Bermuda Triangle for 1.06!

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Bermuda Triangle for 1.06! Unread post

Cash on Wheels wrote:I never thought a house flatting category 4 Hurricane would be head toward North Florida! Naturally the gulf stream killed it off... Since 1851 only 2 hurricanes have had the eye make landfall near Jacksonville. 1898 & 1965.
A bit off topic, but why would you assume a Cat 4 couldn't head for north Florida, when you have two historical examples of hurricanes that you mention? It may not be common, but it's obviously possible. You've also had several near misses at Jacksonville, so it looks like luck of the draw rather than some ironclad law of nature.

The other thing to consider is that the latitude range for hurricanes (or cyclones, as we call them in the southern hemisphere) is expanding, so we can expect to see them a bit further north and south than we're used to.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Gumboots wrote:
Cash on Wheels wrote:I never thought a house flatting category 4 Hurricane would be head toward North Florida! Naturally the gulf stream killed it off... Since 1851 only 2 hurricanes have had the eye make landfall near Jacksonville. 1898 & 1965.
A bit off topic, but why would you assume a Cat 4 couldn't head for north Florida, when you have two historical examples of hurricanes that you mention? It may not be common, but it's obviously possible. You've also had several near misses at Jacksonville, so it looks like luck of the draw rather than some ironclad law of nature.

The other thing to consider is that the latitude range for hurricanes (or cyclones, as we call them in the southern hemisphere) is expanding, so we can expect to see them a bit further north and south than we're used to.
Yup every hurricane threats us is not very powerful, or if it is, it turns away. NE Florida, Georiga act like a highway-off ramp for hurricanes. They go the gulf of Mexico, or merge toward North Carolina. When hurricanes come toward us it slows down to make its late turn toward NC. Where this hurricane did most of the damage. Remember NASA did not build the space complex nearby Just to have it wipe off map by a hurricane. My dad prior to 2004 & last week has never had to evacuate for a hurricane.
Yes I have flood/storm insurance.

If your talking about the el nina/nino cycle yes. It changed this year. So every atlantic hurricane season for the next 11 years will have much more tropical activity.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This map is now available in the archives.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... daTriangle
Hawk
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

I chose a bad year to release this map! First a hurricane barrels down on me, now my news feed says Fedel Castro has passed at age 90. RIP. Also Not sure how President Trump will handle the cuba embargo!
low_grade
Dispatcher

Just played this, and it has a nice challenge to it. Got DM on Hard in 2053 on my first try with 4,631 load of paper hauled, ignoring paper the whole game.

Started with a Textile Mill and a Lumber Mill and bought surrounding sheep farms/lumber camps in GA. Expanded network to get 11 connections and reduced FL access, taking my time with rail and focusing on industry. To my surprise all access was reduced to $30k except Bahamas at $1M and Cuba only by takeover. Simple task of building the flat mainland network and only pausing when there was enough money for major expansion, no custom consists at all, except coal and produce/sugar. Ran electric all the way. Saved up almost $20M and issued stock and sold some of mine to buy into Castro's company and took it over with only $2M to spare a few months later and my wealth cut in half, but a nice touch for the scenario, tough trick to pull off, I'd say get rid of the easy option that comes later that I've read about in above posts. Built/bulldozed to generate coal demand from the ports, and caught 0.7 load of coal on PR before demand switched back to Haiti, and ran that load back and forth in PR at a loss half the time until I got the 5 loads for DM. Kinda cheesy ending, I cruised on Very Fast many years in a row just to watch coal slowly move across the water and then drift back away from Puerto Rico just as I'm about to legitimately win, and thank the powers that be that I caught 0.7 of a load from a large station that I stuck at the tip of the island closest to Haiti. Yes, I built 2 Steel Mills as close to the port as possible, and razed buildings indiscriminately in order to do so, and in many other cases as well.

In conclusion, this map has a few tricks up its sleeves, but in terms of traditional railroading it's rather heavy handed and not very subtle. Once I had good income, mostly from industries, I could be quite sloppy and finished well before the deadline. Enjoyable, but not quite challenging. Perhaps reduce generation rates of basic resources?

Not trying to sound critical at all, thank you for taking the time to create something for me to divert myself with, and this scenario was a bit different, which is hard to do, so good job, and keep up the hard work!

Oh, and this is low_grade, back again after a couple years, now with a modern gaming laptop, and holy cow what a difference! Towards the end of this scenario with 80 or so trains I could run on Very Fast and a year would go by in 2 minutes tops, while before with my rather cheap previous two laptops it might have taken 15 minutes or more. Wow!
Gumboots
CEO

Hey! Welcome back! And hope you had a merry Christmas. (0!!0)
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

low_grade wrote:Just played this.........

