpathese: I built pretty much that exact tunnel in all three games. Except I always used double track. Also using spar based services kind of trivializes the speed requirements. I think I made the speed requirements 15 years in a row every time.

First I did Romania. I started by buying a Lumber and Paper Mill and then buying the associated logging camps. I think I ran Stirlings with a consist of 4 everywhere. I didn't bother with express only and freight only which was a mistake. I upgraded across the board to S3s with 8 consist when they became available. After filing up Romania I went north across the Carpathese with that expensive tunnel. I think it was 6 million at the time. Eastern AH was a mess of tracks but I was able to make a pretty penny in western AH. From there it was just mopping up.

Then I did AH. I bootstrapped myself using three dairy farms. I believe I started my tracks in Vienna and then went west dropping another hub in Budapest. I ran dukes with 8 consist then S3s the same way the whole time. I don't remember where I made most of my money. A Steel Mill in Vienna comes to mind.

EO was harder. I started it a few times trying different industry starts. Buying existing Textile Mills and Farms early turned out to be the best way to go. I built a somewhat profitable rail line in OE then bought access directly to Romania. I built a Lumber Mill there and then a nice rail system that made me the bulk of my money. I was lucky; the other companies were all in AH. Then I linked the two railways. That netted me the 15 million or so I needed to deal with AH.

All and all I've had a ton of fun with this scenario. Thanks so much for making it! I might try some of the more exotic countries but I'm not sure I could win with them.
EPH
Dispatcher

I've never built a tunnel. I usually run my track along the Danube (Donau).

Certainly you can run spurs - or express/freight only trains - or any method that works for you. The purpose of the speed limit is to remind you that this is supposed to be a premiere passenger train line. I didn't want to use a lifetime speed average because it becomes impossible to raise that once it slips. Making those annual speed limits also gives the player a regular feeling of accomplishment (or a spur to improve).

I've never tried playing any country except the three you mention. Russia and Bulgaria would be very hard and Serbia I think is just about out of the question, but again I have to say I've never tried. i am always amazed at the amount of industry Romania will support.

Glad you enjoyed the scenario - it sounds like you've had a lot of success with it. One of the reasons to update it was to give it more replay value and it sounds like that worked.

!$th_u$!
Gumboots
CEO

Just tried this one for the first time. I like it. Nice rewrite of the original. !$th_u$!

I went with a Romania start, and for quite a while there I was thinking I had no chance, mainly due to the cost of track. This one only really gets pumping inthe last decade. Before then it's a bit of a nail biter, and for some obscure reason there's a grumpy emperor nicking some of your money. Mongrel. :-P

I took a few penalties on express speed early on, when I wasn't actually running any trains, but once I had trains the speed requirement was no problem. I know one of the ideas with this rewrite was to allow not using sheds and towers on spurs, but personally I don't call that micromanagement. To me it's just standard practice and I think nothing of it.

This allowed me to run Stirlings (Romania is flat) with max 6 express cars + dining car + caboose and still easily get the required speed. Since Stirlings aren't very reliable, and since breakdowns really nobble your speed average, I replaced them when they were 3 years old. This worked well. Freight was run with Consolidations and 7 cars + caboose. These lasted 5 years without problems, then I replaced them at 6 years.

The mail to Bucharest was no problem. I got that in the first few years of running trains, just from local Romanian mail. By the way, I had post offices on all stations. If you want to ship mail, you can't beat having post offices. It makes a big difference. !*th_up*!

By the time S3's became available the price of track was coming down (Yay!) and I had enough cash to buy into Bulgaria and the OE. From there on it was a piece of cake. I ran around the coast of Bulgaria, then over to Plovdiv, then down to Edime and Istanbul. This got things cooking money-wise, so after that I ran a line from Alexandria via bridge and tunnel straight over to Plovdiv. Dropped an upgraded weapons factory at Alexandria (took a bit of a loss at first) and within a couple of years the weapons shipped themselves to Istanbul at a very good rate of payment . :mrgreen:

Ok, now for Vienna. While I was waiting for the weapons to do their thing, I built my own stations at Vienna and Budapest and ran a line straight between them with no intermediate stops. Got a bundle of mail shipped to Budapest the first year that track was open. By the time the notice about the Kaiser popped up, the only bit of track I had left to lay was between Belgrade and Craiova, so I was like "Kaiser who?". I laid that track and the only thing left was the coffee.

