Malawi - BETA V1.05

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
OilCan
Engineer

Malawi - BETA V1.05 Unread post

This is a 1.05V BETA of Malawi. Start 1964. 30 years of play.

The player’s task is build a national railroad across Malawi (central Africa). No stock market. No AI player.

The goals for gold are to:
(+) Connect Blantyre to Nsenje, Lilongwe, Mzimba and Karonga *and* deliver $2,000,000 worth of goods to each of the 4 towns
(+) Connect all 37 towns on the map
(+) Achieve a total company book value of $150,0000,0000
(+) Achieve a total company revenue of $200,000,000

Start with steam engines only and later switch to diesel. Exporting to neighboring countries comes with a bonus.

This is a track limited game (I don't generally like track limited games, but limiting the track allows a control to expansion that is needed in this game). Stations provide maintenance, oil & sand. No train crashes.

Comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Malawi_BETA.zip
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Malawi - BETA V1.05 Unread post

Great scenario! Lots of elements providing good strategy and a robust challenge for the player. Two thumbs up from me. !*th_up*! --- !*th_up*!

I like the engine setup. Also, without Oil/Water/Sand stops Diesel doesn't have an unfair advantage over Steam. Good map to play with D-era Steam.

Played this one three times so far. Didn't take the help. The first time I tried to do a no-industry run. I also goofed badly for a first year of $215k. Started Chilumba to Karonga, problem was I was just $15k short of the cash needed for a third (large) station in Chitipa (after initial high-revenue runs). Slightly different routing would have given me this. Anyway, I eventually realized that because of the cash cap I needed to purchase industries to reach the CBV target (on "industrial" runs I took advantage of the expensive tunnels to "park cash" once all profitable industries had been purchased). I only bought those close to 10% ROI as a way to "bank" cash. In the end I missed the medal by one year. I know this isn't really the way it's meant to played. I would have the medal that way on a second attempt I'm sure.

Other two attempts were "industrial". I bought the cheap farms to start. Rail network started around Blantyre. Bought and built industry, but tried to connect the close towns to achieve high track mileage earlier in the game. 21 years medal. Used diesel only in this play. Second attempt starting "industrial", had the first rails laid between Karonga and Chitipa. Less focused on high mileage, even sold some track a couple of months. Made up for shortfalls by getting Tanzanian exports going. Fertilizer was harder to produce this time, but effort was good enough for a 18 year medal. In my plays I did connect to some "Villages" but didn't really go out of my way for them except if there was a farm or two nearby (preferably that I could catch with a Large Station).

It's purely a cosmetic thing, but the setup of the events to count revenue to specific towns can leave the wrong display active in the ledger if you reach the target revenue before connecting the town to the capital. Not really an issue at all, but using "+1" instead of "Set to" on the Territory Variable would solve this.

Other comment is that there is no demand for Rice except at Houses, while Warehouses are also set to produce a small amount. In late game I felt that demand was a little soft. Clothing, less so, but also softer than ideal IMO. I realize that these things could have been intentional. I think it would be better to control the profit available from these things by using a price reduction event specifically for those commodities and have more outright demand at a warehouse or port somewhere. !#2bits#!

PS.
Oilcan, I see you read through the engine stuff enough to see that Engine Maintenance is the best tool that a map maker has for adjusting engine running cost. ;-) Also, have you realized all along that the game's random generator for buildings doesn't work properly the first time after launching the game that a scenario is started? Info on that here.
OilCan
Engineer

RulerofRails, thanks for the comments and review. As always, your remarks are very helpful.

I'll make the adjustments you recommended to the ledger. I'll also add some demand for rice. Rice is not a strong commercial crop in Malawi - its mainly a household food. Most all clothing is imported into Malawi. I needed some industry in Malawi (there is not much), so I make clothing a low key industry inside Malawi.

The quirky random generator is an interesting find. If I understand what was described, whenever I start up the RT3.exe file (say for example, today when I sit down at my laptop to play RT3), I should start a game (any game will do), close to main menu and then start the game I wish to play. Is this correct?
RulerofRails
CEO

