NSW - North, south & west

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: [BETA] Blue Mountains revamp Unread post

I am coming to the conclusion that the real problem is that I'm too good at using bonds. :lol: Of course, I did design the system I'm trying to rort so I suppose that's an unfair advantage.

I reduced the kick-in points to $2m, $4m and $6m. IOW, you can only have $1.5m of debt before the first 2 level reduction in your credit rating. This is much more severe than the original scenario, which only ever dropped it one level at > $3 million debt. Still ended up with the full $10 million, although this time it did take me until 1865 and I had to put up with an average interest rate of just under 8%. This was even with a very tight start than went into recession in 1857 and stayed there for a few years. Once the economy swung up again things got a lot easier.

The catch is that once you really start making money, which isn't hard with this scenario once you have enough expansion in place, you can save enough in one year to let you pay down a substantial chunk of your debt. It does mean flat-spotting growth for a while, but the pay-off (literally) is that when your credit rating resets to only -2 and the economy is booming, you can take out a pile of bonds at 7% and then top off the full $10 million with a range of 8-10% bonds.

So, I may have to make it harder again. :-D One thing I thought of would be to not wind back the credit rating as much. IOW, I could set it so that you get your full 2 levels back if you never get to $4m debt, and just oscillate between 0 and $3.5m, but if you go into the $4m-$5.5m bracket you still lose another 2 levels on the way up, but only get 1 back on the way down, then if you go into the $6m+ bracket you lose 2 levels on the way up but don't get any back on the way down.

That would make things a tad trickier, because if you go over $6m once you'd have to pay down to $1.5m to get a maximum possible rating of BBB, and if you go up and down more than once your rating would get totally hammered if you let the tracking events tick over while you're refinancing, and you have to let those events tick over to take advantage of any reset.
Gumboots
CEO

OK, that works. I got stuck on $8 million on bonds for most of the 1860's, and managed to jack it up to $10 million around 1869. I didn't really need to by then. I just did it to see if I could and what interest rate I could get (average 7.6%, as it turns out). This was with a reasonable economy overall, turning to boom in the late 1860's, so this bond/credit scale would still be workable (albeit trickier) with a dismal economy.

I'll probably tweak it some more, but the basic principle of taking some credit rating away permanently is a good one for this map. !*th_up*!
RulerofRails
CEO

Sounds like a good plan. When reading I was thinking that you could put an event to cap the maximum, so that it never gets out of hand if somebody unknowningly triggers a threshold many times (even though it's inadvisable some people do try to pay their bonds down at various points of the scenario). But maybe you thought of that already. . . .
Gumboots
CEO

They'll learn the hard way. :lol: I can always put a note in the briefing, or I can add an explanatory dialogue when they cross the first threshold.

I have this thing playing well now, on the whole. I'll adjust the overall building growth rate curve, as I think the scenario is still getting a bit too big, a bit too fast. It needs to be "hollowed out" somewhat in the mid game. I'm may also adjust basic building density and/or express production on some of the tiny towns way out west. The Goulburn-Yass-Galong line has scant traffic, wheres IRL it was a major artery that linked Melbourne and Sydney, so a moderate boost to express production would make sense there.

The other case is the area around Sydney. Due to the closely spaced cities and good links with Newcastle and the South Coast, pax numbers in the Sydney area get absolutely mental by 1870. Admittedly I am using hotels in most cities there, but I'm not spamming them with multiple hotels per city. It has me thinking that once you are out of the earliest years, and providing you kept a minimal number of freight trains to handle essential haulage just for track bonuses, etc, it might be possible to play this almost as a pure express map for a change.

That could be an interesting challenge. There is a lot of scope for express routing once things get going, and it can be highly lucrative. The regular Parramatta-Newcastle express trains hauled by a 14 Class often haul trains worth $300-400k each. Other 14's running around the Sydney area can return $150-200k per year, even when the high pax numbers drop individual cars prices there to quite low levels.

