Age of Steam III - Big Valley For Your Review

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Big Valley For Your Review Unread post

Hawk wrote:I'm guessing you already know this, but if you run track from one low elevation, across the mountain to another low elevation, it will automatically build a tunnel, if you get your track lined up right.
;-).
Big Valley grade.jpg
Big Valley grade.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 5158 times
Here's a screen of the route I thought to build, with about 900k of capital including stations. This is from my current play and you can see my large station at the top of the screen that covers the Dairy farms. A tunnel would be cool, but, oh, so unaffordable. Rotating the camera does help. *!*!*! But I neglected to do this before setting up for an attempt on my first play.

The other thing I meant with my post about judging the terrain is how the price map is going to respond and how long before an industry in the geographically (in terms of the price map) remote areas will last as a profitable industry before supply is saturated and it gives a poor ROI below 10% or even starts losing money. Most industries seem to last 10 years if starting in a red supply zone, but, I seek to know, will demand there be sustainable when the limited track makes a rail connection a coveted luxury for most places? I am almost sure at this stage that the cheaper rail is going to help me support more industries and make me end up with more profit overall. Time to find out.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:A tunnel would be cool, but, oh, so unaffordable.
Oh yea! I forgot to mention: Tunnels ain't cheap. ;-)
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

I finished this attempt. My plan of industries until Tennessee opened went pretty well. Maxing out bonds on industries gave me a little lull that I could possibly have managed better. Textile Mills were my best ROI performers early on. (BTW, paying off the taxes to enter Tennessee over five years is cheaper than the lump. 250k x 5 = 1.25M which is less than the lump sum of 2M which is apparently interest free :-? .) The effect of this strategy was that I had bought lots of industry before it increased in price. Still, I suspect that a strategy that involves getting the 2M express speed cash bonus at the start of the second year will end up being a quicker route to success. This time I also realized that the Kentucky threat for not connecting is a bluff, so I built industry there instead. So many things to discover about the map. :-)

By 1910 when Tennessee opened (I chose Virginia as my "starting territory" even though I really started in North Carolina), I had over 2,500 track pieces saved up. Within a couple of years the Memphis to Knoxville route was complete as well with a much straighter track layout this time. Almost immediately my company started earning 10M per year up from around 3M. After using up all that saved track, I turned the focus back to industries. I had better ideas this time as to what would work. This time I focused on the industrial side more. A great tip is to build Tire Factories and Aluminum Mills to harness the plentiful supplies from the Warehouses. As these are new cargoes, this is a good opportunity for building new industries before the computer does. The profits are great too. I ended up with 4 upgraded Auto Plants on the map which are all visible in the screenshots below. Hawk, both attempts I have tended to build up one town into a real manufacturing hub. Nice strategy idea I learned from you. I have tried to adapt here as it fits my play style of this scenario really well. Thanks!

This time I picked all the cheapest track options. Ironically, I didn't even notice that speeds were less, as by the time I was running trains other than the Shay the first engine upgrade had wiped out the speed reduction to put speeds back to normal. This choice really is a no-brainer. After looking in the events to try to decipher why the engines look much better in the stats than they perform the first time round, I can be quite sure about this. The track maintenance increase is nothing. Cheaper track will have less maintenance so this is really just balanced out. Maybe the cost is slightly higher, but the extra track is totally worth that slight cost. Also the overhead reductions aren't worth it either. The war will send your overhead into the roof, whichever track choice you made earlier. There is no way to avoid paying gobs of maintenance near the end of this one. Again, there is a small difference, but the extra track represents plenty of haulage revenue which will more than cover the extra overhead costs. And finally, with all the engine upgrades coming your way that will make your engines into thirsty speed demons, I don't see the need for the speed increase. Forget the better rail options. Cheap and sweet for me!

Here's a screenshot of the end of the 21st year with one section of my motor manufacturing enterprise in Paw Paw Junction. I was 5M off the CBV target, so had to wait another year.
Big Valley bridge.jpg
Big Valley bridge.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
Notice how my average express speed is 53mph even though I was running all trains as haul anything including my two original faithful Shays that were with me to the end.