OilCan wrote:The quirky random generator is an interesting find. If I understand what was described, whenever I start up the RT3.exe file (say for example, today when I sit down at my laptop to play RT3), I should start a game (any game will do), close to main menu and then start the game I wish to play. Is this correct?
Yep. You got it. :salute:
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Finally got this done over 4 weeks! Buliding over the terrian was fun. (See my next post) Lost of events to keep the player engaged. Tho, I've soured on the use of industry in this game. Limiting the the track building forces the player to buy indy instead. Thats y it took me 3 weeks to go thru the first 13 years Plus other factors. Once I removed the track limitations after year ~10 and got the ball rolling I finshed the final 17 years in one session yesterday. Good map. I did not trash it right away after one play like I do with 85% of maps! I'm good with geography ("creepy" good by American standards) but I couldn't tell u where Mawaii was, Central Africa? West Africa? You could have even sold me it was in SE Asia! A Fake nation? Again, good job giving the player traction early in the game. Will try again on expert when it comes available in the archives
BTW whoever this dictator was in the game was my puppet by the end. I had every profitable industry/farm on the map. Plus enough to raze any near by buildings that could threaten my currents ones. :lol:
tmp_7537-Itsover187487262.jpg
Used 1.06 w/ pi
tmp_7537-1.06pi37714084.jpg
No real flaws that I remember, but to nitpick:

Lilongwe in the ledger continues to count past $2m.

Is there a way to disable the dividend? Other than set to zero?or Maybe disable changing the dividend rate and say that dividend pays the dictator! Adds to the theme!

Don't read to much into me removing the track limit. My first play in a user map is on normal, and I'm not trying very hard. You know. Some of the user maps may have events that wipe out your progress. if you go down the wrong path.

Increasing the limit a tad may not be an issue.
Last edited by Cash on Wheels on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
OilCan
Engineer

Thanks for testing the game.

I'm curious about allowing the track to become unlimited. Did this greatly speed up your expansion or did you notice any change in how fast you expanded out your rails. (And why did you change from having limited track? Was being limited in track too frustrating...or something else?)

Do you recall which of the four cities you connected to before connecting to Lilongwe? Or was it the very first of the four cities? I'm trying to figure out why it didn't change its status.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:Great scenario! Lots of elements providing good strategy and a robust challenge for the player. Two thumbs up from me. !*th_up*! --- !*th_up*!

I like the engine setup. Also, without Oil/Water/Sand stops Diesel doesn't have an unfair advantage over Steam. Good map to play with D-era Steam.
I'll take a look at this one. I assume you were using QJ's?
RulerofRails
CEO

QJs aren't available. I used the U1 (low fuel costs make it one of my favorites, incidentally no maintenance stops means Oil is always 100%, so breakdowns aren't too bad when using cabooses), then when it was retired (custom date controlled via event) I bought a few Class 01s before moving to Red Devils (lowered maintenance costs makes them more attractive than usual).

Oilcan, the problem with the status occurs for any quota that is met before the city-"territory" in question is connected to Blantyre. So we have T.V. #1 with a value of "2". Then when the cities are connected, Territory Variable #1 is set to "1" so status now displays the count on revenue whether or not the quota has been reached (Game Variable #1 is still correctly tracking completions so this doesn't affect chance for medals).

I would probably tend to split the status messages for connection and revenue into two independent processes. But I'm sure there's other neat ways to do this. :-)

Cash on Wheels, Is that an overpass I see on the far right of your 1st screenshot?
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:QJs aren't available.
Oh well, I can fix that easily enough. :-D I wouldn't even consider using the Class 01 for D era freight. I've tried it before and it's far too gutless on any grade, and far too expensive to run. Besides which, the Class 01 and U1 are not the sort of locos that would ever have been sent to Malawi. The old grunters like the QJ are a much better fit, IMO.
OilCan
Engineer

RulerofRails wrote:Oilcan, the problem with the status occurs for any quota that is met before the city-"territory" in question is connected to Blantyre. So we have T.V. #1 with a value of "2". Then when the cities are connected, Territory Variable #1 is set to "1" so status now displays the count on revenue whether or not the quota has been reached (Game Variable #1 is still correctly tracking completions so this doesn't affect chance for medals).
Ohhhh...I see. !facepalm! That shouldn't be too hard to fix, I hope.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

OilCan wrote:Thanks for testing the game.

I'm curious about allowing the track to become unlimited. Did this greatly speed up your expansion or did you notice any change in how fast you expanded out your rails. (And why did you change from having limited track? Was being limited in track too frustrating...or something else?)

Do you recall which of the four cities you connected to before connecting to Lilongwe? Or was it the very first of the four cities? I'm trying to figure out why it didn't change its status.
I started out with an upgraded lumber mill in Mzimba. My first station was in Lilongwe, then connected Dedza & Namiete. Later I started another section in Mzimba and worked my way north.