Which reminds me: I have been tweaking the loco stats for the NSWGR roster. I was looking at the way things were performing a couple of days ago, and there were issues. The 14 Class was too strong up hills, so had to be adjusted with more free weight and less pulling power. There wasn't enough differentiation between the 6N and 17 classes either, so that needs tweaking too. That got me thinking about your old points regarding fuel usage in this era. With the low car weights necessary for a good progression over 200 years, the early locos have to be low in weight as well if the effects of loco weight are not to outweigh consist variations. That means we need the high fuel ratings to get good differentiation between classes in this era. So yes, you were right. :-D

I've set my RT3.lng so that, in terms of display, the lowest rating is Very Poor. The text for that is duplicated in the language strings for the old lower ratings (Atrocious and Extremely Poor). This lets me use any numbers I like without every loco being "Atrocious", which is a term that puts me off, and which I think would put other people off too. The 14 Class and 23 Class fuel economy has been boosted to 13 and the 8 Class 2-2-2WT has been boosted to 18. They're still perfectly good and profitable express locos in this scenario (it raises annual running costs by around 50%/$10k). Loco stats are still evolving, but are looking better all the time. !*th_up*!
Note to self: these higher fuel ratings will require an adjustment to the event that emulates "lower fuel costs" as a percentage of company overhead.
Another note, to anyone: I'm finding this map lends itself to "stack and dump" tactics once things get rolling. Freight trains could probably be used exclusively for stack and dump tricks, with no regular freight runs at all, and all the regular runs (apart from the wool trains) being express only. This may be the most lucrative way of handling the map.
In my latest play I also went with a double station at Parramatta. Parramatta is normally a major bottleneck. Splitting traffic between two stations seems to improve things markedly for minimal cost. I put them right next to each other on the same line. The standard station handles all traffic from the line that runs via Liverpool out to Yass, as well as traffic on the Penrith - Richmond - Windsor circuit and the Blue Mountains line. The second Parramatta station, just to the east of the first one, handles traffic on the Sydney - Hurstville - South Coast lines, as well as traffic coming down from Newcastle and Gosford. This ends up being a roughly equal split for traffic, and works very well. Once that section is double tracked four trains can pull into the two stations simultaneously and unload, without interfering with each other. It makes a big difference.

Naturally I'm also using a bypass that runs from the bridge just west of Penrith, direct to a second station in the Sydney Port territory. IOW, it skips the whole Penrith - Parramatta - Sydney line entirely, and lets wool trains go direct to the port once they are past the Blue Mountains. Same deal: heaps better traffic flow once wool trains start rolling in. Wool trains from Yass come down the Moss Vale - Wollongong line, then bypass Hurstville and go straight to the port station. Once you have enough track to get away with building these bypasses they are well worth having. (0!!0)
Gumboots
CEO

Had an idea about excessive amounts of cash in this one. It's a government railway so, at the discretion of the ministers, any profit can basically go towards the general state budget. It wouldn't necessarily be firewalled for use of the railway only. Just as the government would step in to back up the railway as part of the state's vital infrastructure, it could also legitimately take money from railway accounts.

It wouldn't be hard to code events to check company cash vs company debt, and do something like "IF cash > $10m AND debt < $5m THEN nick $4m off the railway so the ministers can pork barrel their electorates and go to Bali for Christmas while hiding their expenses for said lurks under essential civic upgrades". Which would be par for the course for Australian politics. :D

That would deal with insanely large bank balances later in the game, and would add a bit of amusement too. Given that large balances earn hardly any interest anyway there's little point in holding onto them. With a maximum of 3% interest available above $5m it makes far more sense to buy or build any industry that will return even as low as 4%. It will still make the company stronger than just leaving the cash in the bank.

Another possibility is it nicks your cash, as above, but you get a message from the Premier telling you how chuffed the government is about the profitability of the railway, and how happy they are that they will be able to hide the naughty holidays under the guise of renovating the state's museum, and kindly ordering you a free 60 pieces of track in exchange for the millions they just nicked. That would open up the option of deliberately not buying up industry if you were in a situation where you thought the extra track was more useful. Just let your bank balance build up, wait for the government to take some, and pick up the extra track you want. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Here's a bit of fun. I've been finding it a PITA to keep track of my loads of Alcohol running around the map when I'm trying to nail the yearly Tavern revenue bonuses. So, I finally did something I've been meaning to do for ages. I made some Alcohol reefers. :D