This is the story: my initial connections in 1910 didn't attract any passengers to a fast route, so in 1911 I ran a Pacific (I had one engine upgrade by this time) with one passenger car downhill from Bear Wallow to Coleburn. This resulted in a speed record train with a speed of 56mph. But, at year end my ledger showed an average express speed of 74mph! I got the bonus. Then I re-purposed my train consists from only freight to any cargo as I wanted to make use of the express events. My average speeds each year in the ledger were between 30 and 35mph. With more trains near the end this dropped to 29mph the final year. At first my average express speed as shown in the ledger would drop 2 or 3 mph per year, then this decreased to only one mph decrease in the final year. I am doubtful that express was hauled that much faster than freight as I wasn't using any special priority trains and everything was on auto consist. This effect is possibly due to the way the game handles those years when I didn't haul any express.

So say my express speed is 74 per year in the 12th year of the game (I have no idea why the speed record award speed was different to this). In order for the game to display this as true it would have to in effect make the average express speed for all the previous years 74. As I had already played 12 years at this point that would be a cumulative 888/12=74. Adding a new year of say 35mph to this total would give a result the next year of (888+35)/13=71. The next year with a speed of 34mph I could calculate (888+35+34)/14=68. This is exactly the kind of thing that I observed in this game. This means that it would take a LONG time before average speed would drop below 40mph in this game. Not that it matters very much here, but it may prove useful for future strategy. Anybody think this sounds right from their observations?

Well, I was focusing on Express here by building a Hotel, Restaurant, Tavern, and Post office in almost every city. I only built one of each per city so as not abuse the high revenue they give here. My Knoxville Hotel report 359k profit one year, so they are definitely worth the effort when you chose the express bonuses. I also earned plenty of revenue from hauling all that express. As seen from this screenshot taken just after the medal,
Big Valley company balance.jpg
Big Valley company balance.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
train/track/station operating costs of 67.5M are almost paid for by the 65.2M express provided. Factor in the Hotel/R/T profits and express is a good deal!

This play my newest engines was the Mikado. I bought 6 or so of them for the Bristol - Erwin - Bryson City route so I could run 8 cars up instead of the 4 I was running with Pacifics. Otherwise, my engines were Pacifics east of Nashville and Atlantics west of Nashville with 3 Mikados mixed in there. This time I had 100 trains at the end all running 8 cars without cabooses.

I was plucky this time and was sure enough that I would get the medal before I might get sued, so I didn't pay for insurance. :twisted: As in the last play I paid off all bonds at the end, but unlike last time when I paid off around 8.5M of personal debt with dividends, this time I had 100% company control throughout with the 2M cash bonus wiping my max of 640k debt out without paying out a single dividend. After the first 3 years when I was issuing stock to get bonds for a Textile Mill, I didn't issue any more bonds so my debt was being controlled by my salary early on.

I am not confident that this is the best way to win this one, but it was great fun to play it with this slant. I felt a lot more in control of the map with the experience from last time, and got the order of industry investments cleaner this time to make a better economy. Still plenty of room for improvement though. I now realize that the new cargoes being introduced are the place where a considerable portion of potential for investment in brand new industries lies. So I don't feel so constricted in gameplay and wasn't frustrated about where to build a new industry this time. Sorry the screenshots are blurry, I think I need to adjust my compression settings some more. That's it from me on this one, on to the next scenario. :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:Sorry the screenshots are blurry, I think I need to adjust my compression settings some more.
What image editing program are you using to convert to jpg?
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk wrote:What image editing program are you using to convert to jpg?
IrfanView. Recently I was using a plugin where I could set the file size, but these ones I did at 50% quality. And did them while playing, so don't have the original to redo them from. I can turn the quality up, but then file size increases. My game looks so beautiful at 1600x1200 resolution, but it doesn't come through in the screens. :-( I like IrfanView because it is quick to load and easy to use, I have GIMP as well but that thing is painfully slow to load, so never use it. What do you use? I will do some research on how to use the settings to better effect.

ETA, I was trying to adjust settings myself but discovered that there is a whole other section of the program to save for the web which will do most of the adjustments to optimize size automatically. I don't want to make the image too big, as I tend to post a few. What is the ideal size to aim for?

Here's a test shot. I am much happier with this one. It is over double the size of the others though. Maybe I need to get in the habit of cropping too, but I normally can't fit enough in a shot.
Pacific compression test b.jpg
Pacific compression test b.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Quality-wise seems ok, for 75% to me. What do you think?

