Central America - BETA Version

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
OilCan
Engineer

Re: Central America - BETA Version Unread post

RulerofRails wrote:Oilcan, I noticed that the label for Guatemala is misspelled "Guatamala" on the map itself.
Thancs, speelling was nver mi stroong sout. :mrgreen:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote: I may shorten the time span required for each medal. That will add some challenge, but the game will still remain more towards 'being easy' than 'being hard'.
Thanks! :salute:
I don't know about shortening the time required for medals, although I was able to get Gold in under 20 years in my second attempt. I was thinking more along the lines of some of your more 'interesting' type of events. Just a little something to add some spice to the scenario.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Here's the result of my start in Mexico. I must say that the economy was kind to me.
Very impressive! RoR, on the bell curve of RT3 players, you must realize that you sit at the far right edge of the bell, in the A++ section. :salute:

As much as I appreciate your willingness to beta test games and as greatly as I enjoy reading (& learning) your strategies for success in each game, I must temper your results to allow for those of us who sit more towards the center of the bell, in the C section. :-D

I think that 20 years for Gold is probably a better goal rather than 25 years. I'm also considering adding a choice for the player to increase the CBV goal for Gold to maybe $150M.

One item being missed by the player who achieves Gold is the bauxite - aluminum part of the game. This occurs in 1910. The ports are set to receive bauxite from Jamaica. The player can build multiple bauxite - aluminum - goods industry chains, reaping the profit from each link of the chain.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Maybe something like destroying track when the Panama Canal opens, if there's track built there.
You know, those 'got'cha' kind of events. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Jacmob01
Hobo

Been looking around the forum now for a bit and after seeing this map I thought I'd give it a try.
I completely forgot to expand my industry in the early game, which I think ended up losing the game for me, but I still found it very fun playing on this map :-)

Didn't encounter any problems with the scenario either, and I think the map is in pretty good condition for being a beta map.
(I also went ahead and assumed that there are no trees on this map because it would save performance on older computers :mrgreen: )

Here's how my railroad company ended up looking (I started off in Mexico):

RayofSunshine
CEO

As usual, I test a Beta in Expert, but did not do well at all. Didn't even get a BZ. It was really my fault, as I didn't start to buy up farms or purchase industry too late in the game, so fell real short with the CBV.
However, I also missed the Gold, as I only saw the Boom 3 times, for maybe 1 year for each economy. Mostly Normal and went into Depression a couple times, and Recession 3 times. It really took a bite out of the revenue, in order to give me any momentum.
My laying track level was basically that of "5", but did have an amount of "6". Didn't really get into "7-8s" until having to connect the Hondurus Capital, on top of a mountain. But, keeping the hauls at a good speed as there are good incline engines in this scenario. At least there are not any "shear" cliffs to try and navigate. ^**lylgh

A very interesting scenario with good challenges, although I see that the TYCOONS didn't have any problem with getting the Gold in the initial Beta version.

Will have to give it another attempt when some of the challenges are changed. :salute: {,0,}
RulerofRails
CEO

OilCan wrote:Finding the right level of difficulty when creating a new RT3 game is probably the hardest thing for me. I know the map and game story so well that I can't judge the real difficulty on my own.
RT3 is quite a "loose" game in that if you do things that are sub-par you can suffer a lot more than in RTII or other railroad games. Aside from seeding which is more important than before, the dynamic economy opens up countless combinations and possibilities. In the other games, buy a train, assign a route and you can be guaranteed to get some steady revenue. You can help things a little bit by efficient track layout, spreading supply to keep demands higher and controlling costs (lets ignore the exploitable passenger revenues based on distance in RTII), but these options pale in significance compared to what is possible in RT3 with regard to both rail (prices starting to adjust within a week of a train loading which removes oversupply or unloading which creates oversupply) and industry revenue (develop a whole resource chain, choosing the location for placing your own industries and then finally using your rails as the distribution network). Because industry conversions and resource attraction take time, industrial performance, as well as the price differential evolution depends on time as well. This makes the other games much tighter as far as the normal strategy that an average player will use (strategies are more similar between players) and he might easily see what his options are to find a bit more company performance or efficiency. Scenarios can be made more difficult for those games. For example, micro-managing is very difficult in RT3. Some of the rewards can be had by stacking and waiting for price to adjust before re-hauling, but it's "loose". You can't hope to re-haul everything and using even this in moderation will often give better results. Aside from when crazy price breakouts are involved, micro-managing itself seems almost marginal in my opinion. In RTII micro-managing was the ticket to extra performance especially with freight. With lots of effort it was possible to wring incrementally better performance from your line.

