American Civil War

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
EPH
Dispatcher

Re: American Civil War Unread post

I don't have the scenario in front of me - in fact I don't have RRT3 installed on my laptop - but I can answer that in a general way.

The event needs to know which company to 'test' against, since the destruction of track should only occur if a particular company - yours - owns track in what is now enemy territory. The event uses the same test to determine whose track to destroy. You would need to copy the human events and adapt them for each AI company, adding a test for 'if company exists'. You would also need to add events to modify a company variable to track whether an Ai company 'goes South' or stays with the Union.

American Civil War already has a large number of events. You can certainly try adding all these additional events, but I am thinking the game may bog down under the load.

I'll be home in three weeks and I can take a look at it then. Perhaps some kindhearted tycooner here could help you quicker?
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
UnknownTycoon

I keep failing because the barracks in my important towns where I have the munitions and weapons factories keep helping themselves to the shipments...
EPH
Dispatcher

I've found that a good strategy is to set up weapons and munitions plants in the middle of nowhere - like outside Cincinnati, for a Northern example - and put my steel industry in Pittsburgh or someplace like Cincinnati. Remember that the weapons and munitions plants can also run off of iron ore. For the South, a logical place to put a steel mill is near Birmingham, AL (north of Montgomery and south of Huntsville).

At your weapons and munitions plants, set up a weapons train (custom consist of all weapons cars, minimum 3) and an ammo train (same setup but for ammo). When it fills, drive it down the track a ways and halt it. That takes care of your needs for 1861 and you can set it up years in advance - just leave it parked. Then create two more trains, increasing the number of cars by one for each year. You should be able to have most or all of your weapons and ammo needs taken care of before the war even starts.

If you have any spare capacity you can ship some weapons and ammo to where they are needed, but first you should make certain you have loaded trains.

I hope this is helpful; let me know if I'm not being clear.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
low_grade
Dispatcher

Well, had to back up to 1960 and try again and watch more carefully, but gold on Expert in June 1865. I had early arrivals to Georgia and Mississippi that spoiled by 1st attempt, this time I stopped the trains before they arrived...

Weapons in Cleveland and Cookeville (fortunately only lost Missouri of the potentially Southern states I built in,) Ammo in Toledo and Chicago plus a natural supply in Huntington, then stockpile in Fort Wayne. There was still enough demand in St Louis to make the 2+2 goal without trying, and then there was enough nearby weapons and ammo floating around to direct trains each year to the following year's target, so the goals were easily met, so long as I was careful.

I took great advantage of the economic crash of 1857. Only in the 1850s did I pay any real attention to the stock market, so I could have maximized better with earlier margin buying into my own company as it was taking off in the 1840s. But I spent most of the 1850s gradually buying into all stocks, until I had sizable ownership everywhere. Then just before the crash I spent a few months selling off large chunks of my own stock, which many of the AI chairmen then bought into big, often putting themselves deep in margin, but they couldn't resist paying $60 for a stock with a $95/share CBV, even if it meant selling shares of their own stock to do so! The crash itself, then, was enough to bankrupt a couple, and then I sold off the shares I held in their companies and mine until all but one chairman got margin called, and he only retained about $200k net worth. In the process, the price of every stock fell to $12-$16, and I turned around with my stack of cash and bought majorities in most AI companies, and sizable chunks of the others. Gradually I began to buy out AI's, often with 100% ownership, and continued to buy into majority positions of the other AI's. The last few I sold shares immediately before merging to cut the price in half, and by the end of the game I was the only company left, and one AI player had $2M net worth, while the rest were basically broke, HA!

I started with a NY-DC network, plus Cincinnati-Dayton (which became the nucleus of my major network, I never developed the eastern seaboard further,) but I also dropped small stations in all the major cities I intended to have in my network. To my dismay, the AI companies connected to many of them before I did! Just a Lumber Mill and Paper Mill upstream of St Louis for industry to start, then as I started to look towards producing weapons and ammo, another Lumber Mill in Cleveland, with Weapons coming in 1852. This was a very generous map for express, so I built hotels everywhere, too, and ended up with $110M express revenue vs $85M freight and $78M industry. I used Cramptons throughout, and generally took the pulling power boost.

Overall impression, really not too hard if you're prepared and careful, but thoroughly engaging throughout. One of the better scenarios, though running on very fast the barrage of newspapers at the beginning of the year 1862-1865 often pushed me into February before I got out of the new-year's ledger... !!clap!!
Gumboots
CEO

Sounds kinda interesting, but Cramptons in the US? Just about every locomotive in the country was a 4-4-0 in that period, with a smattering of other types, but I'm fairly sure Cramptons were never used by any US company.

Just checked out the story that EPH wrote: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/hm/HM_Chapter_3.htm
Early in 1846 I was approached by a group of men, disaffected workers late of the shop of Matthias Baldwin of Philadelphia. A former clock-maker turned locomotive manufacturer, Baldwin had a reputation for solid workmanship and reasonable prices. His current offering was a fine machine with a rigid frame over six big drivers. The even distribution of weight of this type did not give the same high traction as the two drivers of the Norris but did offer a smoother ride and less wear on rails and machinery.
That's funny. The traction of the Baldwin would be three times as great as the Norris, for an equivalent axle loading, and 0-6-0's in general did not give a smooth ride. They became unstable at anything over about 25 mph. The longer rigid wheelbase also meant more wear on rails than a 4-2-0. The advantage was in hauling power at low speeds.

An entertaining story though.
zzc
Watchman

The story takes some liberty with many things...

Anyway I tried out this map and choose a pro south course - I like alternate history.

Did not build anywhere in the US territory, except what the AI built. Reloaded after the confiscation events - the game actually crashed. Took over rivals after the confiscation[this one is outright exploit since you get back access to the US territory], linked up and quickly pulled all the newly acquired trains[silly Ai train spam again] to wilmington and other weap ammo factory stations. About 4 were lost when they got left behind in the first couple states.

Lost the first war delivery mission - darn trains werent fast enough. Beat the rest. Got lucky with wilmington spawning an extra port. Sent out 2 trains to each barracks location in the required states.

===========

The confiscation events need an extra condition. Theres no need to run both events, it seems to hang up the game and probly crash it. Check which side the player supports then run the opposing one. So the Confederacy was saved and became a sovereign nation. The one failure of the railroad balanced by its success in other theaters, especially the crucial theater of Georgia. [Ironically the confeds gave up atlanta after feds cut the rail lines to the area.]

============

I'm neither US born, raised or resident. I'm just interested in the civil war. How could a nation that prided itself on freedom of expression and opinion endure a bloody split?

I see the Confeds unable to adapt to the reality of war. They had less resources and vainly hoped for foreign intervention, which the Feds warned off by threatening war with any intervening power. Wheat exports to the UK were worth more cotton which was easily replaced in increased cultivation in the colonies, and the Confeds stupidly embargoed cotton exports at the war's commencement.

Even with less resources, the Confeds only had to defend, and inflict heavy defeats on the Feds which had to conquer and occupy territory. R E Lee grumbled that many of his countrymen were blind to the reality of war. The Confeds neglected their roads and rail which impeded their movement.

Though many fine officers flocked to the Confeds[their horsemanship was also superior], the Feds slowly learned the arts of war and created their own leaders. The naval blockade which was initially scoffed at slowly became an iron ring. Lee's invasions of the North were probly desperate gambles to force the Feds away from stricken areas of the South, with many farms bare of food. !#2bits#!