Borogravia (Lama)

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
OilCan
Engineer

Borogravia (Lama) Unread post

After noticing that Lama’s Borogravia was a favorite of some forum members, I decided to give it a go.

Demanding and tense are words that come to mind about this game. Also the words studious, stimulating and likable come to mind. I heartily recommend this game to all. !*th_up*!

As with most of Lama’s games, Borogravia is plainly presented yet it is no picnic to win. And very calculated; almost like playing chess. Lama cleverly uses terrain, strategically placed raw resources and widely spaced cities to create a very challenging game. Adding to the challenge, Lama set the initial productivity at 50% and industry cost at 120%, allowing them to normalize according to haulage quotas. This forces the player to make tough, make-or-break decisions about industry vs rails for much of the game.

He craftily provides a selection (random) of a ‘manager’ which cause the player to think out a strategy for best use of a manager. Knowing your company’s overhead costs is essential when selecting a manager each year.

I managed to achieve Gold with about 3 years to spare. I will divulge that it was steel plants with T&Ds, started in about year 15, which started the big cash flow. I began with a network of track to all four portal cities (based on cargo flow) before moving inland. I also ran most trains with zero minimum cars, replacing them at 15 years. Early industry HAS to turn a profit immediately because their returns are pitiful. I suggest holding back on tunnels until late in the game. Many can wait until the final connections. $3M to $5M tunnels add tremendous maintenance & overhead costs to a company. (Lama wisely made the mountains so steep & high it is almost as costly to build rail over them as to tunnel through them.)

I can see why some count this game as one of their favorites. :-D
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: Borogravia (Lama) Unread post

It has been a l-o-n-g time since I last played this scenario. I didn't have much "luck" at that time, as well as this time, to get the Gold. However, I did find it to be an amazing creation of imagination in challenges. The one item which I did find needed, was for that of engines capable of "climbing" those "steep" mountains, to enable a player to have access to the farms and mines. It definitely is a challenge for the capabilities of an advanced "Tycoon". :salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

Hadn't noticed this one before. The readme is interesting, and I'm currently looking for good 19th century maps for a bit of testing. :-D
RulerofRails
CEO

Just a heads up that this map has -50% passenger and mail production events. But it's a great map with some good opportunities for graded track. Definitely a recommended play. !*th_up*!

I was just sifting through a few saved games to check percentages of express traffic out of total loads hauled. Here with the drop in production, express represented 16.6% of traffic.

On my play, I challenged myself with only connected track and no industry except Hotels, limiting cargo supply as raw resources don't get utilized as well. For example no Steel was ever produced. I completed in the nick of time. A nice challenge.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Phew! Gold on Expert in Jan 1900! Left the final 3 tunnels for the last second as I was hoping to see the 1000th load delivered, and finally in December 1899 there it is. Certainly unique challenges to be had here! The mountains create such price differentials that until you connect a particular valley to your network, almost any industry will saturate demand and drop price to zero. I had an unprofitable textile mill for most of the game, distillery that was iffy, Steel Mill kept getting coal hauled away, dangit. Would have been nice to have a manager option of "engineer" to reduce tunneling expenses at the end there...

Still, a fairly relaxed play, don't think I even reloaded from an Autosave, just made my decisions and lived with them. Some interesting 3-grade climbs mixed in with the flats and the tunnels, but track laying was mostly low-stress. The textile mill and then distillery did serve their purpose, however, and got me off the ground with scarce cargo at the beginning, then after a few years beginning to develop rail along the edges and around the big lake, then freight took over from industry, though the steel mill/t&d combo, once it got off the ground, was a big boost in years 10-12, and always great to have goods to haul at $100/load! With a few years to go I was only at 740 loads delivered, so I doubled all the track and routes into the 4 cities and that was just enough to get me there.

I'd guess with a very tight play it should be winnable in 22-25 years... So many profit potentials I either ignored or mismanaged. I'm sure I could have gotten profits over $10M/year by year 20 if I had been dumping cargos in separate valleys and letting price gradients fully develop before hauling out again. I could have been getting $500k+ out of very short runs, rather than running the longer routes that I did for $250-$300k...

Well conceived and executed map, Lama! !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Just recoding readme files and other things, and I noticed some of the managers in this scenario will be affected by RT3 bugs. I've made a note in the readme on the archives page:
Note by Gumboots (October 2020):

Since this scenario was created, some bugs have been discovered in the game. Events that claim to increase mail revenue, or passenger revenue, will not actually work. Mail and pax revenue will remain at normal levels. Also, events that claim to improve fuel economy do not work either.

The result of these bugs is:

a/ the "Former Postmaster General" will only provide more mail (no revenue increase per load).

b/ the "Travel Agent" will only provide more passenger traffic (no revenue increase per load).

c/ the "Engine Shop Foreman" will only provide improved reliability (no decreased fuel costs).