B_era_booze_reefers.jpg

These are obviously just a quick reskin on the default models, which is what the custom reefer eras are currently using anyway, but they're a bit of fun and will make tracking loads much easier. I've only done them for the time frame of this map, which means B and C eras. That's all I could be bothered with this morning, and all I need for the moment. (0!!0)
zzc
Watchman

I add that coffee and alcohol default trucks look similar, possibly use the same art?
Gumboots
CEO

Eh? Coffee just travels in standard boxcars.
Gumboots
CEO

Still tweaking this thing, but I think I'm on the home stretch. I've reduced track bonuses for haulage, since once the railway is extensive the amount of track you could get each year via haulage was getting bonkers. There are still three possible bonuses for hauling 20/40/60 Lumber, but the amount of track from each has been reduced from 60 units to 40. Similar deal with the haulage bonuses for Wool and Steel. They're down to 20 units of track for any of 10, 20 or 30 loads of each cargo.

However, since Wool is effectively unavailable early in the game, and Steel isn't produced in significant quantities until around 1861, I've added an Iron haulage bonus early in the game. Same haulage targets and bonuses as for Steel, but with the difference that the bonus for Iron is halved at the beginning of 1861, and then gets phased out at the end of 1864 (by which time Ports have completely shifted to producing the more profitable Steel). This will provide a bit of an edge early in the game, and provide a bit more interest. You'll be able to generate the same total amount of track bonuses as before early in the game, but do it with more variety of cargoes hauled.

The other thing is Camden. IRL it's pretty tiny, and always has been, and it wasn't connected by rail in this time frame anyway. The Sydney area is already bonkers for economic activity and I don't think Camden would really be missed. Picton is actually a much bigger town IRL, as are Mittagong and Moss Vale. So I'm thinking I'll basically transfer bits of Camden to those towns and boost their seeding density slightly. This should provide a smoother spread of rail traffic over that line, as at the moment it's generally pretty dead.

To keep the same number of towns and replace Camden I'm thinking of adding Tallong, a small town halfway between Moss Vale and Goulburn. Again, a fairly dead route as things stand, and could benefit from a bit more interest. Overall I think this substitution will improve the scenario. !*th_up*!

Tallong.jpg

I've also tweaked the topography a bit to make a few spots more realistic, which also has the advantages of making for better train rides and cheaper tunnels. The new tunnels lay in easily providing you approach them from the right direction (will provide instructions in a readme). The tunnel down from Waterfall to the coast has a 4% grade, and represents the 8 tunnels it took to do the job in real life, one of which (the Otford Tunnel) was notorious for frequently being almost lethal to passengers and crew on steam trains.

Waterfall_tunnel.jpg

The track down Cowan Bank and the tunnel through to Woy Woy are now more in keeping with the real line (as near as they can be with an RT3 map at this scale). Since I know that line well the old map was bugging me, so I figured I should sort it so it didn't bug me.

Woy_Woy_tunnel.jpg
Gumboots
CEO

Got an RC4 version running last night, after deciding on the copious tweaks. It's all good generally, but the bonds thing again...

Started off rail-only. Laid track Sydney in 1855, then Newcastle in 1857 (just for historical purposes and fun). Since it's rail-only with two small systems and a reasonably tight seeding, not much profit, but doing alright until things start evening out. Gets to the point where serious expansion is needed to keep things going.

Had kept debt quite low ($3.5m max) as not much to do if only using rail. Credit rating therefore quite decent. Economy went from Normal to Prosperity around 1857 then to Booming around 1859. So here I am, short of bucks, needing serious expansion, good credit rating, and reasonable amounts of profit to coming in.

Obvious hard core solution: postpone expansion for a year, take a hit on no track bonuses, pay down debt to $1.5m to get credit rating as high as possible, wait for 1860 new year to tick over. So new year ticks over and it's 1860. Oh look, I have an AAA rating in an economy with a 5% prime rate. You can guess what happens next. Go nuts on bonds, all the way to the $10 million limit in one go, for an average interest rate of 6.1%. *!*!*!