The "loose" RT3 throws out the difficult, often tedious incremental things as the cheapest/easiest way to gain advantage generally. In my mind there is no way to control every aspect. I surely tried micro-managing to get the goals the first time in Alternate USA. I even got a pen and paper and paused after every train to try not to miss a single load and complete as fast as I could. After overloading my PC with over 400 trains, I persevered for awhile, but then gave up. I went into that scenario after reading the "VERY HARD" notice in the description and assumed that it was a tight strategy scenario. Gradually I realized that strategy in RT3 is not tight, there simply are too many possible variations that it would be unfair to expect players to line up all the ducks in the correct order (make a really tight medal). This is partly ironic because I like tight goals requiring most of the ducks in the right order, but I love RT3. (Playing with personal restrictions may be an effort to tighten things up a little, though they also remove some options which is good because there are plenty anyway.)

When Nedfumpkin stopped by for a little while he posted an unfinished beta (Made in America) for TM using all pre-placed industries that has one short timeframe goal that I believe is the tightest I have seen. I still manged to find an alternative way to achieve it. This is an uncheatable goal requiring production of two goods and then haulage. It requires strong earnings for strategic track and industry, but is a lot more specific than a "general" requirement such as PNW, CBV, loads hauled etc.. In order of importance, directly behind even this goal is the requirement to make money. The complex industry setup in RT3, makes the short-term rail profits pretty variable using the most common method of seeding most buildings. Even a building on the opposite side of town to a resource may end up with a car or two less (compared to if it was a few cells closer) cargo on the map at game start because cargo takes long to reach it in the first place. The extra cargo means the price there will be less, so, not only do you get more to haul, but you also receive more per car.

Oilcan, you do a great job with adjusting seeding on the map. You consistently do the best that I have seen. Seeding will always introduce a "loose" element to the game, but I think that you could get away with some pretty tight goals on your maps without a genuine "can not be won" argument (I am yet to find a map with goals that are really impossible). Giving the player in-game options where he has a genuine choice between two things that will affect performance but still have both choices be winnable introduces further "looseness" to a game. I completely understand why this provides a more engaging experience for players (it's fun!), just saying it as it is.

Once you combine all this "looseness" both in the game engine coding itself and that from the scenario itself, even if you don't add some more time to give the player some room (10% or whatever) you end up with a scenario that isn't very tight. I have wanted to make a tight game for RT3 or TM, but I have almost given up because the "looseness" aspect provides lots of fun and variety that probably keeps people playing. This is true for me at least. I realize that the "looseness" hides the true effects of some options which makes it almost impossible for anyone to be completely sure that they did the best they possibly could while giving excellent variation between plays. Striving to get somewhat close to what is possible with the strategies I have developed in the particular game and seed that I have is one of the main reasons I keep playing. I think of the goals as a destination to reach, they set the tone of the game and what strategies will come into play. Giving the player a short time-frame will not get rid of the "looseness" of the game. This is why I never expect to see goals like reach 100M CBV in 15 years.

I can see exactly this problem of setting difficulty with a wide gap between the capabilities of various players. RT3 is a complex game to really master. There are a fair few expert level players who have learned the intricacies of industry placement/management and resource development. This is a dependable howbeit slightly boring way to win maps. To go a step further to also skim the best potential of train revenue is rare. And there is no sense in anyone saying that they found the best possible way. It could be, but you didn't try all the other options. The level of industry tycoon is where most of the better players seem to end up. I can go on like a broken record about the importance of time (as soon as you think ROI, time is part of the equation) and the great rail haulage returns available especially during the golden age of railroads, but I haven't found a good way to explain these concepts. The problem is that these strategies I have are adapted to the "looseness" of the game. They are not precise/tight strategies that would do with a "follow these steps" explanation I could write out. I feel like they are extra elements and must be combined with the game's core strategies like station placement, an in-depth understanding of price transmission (cargo supply/demand), efficient rail network for grades and distance (this has an definite effect on available express traffic), right choice of train and routing, correct industry placement, and focus on making money preferably in a way that also takes you toward the destination (game's goals). This will make the game really buzz. I don't often feel that I am pushing hard when playing and simply go with the flow of expansion.

That's a rant of my opinions, and it probably wont help you to decide the difficulty for the maps goals. I think really that you are doing a reasonable job with them as it is. They will always be a bit "loose". !#2bits#!