I decided there was no pont messing around when it came to the coffee. Since it was worth almost nothing in the OE, and was worth heaps at Vienna, and since it had to go to Vienna anyway, I set a couple of trains running straight from Edime to Vienna, with a custom consist of 7 coffee + caboose at Edime, and any old thing back from Vienna. Since Edime was rolling in coffee, those first two trainloads were enough for the gold requirement. I set them to priority, followed the first one along the track, and just dropped towers and maintenance sheds where it needed them. Easy. :-D

Got Gold on Expert level, with all steam, in December 1907. (0!!0)

PS: For the custom train upgrades, I chose the power and acceleration option.
Gumboots
CEO

EPH wrote:I've never tried playing any country except the three you mention. Russia and Bulgaria would be very hard and Serbia I think is just about out of the question, but again I have to say I've never tried.
:mrgreen: ::!**! ^**lylgh

Ok, I tried it. Serbia, that is. It's not out of the question. Got those last loads of coffee into Vienna in October 1909. Serbia is totally wicked. You ought to try it. Seriously. (0!!0)

What's so good about it? It's different, and you wouldn't think it would work, but it does. Belgrade always has a steel mill, right? And it always works well there. This means money, yes? :mrgreen:

Ok, what I did was this: There were a few logging camps just across the river in A-H, but within Belgrade's grab zone. So I started off by buying a lumber mill, and a logging camp and a cheap dairy farm just outside Belgrade (in Serbia, of course). This started things off nicely.

The steel mill wasn't making any steel early on, and by the time it started producing I was able to raise just enough cash and bonds to buy it before it went above 1,700k. After that, tool and die of course, followed by furniture factory and paper mill.

Before I did all of that (can't remember exactly when) I ran a railway up to Nis, stopping at all towns on the way. Set a Consolidation to priority express and another to freight only. The express one was just fast enough to make the early speed requirements.

Anyway, once cash was coming in I bought into Romania since it's always a gold mine. Got a basic rail network and some good industry happening there, then connected Craiova to Belgrade along the top of the southern cliffs beside the Danube. This was quite cheap, and had reasonable grades, so it worked well.

So after all that's working well and cash has built up, I buy into the O-E. This is where I decided to do something really different. I was fairly sure it wouldn't work, but thought I'd try it just for fun. :-D So, I completely ignored Bulgaria and decided I'd go through the mountains from Nis, via Serrai and Drama (I expected it to be Drama!) and down to Istanbul that way. You wouldn't think so from looking at it, but it's possible to get all the way through with decent grades and no tunnels. (0!!0)

Since I had a steel mill and a lumber mill at Belgrade, that meant I could run a weapons factory there. So, two full train loads on custom consist (weapons down, coffee back) sorted the weapons requirement. By this time cash was going well, so it was just a matter of buying into A-H and running a line to Vienna via Budapest. Since the Istanbul weapons trains were coming back with coffee anyway, I just re-routed them to run to Vienna instead.

I'm amazed that it worked, because when I decided to play mountain goat I was sure it'd be a disaster. It's not though, and it makes for really good train rides. !*th_up*!

If anyone wants to check out the save, let me know and I'll attach it.

PS: If it wasn't for the requirement to ship mail to Bucharest, it would be perfectly possible (albeit challenging) to win this game by starting in Serbia and only going through A-H and the O-E. Going into Romania, even if you don't actually use it to get to Istanbul, makes a Serbia win easier because of Romania's cheap access cost and great potential for earlier profit.

Since the mail to Bucharest is so easy anyway perhaps this could be dropped, or made optional, when the player starts in Serbia. You could substitute a mail or passengers requirement for Istanbul. That way anyone who wants to try the most challenging option could skip Romania entirely.

http://i.imgur.com/O9Ie4Z3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VZnUJr7.jpg
Last edited by Gumboots on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

And just to work my way through the possibilities, I tried starting in Russia. This is a bit daft, considering that the Orient Express never went anywhere near Russia, but given that it's an option in this scenario I thought I might as well try it.

You can win it with a Russian start too. There is a steel mill in Galati, just over the Romanian border, but close enough that you can build a large station on the Russian side of the river, and a tool and die, and get yourself a nice steel supply. The mill wasn't producing at first (had to wait for iron to trickle over the mountains) so I started by grabbing a meat works in Cahul, and some oil wells that were going cheap. Russia usually ends up with a good supply of oil, and once diesel brings a good price an oil refinery is a sure winner.

After that it was just the usual build a basic railway and add to industry portfolio, but I did make one mistake. I built the oil refinery a little too early. What I should have done was hold off building the oil refinery until 1895, and bought into Romania instead a year or two earlier. That would have shortened the game slightly due to better profitability earlier on.

Overall I'd say that starting in Serbia or Russia is roughly equal for difficulty. I haven't tried Bulgaria or A-H yet, but since A-H is probably a sure win* I think I'll try Bulgaria next.