I'm coming to the conclusion that if anyone really knows how to use bonds, and how to calculate the various trade-offs, then if circumstances are suitable they will pretty much do what I did and there's no sane way of stopping them, unless you want to totally kill the option of ever using bonds heavily (which I don't really want to do). I'm probably going to stop trying to think of ways of nobbling things, and just leave the coding as it is.

Situation in early 1860 is that I have both rail expansion and some industry to back it up. I can obviously win the scenario from this point. I'll play it through just to double check everything, then try a few more seeds. Will post a copy as soon as I'm pretty sure it's free of dumb errors.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Blue Mountains revamp Unread post

IMO, a threshold system isn't going to handle re-financing very well. You had an idea awhile back:
Gumboots wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:42 pm If something like that turns out to be necessary I think it would be better to check company debt vs time, since company debt is what is going to be affected by taking out bonds. So you could check for large changes in company debt within a period of one month, or even a period of three months, as an example of someone refinancing with the game paused. A possible penalty would be to add floods to the game, with a temporary reduction in locomotive speed and economy state to simulate the effects.

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want the player to think about taking less bonds, but are unwilling to change prime rate enough to make that a natural decision?

I had a little idea for that:
You tied fuel cost to overhead. Why not scrap thresholds and replace it with some effect that is a penalty directly tied to your current debt level. Many options, but I think engine maintenance could be an interesting one. :idea:
Gumboots
CEO

I'm just trying to make it so I don't immediately go for max bonds, and have to give the progression of bonds some strategic thought (apart from the obvious one of "let's grab as much cash for the company as fast as possible") while still allowing them to be used fairly freely if you are cunning and patient.

Which, I must admit, seems to have been the case in this last test play. If the economy had been adverse it would have added more considerations for longer, and would have effectively prevented me from doing what I did, because I would have had to go over the $4m level (at least) to keep things going. I just happened to benefit from an early boom this time. That's why I've decided to call it quits on trying to outsmart myself. I think it will already play quite well over a range of seedings and random economy states. :)
Gumboots
CEO

Haven't had time to do much more testing on this, due to other stuff getting in the way, but am about ready for another crack at it.
Gumboots
CEO

I think I have this thing sorted now. It has been playing very nicely. Just enough of a nail biter to make me really think, without being so crippled that it's tedious. I'm really enjoying it. !*th_up*!

I dropped initial overall building density to 60% (was 70% in earlier versions) and changed the annual increase percentage so that it's a constant 3.8%. The new progression will end up with roughly the same total number of loads over 25 years (using building density progression as a proxy for cargo production) but doesn't go bonkers right from the start. Annual production in the early to mid game is significantly lower, then it catches up later.

I'm currently at the start of 1864, with mostly rail, a few carefully selected bits of industry, $1.9m company cash, and enough track to do some expansion. I'm currently cash-limited rather than track-limited, although it has been a bit of both at times. Connections for Musclebrook to Newcastle, Newcastle to Sydney, the usual Sydney Basin (Sydney - Campbelltown - Penrith - Windsor, etc) and the three towns up to Weatherboard are all done. Bonds have been stuck at $5.5m at 8.6% average interest (which is good) and the economy has been in recession for a couple of years (had a boom in late 1850's).

The new higher fuel ratings on the locos mean the annual fuel bill has been tracking company overhead pretty closely. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. With 45 locos running (mixture of 1 Class, 8 Class and 6N Class) the fuel bill and overhead for 1863 were both around $500k.

Will play it through to double check everything, then turn it loose once I'm sure it's good to go. :-D
RulerofRails
CEO

Sounds like a good balance tweak. :-D
Gumboots
CEO

Yes it's a definite improvement. It was too much of a no-brainer before. It was amusing, but not as interesting.

I played this time from the most evil-looking seed I could find. A more generous seed would still be easier, but then if the economy goes into recession (or even depression) early that would balance out an easier seed, so it's looking like a good all-rounder at the moment.

Connected to Bathurst in 1864, and am now at the start of 1865. Economy is up to Prosperity now and credit rating has increased to BB (without the 4 level drop for debt over $4m it would be AAA). Even at BB I can borrow more cash at 10%, and can max out bonds for an average rate of 9.3%. The company is easily strong enough to stand that rate, so it's not really cash-limited now if I feel like going hard on bonds.