My last post was been rewritten & see below.
RulerofRails wrote: Cash on Wheels, Is that an overpass I see on the far right of your 1st screenshot?
Good eye. I use overpasses to get over rough terrian.
Gumboots
CEO

I've started a play through of this map. Muffed it the first time. Tried a rail-only start and went down the tubes fairly rapidly.

I found the trick is to grab the few just-placed farms right at the start, when they are just starting to make a profit. Have invested in a bit of other good industry as well, including the seeded sawmill at Nkhata Bay and a furniture factory I built right next to it. The eleven towns from Blantyre right around to Nkhata Bay are connected, with a hotel in every town. Am now at April 1972 with CBV of $11 million and annual income of $2 million in a normal economy.

A bit of a tricky start if you don't know what to look for. High bond rates and limited track are not too irritating, which is surprising. There's still enough to do once you have enough cash to start laying track. I've been running U1's only, because of their cheap fuel cost, and with a caboose because of their comparatively poor reliability.

Using the 242 A1, or particularly the Challenger, would absolutely kill your profits on this map. Quite honestly I'm not sure why they're even an option, unless it's to torture the unwary. The H10 2-8-2 would be acceptable once things get going. Reliable enough to run without a caboose, and with slightly more grunt up hills compared to the U1, but with the drawback of 25% higher fuel costs.

Anyway it's looking like an interesting scenario. Gotta love the scenery. :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This map has been added to the archives.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... htm#Malawi
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

I always enjoy playing OilCan's creations. As he knows that I don't like extreme mountains, he also takes the initiative to have some type of paths to get to the top of the ones which are of a greater elevation that the norm of the rest of the landscape.
Besides that, there is always the "surprise" of either "connecting" cities, or attaining some "event", which rewards the player with some sort of playing benefit. "Tracks or cash", both of which are in this scenario.

In some scenarios, a player has to attain access to other territories for some "huge" amount. OilCan, at least in this scenario is content with a "modest" amount. Maybe it makes playing easier, and possibly too easy for the Tycoon, but I find it beneficial to my level of capabilities. There are enough challenges to make for an interesting creation.

Thanks again for your endeavor of creation of imagination OilCan. :salute: {,0,}
low_grade
Dispatcher

Just played this through on Expert, after an unsatisfactory 4-5 year industry start that left me feeling too far behind on building a rail network. This time 3 years on industry. Start Salima to Lilongwe and get to Chipata quick. Met haulage goals in 18 years, finished connections in Jan 1985. Only built a couple country connections (villages...) Double tracked a fair bit, which considering that I made the company and haulage goals before connections, probably could have done it in 19-20 years.

Track rewards for village connections would be cool. Also, vast swathes of the map are resource scarce. Maybe more resources near farther out "villages" and fewer resources near cities could lead to a better developed map and more of a challenging 25ish year gold on Expert.
OilCan
Engineer

low_grade wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:12 pm Also, vast swathes of the map are resource scarce. Maybe more resources near farther out "villages" and fewer resources near cities could lead to a better developed map and more of a challenging 25ish year gold on Expert.
Thanks for the helpful comments. To be truthful, it was hard developing a challenging game for Malawi - but I tried. The long, narrow shape of the country restricts a lot of options for a player to spread out on a map. It was hard not to do anything else but have a daisy chain of city connections. Added to this is the fact that Malawi is an extremely impoverished country with a weak agriculture economy. This limits the industry options in RT3. I fudged a little in adding a bauxite to goods industry chain and a wool to clothing industry chain.
low_grade
Dispatcher

As I've long said, I much prefer a good story to the truth, lol! What I failed to say, nice map, enjoyable play and routing!
Gumboots
CEO

I must finish playing this one. I started it, and it was looking like a good one, but I've been sidetracked into modelling new assets. I must try to remember that the reason I want new assets is so I can play games with them. :lol:
low_grade
Dispatcher

My pattern is, I find a great game, I geek out on it analyzing as I play to get better, then go full on meta, figuring out the nuts and bolts not because it will make me better any more, but just because I'm curious. I'll play less than I analyze after about a year, and keep digging, or modding, for a year or three more. Then I'll get distracted, come back a couple years later, and honestly play more but still geek out a bit. Then after 6 months drop it again, come back a couple years later and just play. Good games never die. I'll keep coming back to RT3 as long as there are still computers that can run it. And I'll probably keep an old laptop just in case.

Thanks again for bringing new scenarios, Oilcan! !!clap!!
Gumboots
CEO

Well, I went looking for my saved game and found that I'd started it in my test installation, which of course has had umpteen changes to consist cars since I last played this one, meaning it no longer works. I'll have to start a new game. *!*!*!