* Edit: Yup, starting in A-H is definitely the easiest. Gold in May 1903, without trying very hard. Would probably be possible to do it by the end of 1899 if you were really focused and a bit lucky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did Bulgaria. It's easier than Russia and Serbia. Although Bulgaria itself is nothing special in terms of resources, choosing to start there gives you half price access to all other territories. So, it's pretty much handing you Romania on a plate, because you start the game with enough cash to buy access to Romania, and a textile mill in Bucharest, without even taking out any bonds.

PS: Think of Bulgaria this way - effectively a Bulgaria start is a Romania start with a bit less cash, but with the bonus of free access to Bulgaria and half price access to all other territories. Looked at that way, it's not as difficult as you might think. The only time it would be a problem is if all the AI's decided to start in Romania too. That could make things messy.

On my play, I only had one very placid AI in Romania so I just built around him.
EPH
Dispatcher

I wanted this one to have high replay value and I am absolutely delighted that you have had so much fun.

But - and I say this in the nicest way - you are crazy, you know that? :-D You started in SERBIA and you won? Ladies and gentlemen, I hereby acknowledge that Gumboots has got me out-tycooned six ways from Sunday.

Wow. :lol:

I can say that in previous games I have avoided Bulgaria, in the sense of staying away from the AI lines along the coast. Whoever made the map was clever to not make the grades too severe, so it is possible to just build across-country to Edirne. It will cost a lot, but it isn't hard. I think I used one tunnel, but only because I was running-over with cash and was somewhat short of time.

Two tips: You can run passenger traffic with four cars and a Stirling engine from very early on. This makes getting the 15-year speed medal a snap. I have found that for speed records, better accelleration tends to trump better speed - at least so long as the speeds are roughly equal. So I would not use a Consolidation for express traffic, but a Stirling instead. If you run freight-only trains and a few fast express trains with 4 cars (which most railroads did) then getting the speed medal isn't too hard.

Second, if you want to be sneaky you can build a station just across the river from Belgrade and haul away all that lovely steel. Or build a competing plant upriver, which is what I usually do.

Yes, Austria-Hungary is by far the easiest start. Once I get a line from Vienna to Budapest I focus on getting to Zagreb (for lumber and paper). Massive industrialization is then possible (and profitable). I do love Romania, though - it has an amazing set of natural resources and can easily become an industrial powerhouse.

So glad to hear from you! Thank you for the comments!
belbincolne
Engineer

Mastered the original on Expert after only a few tries. Cant get anywhere on Medium with this one. Can never make enough money from either a rail or industry start to buy into another teritory and also rarely make the passenger speed and borrowing money becomes prohibitly expensive (don't think this was in the original where, so I recall, I only ever ran one passenger train on the straightest, longest, flatist line). I learnt the Belgrade idea on the original and it works well here too but never thought of building anything up river. I shall now give it another try. Maybe I'll even try Romania.
Gumboots
CEO

EPH wrote:I can say that in previous games I have avoided Bulgaria, in the sense of staying away from the AI lines along the coast. Whoever made the map was clever to not make the grades too severe, so it is possible to just build across-country to Edirne.
If I'm going over the range from Alexandria to Plovdiv, and then to Edirne, I'll put a tunnel through the upper section of the range. It's possible to do without it, but it's not worth it. The fairly short tunnel required ends up costing about the same as the mountain goat track you would otherwise need, and makes for a faster trip of course.

If going around the eastern end of the range (but still inland) then I agree the grades are fine without a tunnel.

Two tips: You can run passenger traffic with four cars and a Stirling engine from very early on. This makes getting the 15-year speed medal a snap. I have found that for speed records, better accelleration tends to trump better speed - at least so long as the speeds are roughly equal. So I would not use a Consolidation for express traffic, but a Stirling instead. If you run freight-only trains and a few fast express trains with 4 cars (which most railroads did) then getting the speed medal isn't too hard.
Stirlings are ok, as long as the terrain is absolutely flat. When running an early express service in Serbia, the terrain is such that a Stirling will spend half its time crawling at a snail's pace. This means that if you want to meet the speed requirement, you need to use a Consolidation. A Duke will also do it if lightly loaded, but the acceleration isn't much better in practice and the pulling power is lower.

Once you're into A-H, on a run like Zagreb to Vienna or Vienna to Budapest, a Consolidation will eat Stirlings for lunch. Acceleration is slower, but top speed (when pulling a load that is worth hauling) is higher, and it wont be slowed down much by the grades. The only time a Stirling will win is on short hops on dead flat terrain, where its better acceleration will count.