Which has me thinking: for less proficient players this would be good. They will have a harder time getting to this point anyway, so I don't want to make it too much for them. OTOH it feels just a little bit too easy for me at this stage of the game, while balance of financing was pretty good earlier. So I may want to put in a prime rate tweak that scales up rapidly for high debt levels on Expert difficulty, while leaving it alone for low to moderate debt levels and also making it less severe for lower game difficulty levels. This might work for Expert:

Debt < $2m - Prime rate default (ie: 5% to 9%)
Debt > $2m & < $4m - Prime rate +1 (ie: 6% to 10%)
Debt > $4m & < $6m - Prime rate +3 (ie: 8% to 12%)
Debt > $6m - Prime rate +6 (ie: 11% to 15%)

Those could run from the same events that currently do credit rating adjustments. It would change my current position so that new bonds would be in the 13% to 15% range, which is getting to the point where you'd have to wonder if they were worth the bother when cash flow is pretty good anyway. You could still "bounce" your debt level well past $6m in the right circumstances, but once you were past $6m and an end-of-month reset had ticked over your current debt would effectively be the practical limit.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, threw in the prime rate thing. Since I was thinking of it, makes sense to try it. It feels like it will work well, now that I've played to this point. I used the scale above, but with a reversed reinstatement on the way down.

Going above $1.5m increases prime rate by 1%. Going above $3.5m increases prime rate by another 2%. Going above $5.5m increases prime rate by another 3%, so you end up in the 11%-15% range (depending on economy state). I've also changed it so that the credit rating penalty and prime rate reduction for exceeding $5.5m will only be applied once. This is mainly a safeguard against someone inadvertently hammering themselves into the ground (I'm being nice this week) and also simplifies the coding a bit.

On the way back down, dropping below $6m gets you a 1% decrease in prime rate. Dropping below $4m gets you another 2% decrease in prime rate. Dropping below $2m gets you another 3% decrease in prime rate if you had previously exceeded $5.5m, or a 1% decrease if you had not previously exceeded $5.5m. IOW, on the way back down you get back all your prime rate penalties, but you still don't get back all your credit rating penalties. Those are coded the same as before, so exceeding $5.5m will leave your credit rating permanently 3 levels down even if you pay down to less than $2m debt.

However, I threw in a chance at redemption for those of dismal credit. :D

While checking out some details on Google Earth I noticed a place called Montefiores, just across the river from Wellington. This turns out to have a story attached. A bloke named J.L. Montefiore used to have a large sheep station there, and he used to be on the boards of some of Australia's biggest banks at the time. So, the new deal is that once you have Wellington hooked up to Sydney and have hauled away two full train loads of his wool, old J.L. has a go at negotiating you a better credit rating. This is coded the same as the optional haulage missions: Random 1 to 100 >= 80 for a trigger, with 6 possible outcomes.

1/ You get a 2 level increase in credit rating.
2/ You get a 1 level increase in credit rating.
3/ You get a 2% reduction in prime rate.
4/ You get a 1% reduction in prime rate.
5/ You get a 1 level increase in credit rating, and a 1% reduction in prime rate.
6/ You get nothing, and your credit is still cactus. :P

While I was at it, I changed the optional missions so that each one is 2 years instead of 3 years. I think this will give a better mix, as well as making them a bit more challenging. They are now set to start triggering once you have 19 cities connected to Sydney (which is required for Bronze). I figured this makes more sense than just triggering by years elapsed. Give people a chance to get their railway set up pretty well, then hit them with haulage missions that have to be done faster. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Finished playing it through. Found some scripting bugs, and fixed them.

Generally it's good. I got a Gold, but it took me until late 1877 and I'm not sure I could have done it much faster. This was without any of the load/unload time or "fuel cost" or wool production benefits from the randomly-generated missions. Could obviously get a slightly quicker win if you hit all of those. I checked those to make sure they fired properly, but deliberately didn't meet all the targets as the playability shouldn't rely on optional extras.