I forgot to mention that one thing I tried doing on this map was starting the first train from a newly connected city (preferably later in the year) as express only. I would let it fill with express and then switch it to fill the rest with freight. I figured I was losing potential money there, and since engines are cheap here, if I need another engine to handle equalizing the major freight price differentials then so be it. I also remembered that taking only some of the available passengers will drop the price of the ones that are left. Basically the same idea as empty the station of all freight. Might only be worth doing sometimes but at the right time both give the player some advantage (more profit).

I forgot exactly where the discussion of Rubber as weak cargo in the game went when thinking of the 1.06 cargo fixes, but I am feeling like the Rubber production boost from Panama isn't really worthwhile in the game. I didn't play the game till the 1920s but I didn't see much potential for Steel production which makes me wonder how much use Rubber will be overall. Maybe a warehouse or port could provide additional demand for Rubber? In the vein of spicing things up, maybe the player could only choose one or two of the production boosts. This would give the player a decision to make about whether to take closer ones early in the game, or wait until later when they could potentially buy the farms/mines involved. It would be a step to reduce the total economic potential of the map, but that's not an issue to me. I agree that the Dairies aren't needed here on the Expert level. I don't know if a novice would find them, but it might help to keep them on easier levels.

Jacmob01, welcome! Sorry you didn't make the goals. You could try to pay more attention to Weapons haulage on the map, build some Hotels (one per city after 2 or 3 years of connection) and try to get a prime industry or two running before you start shelling out big for access rights.
bmheron
Hobo

NIce map! Ive been looking for something new and this was really fun. On my first try got Gold on Expert level in December of year 20. I sold stock twice after the challenge, and once was at the end of year 20 to hit the CBV mark :-) Just to see if I could get it.
OilCan
Engineer

Final version has been sent to the Map Archives.
Corrections from the BETA version were incorporated into the final version. Thanks to all the help on that. !*th_up*!

To spice up the game and add some challenge, several new 'setbacks' were added including the 'Nicaragua Crisis'.
The port city in Mexico was changed.

This was intended to be a fairly easy game, fashioned after the game of 'Scandianvia'. It still an easy game. I've created more than enough 'difficult' games. An easy game is overdue. :-|

As always, any time game events are edited and changed around the possibility for new errors are introduced. If you find a glitch, let me know.

(I have 2 more maps about ready for BETA testing - 'Russia' and 'Canyon Lands'. After that, I may retire from map making for awhile.)
Gumboots
CEO

Cool. I'll have a go at it. !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This map is now available in the archives.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... ralAmerica

It's a shame to hear of your retirement plans from RT3 (after a couple more maps). I know I speak for others in saying you will be missed.
Maybe you'll change your mind. ;-) Our map makers list is rapidly shrinking.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay OilCan,
there are many thanks from members, of which wish you well in your retirement, but they won't appear in this web site, for the many hours of enjoying your creations. However, we hope that you will take the deserved rest, and then get back into the creations again, BUT, to take it at more of any easy pace. Longer duration of time between such creations. Now seeing that you have some creations in the works of Russia and Canyon Lands, I am looking forward the them, whenever they get posted. !*th_up*! ::!**! :salute: {,0,}
Sugus
Engineer

OilCan wrote: After that, I may retire from map making for awhile.
I very much hope that this statement will be revised soon. We simply cannot do it without map creators like OilCan.
There's no business like RT business ...
Gumboots
CEO

Well hay, if OilCan wants a break from map making, you could always make a couple for him to play. !*th_up*!
RulerofRails
CEO

Oilcan, I have been impressed that you have been making so many maps lately. I was wondering how you got the time to make them all. I completely understand that you would want a break. Well done sir!

From the maps that have been uploaded from new members such as Gondor and Union Pacific fairly recently there is some interest from newer members in making maps. If I would dare to ask you for something: some more info specifically on the way you design the economies of your maps. Maybe it is a skill that must to some extent be learned (the way I believe that playing at the maximum is), but I for one would like to know a little more about the design considerations and your thought process before tweaking the seeding settings. I know there are many ways to potentially design a map's economy, but I sure am impressed with your designs and how natural (most unlike a computer randomly throwing things around and placing many unused industries) they feel. Don't want to make you in any way feel obliged to do something when you need a break, so doesn't matter if it takes a year or whatever and I don't expect a step by step or anything like that, but a page or two overview of the basic process may give some of us the confidence to know that we can build a half decent map worth uploading.
OilCan
Engineer

I appreciate the well wishes, but I'm not going anywhere. I've simply run out of ideas for new map themes. I still enjoy RT3 and am looking forward to this winter when I'll have a ready excuse to stay indoors and play the game for hours.