ETA, sorry I goofed the attachment. I blame lack of sleep. I had a 1024x768 one and then remembered it should be 800x600. Here's an additional test image showing the ledger this time. To me the ledger looks good, the date and company cash are still on the blurry side. These shots are from a save part way through this play.
Hotel ledger compression test.jpg
Hotel ledger compression test.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's my Irfanview jpg settings, and it works out pretty good.
Irfanview.jpg
Irfanview.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 5772 times
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Thanks Hawk! I was using this with the progressive JPG enabled but none of the "Keep ... " options ticked. Are they to try to prevent quality loss upon re-saving? This is what I was using at 70% then I tried the set file size RIOT option which was no better but can compress heavily. Then I switched off the RIOT plug-in and tried 50% to try to keep the file size small.

But these latest shots I went to the File Menu and clicked Save for Web. This is the screen that appears:
Save for web.jpg
Save for web.jpg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
This shot was made with the same settings are visible. This option gives me a good idea of what the program is doing and seems easier to understand for someone like me who am not familiar with compression options. (I had assumed in the past that this option was some sort of export that would somehow email your images off.) So far I have found that the date and company cash letters are clearest without any Chroma subsampling. Here is a real-size shot that shows what I see on my screen:
Date and Company Cash real-size uncompressed.jpg
Date and Company Cash real-size uncompressed.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
Shamough
Conductor

Hi William, !!howdy!!

Great Map and game concept! {,0,} !!clap!! !$th_u$!

Big Valley Problems:

Spelling: Mississippi
Grammar: An "in to" should be "into"

Use the following for V1.05
  • EVENTS:
    ... Wreck Of The Express
    ... Wreck-COPY
    ... More Bad News
    ... More Bad News-COPY
    ... Even More Bad News-COPY
    ... Even More Bad News
    ... Court Case-A
    ... L&N Sued
    ... L&N Sued-2
    ... Court Case
    ... Court Case-2
    ... Hindsight 20/20
    ... Save the Co.

I suggest a new EVENT (I like to place it above the train wreck events.)

EVENT: Random Roll for Wreck
    * Monthly (End of month)
    CONDITIONS:
    X One time only event
    * On screen player only
    ... Game Year and Month = 192701
    ... Random 1 to 100 <= 45 (train wreck when true)
    ... Force test against players
    EFFECTS:
    ... Player Variable 1 = 1 (We had a wreck) (RT3 sets this to 0 at the begining of the game.)

Now test all of the EVENTS listed above for Player Variable 1 > 0 (WRECK HAPPENED!)
Hans
Last edited by Shamough on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I use the plain old 'Save as' option. I never tried that 'Save for Web (PlugIn)' option before. I just tried it and there's just a little bit of difference, but not much.
I used a full size RT3 tga screenshot that started out at 5,121 KB. I did not crop or resize. Selecting the 'Save as' option with the settings I use it came out at 236 KB. Using the 'Save for Web' option it came out at 283 KB.
As for visual differences; the only thing I saw was the red line for a slow train was a little brighter using the 'Save for Web' option.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Shamough wrote:Hi William, !!howdy!!

Great Map and game concept! {,0,} !!clap!! !$th_u$!

Big Valley Problems:

Spelling: Mississippi
Grammer: An "in to" should be "into"
It should be "grammar". ;-)
Shamough
Conductor

Gumboots wrote:
Shamough wrote:Grammer: An "in to" should be "into"
It should be "grammar". ;-)
In high school they gave me a battery of tests... I scored 97 percentile on abstract reasoning and 3% on spelling. :oops:

Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Where can I find this map? I don't see it on the North America list for RTIII maps on the map archive.

Edit: Found it - Age of Steam III-Big Valley
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks MSU, as I was wondering the same thing. :salute: {,0,}
low_grade
Dispatcher

Re: Age of Steam III - Big Valley For Your Review Unread post

And gave this one another spin today, too, gold on Expert Jan 1926 without trying very hard. Started in KY, just a Lumber Mill in the woods, and then connected most of KY in a linear fashion. Again, very generous map, built many profitable industries I don't usually try, like stacking an Auto Plant and a Weapons Factory on the same grid.

But what I really want to say is, back when I first discovered RT3 and this website, it was finding maps like this outside of the Poptop content that really got me hooked. The effort and dedication these guys spent on crafting, for free, such quality scenarios for me was proof that this is a great game, and I should keep delving into it. So thanks again to Will Sherrick, wherever he is, you helped get me hooked!