I'll transfer the scripting fixes to a .gmp and then turn it loose. So far they have only been made to a .gms as I went, but transferring them will be a simple process. :)
Gumboots
CEO

[RC5] Blue Mountains revamp Unread post

OK, I think this one is well balanced, and with a bit of luck I will have found and fixed all the scripting bugs. !*th_up*!

Zipped .gmp is attached (New_South_Wales_RC5.zip).

Edit: Zip deleted. Final (hopefully) version attached to this post.

This is set to use default PopTop locos, but the map isn't designed for them. Default PopTop rocket-powered Connies, etc would make it too easy, as well as being out of context, but may be useful for less proficient players.

The other zip (NSWGR_Update.zip) is where I'm up to with updated stats for the NSWGR locos. These are what the map is designed for, and what I reset the .gmp to before starting play, but obviously people do not have to use them if they don't want to.

The PK4's for most of the NSWGR locos are over in the other thread. The zip attached below just contains updated stats for EngineTypes, as well as one PK4 for a 79 Class placeholder (a reskinned 23 Class).
There aren't any really nasty surprises in this map, but the two required tunnels (north of Wollongong and just south of Gosford) do need a bit of care to get them right. There are example screenshots attached to this post.

Lay the tunnel from the coast north of Wollongong from the Wollongong end, with tunnels set to "Common", and it will pull through to the hilltop easily with a 4% grade.

The other tunnel, just south of Gosford, is a bit trickier. Start from the Gosford side, and lay down a couple of isolated sections of track pointing straight at the cliff. The tunnel will pull through cleanly from those, with a 3% grade in the middle. You'll then need to lay a sharp 90 turn on the Gosford side, along the edge of the water, to connect up track to Newcastle.

It's easy once you've done it once, and it's a lot easier than building the real thing. (0!!0)
Gumboots
CEO

Re: [RC5] Blue Mountains revamp Unread post

Just doing more test runs. I think it's very close, but it does seem to have a tendency to want to boom early in the game. I have long had a suspicion that RT3 adjusts economy state to match how well a company is being run. IOW, I suspect the game is coded to reward good tycooning to some extent, and penalise inept tycooning to some extent. Margin calls seem to be more likely when you're in a position where they will really hit you hard (although this may merely be sheer terror making the experience stick in the memory) and this scenario always seems to want to go to booming asap if you get off to a good start with the seeding.

Anyway, point is that the current setup is pretty good for balance with fairly tight initial seeding, and you probably wouldn't want it tougher with a really nasty one, but it's still a bit too easy to rort if you get a more generous seed. What might be a good finishing touch is a monthly event to limit the economy for the first 5 years. At the beginning of the month "YESGS < 5 AND ES > 2 THEN ES = 2" would prevent it turning to prosperity or booming before 1860, but would still allow early recessions or depressions, which should keep it playable most of the time while adding a bit more spice.

Edit: Have just done a quick run through the first few years with the stabilised economy. Seems to work well. !*th_up*! Which gave me another idea. It's good for Expert level, but for the lower difficulty levels you could adjust it the other way:

Hard: "YESGS < 5 AND ES > 3 THEN ES = 3"
Normal: "YESGS < 5 AND ES < 1 THEN ES = 1"
Easy: "YESGS < 5 AND ES < 2 THEN ES = 2"

The other tweak that occurred to me for this test run is one I really should have thought of yonks ago. It's just not something I've ever used before, so I didn't think of it until now. What I've done is set graded track cost to +30%.

This seems to be working well too. It discourages early exploitation of the run up the mountains, or for that matter heading south to Wollongong, and encourages the more historical approach of developing the Sydney and Newcastle areas as much as possible first. They're almost flat, so track cost isn't affected significantly, which means it's all still balanced. The climb up the mountains is still affordable at a reasonable date. Later in the game, when you have no choice but to build lots of graded track, your company will be strong enough to afford that. This scenario ends up very lucrative, so spending more on track is a good way to use some of the extra cash.

This could also be adjusted for difficulty level:

Hard: graded track cost +20%
Normal: graded track cost +10%
Easy: graded track @ default price

These three are no-brainer events that only fire once at scenario start. Scripting them is simple and bulletproof. They won't mess with anything else, and they should make the scenario more tractable for beginners. !*th_up*!