I'm doing my last test run of 'Russia' before I release it as a BETA - hopefully by this week-end.

Canyon Land is BETA ready, it has been for awhile. Probably the most visually spectacular map I've made: the canyon lands of southern Utah & northern Arizona, including the Grand Canyon, in stunning color from a Google map overlay. The problem is that the game becomes routine and boring about 15 years of play, at least I think it does. I've hit a wall on how to spice it up.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote:The problem is that the game becomes routine and boring about 15 years of play, at least I think it does. I've hit a wall on how to spice it up.
Go a head and release the beta. Maybe testers can give you some ideas.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

What's the year-range for the Canyonlands map? Any real-life historical events surrounding that time period? Adding choice-events that take the game along divergent paths can make for replay value.
Thanks for your creations; I too have enjoyed playing them. Glad to hear that you're not going away completely (you can run but you can't hide!). !$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Central America Unread post

Prelude:
My play expertise is mediocre at best.
I played this map on medium difficulty.
This map is available in the archives.
http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... ralAmerica
I started in Mexico and decided to try and make some money before venturing off into the southern regions of Central America.
I built rail from Cardens to Paraiso to Tecpatan and from Cardens to Tacopalca. I ran trains until the first of the year, then laid rail from Tacopalca to Victoria to Carmen.
I then took out some bonds and bought cattle farms near Paraiso, then bought a meat packing plant in Cuidad Real and expanded rail to there. As money came in I expanded to Zapata and Salchicha and Escarcega.
I then took out a few more bonds and bought a couple more cattle farms near Escarcega, and anticipating moving into Belize, I bought all the logging camps in Mexico.
When I had the money to buy into Belize I did so, took out a couple more bonds and bought the meat packing plant and built a lumber mill in Belize City and bought all the logging camps in Belize, then built a paper mill in Belize City. I then ran rail to Corozal and Chetumal and south to Dangriga and Punta Gorda.
As the money rolled in I paid off all bonds and waited until I could buy into Guatemala from the company cash.
I did buy a furniture factory in Carmen but after 5 years that turned out to be a bust, even with me supplying it with lumber from Belize City, so I dumped it.
Once I got into Guatemala I built rail to Villaflores, Villa Corzo, San Marcos, Solola, Zacapa,and Guatemala City.
Once I had the money to buy into Honduras, I bought all the logging camps near Belize City and expanded from Punta Gorda to Porto Barrios, Morales, San Pedro and Tegucigalpa. That was the end of that line.
Once I bought into El Salvador I expanded from Zacapa to Santa Ana, San Salvador and San Miguel.
When I bought into Nicaragua I built rail from San Miguel to Choluteca, Esteli, Managua, Granada and Rivas.
Once I got into Costa Rica I built from Rivas to Liberia, San Jose, Buenas Aires, Coronado and Golfito.
Bought into Panama and stretched from David, across the mountain to Puerto Ajo and north to Guabito to buy the sheep farm there to feed the textile mill I bought in David. I then went south from Puerto Ajo to Rio Luis, La Chorrera, Pnama, Chepo, La Palma, and Yaviza.
Colombia was now open so I expanded from Yaviza to Rio Sucio, Turbo, Villa Hermosa, Monteria, Lorica, Tolu, and Cartagena.

By then it was Nov. 1909 and I only had $54,882,378 CBV. At that time I pretty much abandoned the railroad to seek financial security in industry, buying any and all profitable industry I had the money for.

I finally got Gold in May of 1913. I never did go back to any rail expansion during the industry buying frenzy, or at all really. ^**lylgh
At the end I only had 44 trains running. All Class P8's, but I started with all Connie's and swapped out what I had for the P8's when they became available.

After buying back all the bonds early in the game, I never did issue any more and I never sold any stock.

BTW! The bribe to the corrupt Nicaraguan politician worked this time, but with a 30% success rate, I guess I was just lucky. :roll:
Gold.png
Gold.png (363.84 KiB) Viewed 7805 times
Balance Sheet.jpg
Balance Sheet.jpg (45.9 KiB) Viewed 7809 times
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (35.28 KiB) Viewed 7809 times
I really enjoyed this map and will most likely try it again. Maybe next time I'll try it on a little harder difficulty level. :mrgreen:

Reviews of the beta testing of this map can be found in this thread in the RRT3 Reviews forum.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Central America Unread post

Just for kicks I loaded up the Gold save, bought access to Jamaica and built a bridge from Limpera to Montego Bay. Problem was, the trains ran out of water half way across the bridge, so I built an island for a service tower. ^**lylgh
Bridge.jpg
Bridge.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
Hawk