Second, if you want to be sneaky you can build a station just across the river from Belgrade and haul away all that lovely steel. Or build a competing plant upriver, which is what I usually do.
Of course. ;-)

Yes, Austria-Hungary is by far the easiest start. Once I get a line from Vienna to Budapest I focus on getting to Zagreb (for lumber and paper). Massive industrialization is then possible (and profitable). I do love Romania, though - it has an amazing set of natural resources and can easily become an industrial powerhouse.
Totally agree with those points. I often start in Zagreb if I'm playing an A-H start. It depends on the seeding, and on what I feel like trying, but when Zagreb has a huge pile of free pulpwood and almost free logs it is an obvious starting point for quick returns. Romania is great too. Although A-H is generally an easier start, for some reason I find Romania more enjoyable. :-D

So glad to hear from you! Thank you for the comments!
You're welcome. Thanks for the map.
Gumboots
CEO

belbincolne wrote:Mastered the original on Expert after only a few tries. Cant get anywhere on Medium with this one. Can never make enough money from either a rail or industry start to buy into another teritory...
1/ Do not use a rail start. On Expert level, your railway will not make much money. Get an industry base going first, then build rail.

2/ Choose your industries strategically. If you are going for an A-H start, Zagreb can be one of the best options. There are often a large number of logging camps that have no demand for their pulpwood, and there is a retail that wants paper in Zagreb. If this is the case with the seeding you get, a paper mill here is a very good way to start.

Do not build the paper mill in Zagreb itself. Build it just over the river and build it right on top of the closest logging camp*. This way, you don't have to wait for it to start drawing in resources from a distance. It will start eating them immediately. This can mean the difference between zero profit in your first year, and 500k profit in your first year. It's tricks like this that make the difference to the early stages. You have to pick the options that will generate the biggest returns in the least time.

*Note: closest to Zagreb, but in a bunch with the others. If there is one camp that is closet to Zagreb, but it's three squares away from all the others, do not pick that one. If the bunch three squares away has four camps tightly grouped, build there. Make sure your mill is within the existing stack of pulpwood for at least one camp. Not only does this give you the sure returns for the first year, but it means that after draining the existing stockpile for the first camp in the first year, your mill will be close enough to start munching on the other stockpiles.

If there are four camps tightly grouped, your first year profits will pay for an upgrade to your paper mill, and in the second year it will have enough immediately available pulpwood to run at full production. An upgraded paper mill, running at full production (6 loads/year), in an area that still has a $0 price for pulpwood and a roughly $150+ price for paper, will make your second year bottom line look very healthy indeed. (0!!0)

You do not, under any circumstances, want to have to wait for your mill to generate enough of a price gradient to get the pulpwood moving. This is a general principle for any industry in the early stages of the game. You want it to make money, and lots of it, right now.

...and also rarely make the passenger speed and borrowing money becomes prohibitly expensive (don't think this was in the original where, so I recall, I only ever ran one passenger train on the straightest, longest, flatist line).
Passenger speed is easy in A-H. A few tricks:

1/ I always use maintenance spurs, in any scenario. It's just the way I always play. If you don't want to use them, that's up to you (I know EPH hates them). However, if you are having trouble meeting the speed goals, using spurs will make a big difference.

2/ Do not use Stirlings for express unless the terrain is absolutely flat. Budapest to Novi Sad, for example, is fine for a Stirling. Zagreb to Pecs is not so good. Budapest to Vienna is a disaster for a Stirling.

However, a Consolidation can be run Budapest to Vienna direct, hauling a 6 car + caboose auto consist (ie: freight and/or express, depending on delivery price at the time) and still easily beat the 25 mph station to station time, as long as you are using maintenance spurs.

3/ To play it safe, I often wont run any express until I have at least two runs set up. That way, if one express train breaks down it wont have such a bad effect on the overall express speed for that year.

4/ Breakdowns suck. Even if one of your freight trains break down, it will still ruin your express speed if the broken freighter blocks an express train. Three ways around this.

First, do not run old locos. Replace them when their reliabilty bar starts looking a bit dodgey. Yes, it costs to do this, but it can save you money too. Overall, you wont lose.

Second, never run them with less than 50% oil. It makes a difference. If your loco gets to a station and has 74% oil, fill it up. This is not a needless expense, if you value reliability. When trying to meet speed targets, you should value reliability.

Third, double track rocks. !*th_up*!

I learnt the Belgrade idea on the original and it works well here too but never thought of building anything up river. I shall now give it another try. Maybe I'll even try Romania.
Resita can be a good place for your pirate steel mill, or you can build it near Craiova in Romania. Western Romania is often the main source of coal and iron for the Belgrade mill anyway. The thing you want to watch is the exact course of the streams. You want to intercept them as quickly as you can. I'll often build a large station as well as an industry, even if the station is not connected to anywhere else at first, if the station can grab an existing resources stream that the industry can't quite reach.