New map: Peloponnes (beta 1)

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
arop
Dispatcher

New map: Peloponnes (beta 1) Unread post

My latest map, called Peloponnes (beta 1) is a map from the real world (with a few optional fantasy lines added). In its heyday the metre gauge Piraeus-Athens-Peloponnes Railways (S.P.A.P.) had a network of 722 Kilometres, and was among the largest narrow gauge railway systems in Europe. Any comments, advise or suggestions are, as allways, welcome :salute:
Attachments
Railway map Peloponnes.jpg
Gumboots
CEO

Re: New map: Peloponnes (beta 1) Unread post

Cool. How many loads of ouzo and mousaka do you have to ship to get gold?
Sugus
Engineer

Uuuuuupppsss - Silver only? ^**lylgh

That's really not what I expect when trying out a newly created map by arop. Hey, arop, you're slightly going to make better and better maps! (0!!0) Nevertheless, I can not see a sense in your usage of the AIs. Please, do not use them anymore (in this restricted way) - as you didn't in your earlier maps. Instead of it, concentrate on "tricky tunnelling situations" like in your "Bharelia" map. Also, I like the kind of boni in your maps. Maybe there should be an additional one (especially in this map): bonus for "all cities connected". What do you think about this? (I know - it's hard to be sure to have correctly counted all of them on maps like this one. :-D )
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

At the start of the game I have -1 track sections available. I see in the events (Setup Track, Human), if the player has less than 200 miles of track laid at the start of the scenario he should get 500 track pieces available, but then the next event (Track Quote, Human) is checked at the beginning of the year.
Does that mean I have to wait a year to get any track pieces available?
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, I tried this map but it crashed on me in Jan. 1886.
Probably another issue of me not having the same engines installed as you but I'm not going to install all of the engines available just to figure out which one I'm missing.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Hawk, here's what I found when Arop's West from Chicago scenario crashed on me:

I finally got around to tracking down my problem with crashes of some of Arop's scenarios. Turns out I didn't have the USRA 0-8-0 loco installed. Once I did that, things worked fine. I don't remember ever removing this one from the EngineTypes folder, so it must have been an "add-on" that I never added on.

Check to see whether you have the USRA 0-8-0 loco installed.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Installed the USRA 0-8-0 and no more crash. Thanks Wolvy.
Sure would have been helpful to know that from the beginning, but I guess I should have known that from the briefing.
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

:oops: I have made a minor blunder. The event "set up track human" trigger should be "years elapsed since game start"=0, effect 500 buildable sections of track, human player only. The standard gauge railway from Athens and to the north is owned and run by the state cannot build any track, and serves to offer some competitition buying up industries and your stock (in the real world it was the only standard gauge line visible on this map). In the 1940's The State gained control over the S.P.A.P.system, which finnally, some years later, became a part of the National Railways of Grece :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

arop wrote::oops: I have made a minor blunder. The event "set up track human" trigger should be "years elapsed since game start"=0, effect 500 buildable sections of track, human player only.
OK! I'll make that change and try again.

Also after the first year I found I was losing money on industry, which seemed odd since I hadn't bought any industry. Then I found that I have 3 post offices and a custom depot, which never make money, and you can't sell them.
I'm not so sure it's a good idea to force the player to be stuck with them. Normally I never build those two facilities.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just adding that condition didn't help. I also had to remove the Company Track Miles < 200 condition. Then I had 500 track pieces at the start of the game.
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

I have my second thoughts about allowing 500 sections of track in the first year of the game. I think, not to make the game too easy, it should be zero, while you start with a newly opened line from Elefsis to Megara (Piraeaus-Elefsis was opened in June 1884). At all, I have tried to bring as much realism to this map within the limits of this game as possibe.
While I think huge engines, such as the Big Boy or fast express engines would disturb the picture of a narrow gauge system like the S.P.A.P., the S.P.A.P. locomotive rooster is symbolized as follows: The two versions of the 42 2-6-0 tank engines = 2-6-0 mogul/2-8-0 consolidation, the 12 2-4-0 tanks for minor jobs = 4-4-0 Preussian class S3 (could have been the 0-6-0 Camelback) and the batch of modern 2-8-0's is symbolized by the 4-8-0 Mastodon. In 1947 (the game ends in 1940, before the war with Mussolini's Italy began and the later German occupation), a batch of relatively large USRA 2-8-2's arrived, followed by some Italian built 2-8-2's of the almost same class as war reparations. The transition to diesel happened as follows: In 1937 a batch of german built 2 car Diesel electric railcars arrived, symbolized by the Zephyr. In the early 1960´s US diesel locos and European built railcars arrived. Typical for Grece, also on the former S.P.A.P. system, you can still find dumped steam locomotives rusting away for decades, the Greeks simply doesn't seam to care about scrap iron :salute:
arop
Dispatcher

(0!!0) The 1.0 version of this map has now been submitted to Hawk, and is expected to be avaiable soon :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Hawk
low_grade
Dispatcher

How did he shape the terrain here is my only question. Otherwise a classic Arop, not too hard, connect the dots. All kinds of careful edges, how much time did he take, or is there some other way...?
RulerofRails
CEO

Maybe a problem with the height-map, low resolution, or perhaps too narrow palette?