Kinda cheesy ending, I cruised on Very Fast many years in a row just to watch coal slowly move across the water and then drift back away from Puerto Rico just as I'm about to legitimately win, and thank the powers that be that I caught 0.7 of a load from a large station that I stuck at the tip of the island closest to Haiti. Yes, I built 2 Steel Mills as close to the port as possible, and razed buildings indiscriminately in order to do so, and in many other cases as well.
I though I had that problem buried for good. Guess not.

FYI we have adjusted the 1.06 to play more like 1.05. See the "CPU train spamming thread"
Cliff
Watchman

Yeah, I know this is an old thread. "Bermuda Triangle" looked interesting, so thought I would give it a try. No particular problems, playing at the expert level, except I couldn't connect the 71st city without building a suspension bridge. So in one iteration I built the suspension bridge to Kingstown (I think It was) and then let the game run on super-fast to the end of 2060. Much to my surprise I was awarded "only" Silver -- when I was expecting at least Gold. A few years back the game asked if I wanted to go for DM, and I said yes -- would I have been awarded early Gold if I had said no?

So, anyway, my totals were 71 cities connected, about 3,500 loads of paper, about 50 loads of coal floated to the right place on the eastern tip of Cuba, several of those loads having subsequently floated to Haiti, and at least some of them (I don't know how many, 'cause the ledger never said) made it to Puerto Rico.

So, I get Silver and I figured *!*!*! Yeah, there were supposed to be a penalty for building a suspension bridge. So, I loaded a save from a few years back, didn't build the suspension bridge, and now my totals were 70 cities, about 3,500 loads of paper, and the same as before on coal. Still got Silver.

BTW, I never did get the announcement that the Bermuda Triangle spook had finally been placated by all that paper, so guess my paper haulage totals weren't racked up right??
Cliff
Watchman

Cliff wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:40 pm ... A few years back the game asked if I wanted to go for DM, and I said yes -- would I have been awarded early Gold if I had said no? ...
Well, it was a fun scenario; fortunately I had a save from 1843 which I loaded & ran with. When the 2000th load of paper was delivered I got the DM question again: This time I said no, and was immediately awarded a Gold win. *!*!*!
Gumboots
CEO

Awesome. Finally, a scenario where us mortals can get Gold faster than RoR. ::!**!
RulerofRails
CEO

Very simple issue. Silver test using the same frequency/time condition (end of 2060) and located earlier in the list than the "Gold after 40 years" event.

The Coal haulage within Puerto Rico is intend to prove that you got Coal there. It's not really "haulage" more like a drop ship situation. Because it's 1.06 you can just use ship-at-a-loss. What I did was use an out-of-city station in Puerto Rico to catch Coal traveling on the water towards the port, then I could ship to the port. This is a solution that doesn't need custom consist/ship-at-a-loss. It's still a bit of a "game the system", but what can you do it's RT3 economics.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Good timing bringing this thread back. I have been working on porting Bermuda Triangle to Transport Fever. If your TF maps cover alot of area like Bermuda Triangle does, you will spend hours in GIMP!!!
I played BT map 15+ times during the beta stages and I was tired of it by the time I uploaded it to the archives. Moral of the story do not overplay your creation until it is done! but I still had lots of fun tho!
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Bermuda triangle is now updated!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It's now available in the archives.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... daTriangle
Hawk
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

This map is now available for Transport Fever! It the only map where you must use Planes and ships! :lol:

https://www.transportfever.net/filebase ... -Triangle/
RulerofRails
CEO

What does the task list look like? Did you manage to define a structured gameplay path?
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 pm What does the task list look like? Did you manage to define a structured gameplay path?
TPF is not dynamic enough for good scripts. It's just a sandbox game. Just go to the steam fourm. 90% of the threads are "my trains are stuck " "The factory is not loading my train!" or "laggy game!" The latter two come with experience but there are bugs that can cause these. While double tracking a section of rail on my Cold War Colorado w/Utah redo, I did not replaced one signal and after a year it caused a 40 train back up! And this was after the latest build, Where the game will most of the time alert you if you trains conflict. Previous builds of TPF did not have this feature, the trains would stare & growl at each other forever.

The only reason why I play it is because I have nice setup, and personalized mods of mods that makes game play more fluid & better looking.
Last edited by Cash on Wheels on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

"Sandbox game." I think you nailed it there.

Yeah, plenty of bugs and some of the gameplay I watched, made me think that it's more of "Hey it's actually working" experience than the strategy I enjoy.

If I see TPF for around $10 one day, I might pick it up anyway. If I do, I will be sure to try your map. :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I was at GoG the other day and saw TPF on sale for $19.99 (40% off), so I bought Train Fever for $2.99. ^**lylgh
I'm enjoying it, for what it is.
Hawk
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Hawk wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:04 pm I was at GoG the other day and saw TPF on sale for $19.99 (40% off), so I bought Train Fever for $2.99. ^**lylgh
I'm enjoying it, for what it is.
Gosh, that's what I call cannibalism! Unless you bought TpF afterwords. TpF has more features, mods, and control. Not to mention frame rate becomes and issue much later in the game.