Bayern (BETA)

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
oismachihi
Hobo

Bayern (BETA) Unread post

Here is a new map for beta testing. The historical background of this scenario ist the royal Bavaria state railroad which was built in the middle of 19th century. I'll appreciate your comments. Enjoy!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Bayern (BETA) Unread post

As a new member you will need to make at least one more post before you can attach anything to a post. This is an effort to keep spammers and malicious attachments away from the forum.
Hawk
oismachihi
Hobo

Ok. Thank you. So this should help...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yep! You should be able to post an attached zip file now.
Hawk
oismachihi
Hobo

so, here ist the post. Included ist a german an an english Version as well.

Admin Edit! File removed.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Both maps in the zip are German, even though one says Bayern_eng.
Hawk
oismachihi
Hobo

Oh sorry. I mixed up the files names. This hopefully is the correct zip.
Last edited by oismachihi on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The description on the map selection page is still in German. :mrgreen:
Bayem1.jpg
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It says you have 30 years to do lotsa stuff. :mrgreen:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Actually, it says (from Google Translate):
Open up within 30 years the Kingdom of Bavaria by train, you establish connections to other countries and boost the economy.
;-)

There's not a lot to do except connect either 20 or 26 cities (20 with 6 specified - I haven't played the map out yet) and attain a $10 mil industry profit.

I was just letting the creator know he forgot to translate that bit of text. (0!!0)
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I got Gold on this map in Jan. 1870. I could have got Gold earlier if the Gold event was set to check monthly, as is the way it's generally done. :mrgreen:
I did forget the part about connecting 30 cities. :oops:
If I hadn't forgot to connect 30 cities I could have got Gold in Jan. 1867, with the Gold event as is, or Sept. 1866 if the Gold event checked monthly.

There's some pretty rough terrain on this map. That made building rail a bit of a challenge in a few places.

Not a bad scenario all-in-all. (0!!0) Fairly easy.

Oh yea! The description on the map selection page (the bit of text still in German) says you have 30 years, but the Ledger, in game description and events are set for 20 years.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

I tested this one out. Overall, it's a good scenario. Here are my thoughts.

The start date is variable, but the event to give you access outside Bavaria is set to trigger in 1866. If you start the game earlier than 1850, you will never be able to fulfill the Silver or Gold conditions which require connecting to Zwickau which is the only city that cannot be reached from a Large station within Bavaria. If you start the game after 1866 you will never be awarded the access rights so will have no chance at Silver or Gold.

As Hawk said the terrain is extreme in spots. I agree. My recommendation would be to smooth a few places to make the placement of track through some required routes and building stations in some cities a little easier. Also, having Lake Constance on a slope and some of the rivers flowing uphill could really use some attention.

Personally, I don't know if the $10M Industry Profit requirement is enough of a challenge to separate Gold from Silver. Do you find it hard to get industry profits? When I played I started with a Textile Mill and expanded with some industry in a change from my regular style, but when I switched into rails in the 3rd and 4th years, I built no new industries (except Hotels) and only occasionally bought a newly spawned industry that was in a good spot. So not putting much effort into it at all. The result was $49M at the end of the game. I had no company debt, 100% company ownership, no personal debt, and $24M of cash with 40 cities connected at the earliest opportunity to get the medal (start of 1867) since I received new territory access in 1866 and the Gold medal only fires at beginning of the year (Hawk already mentioned this). I started at the default 1850 year.

Why not add some effects to the historical newspapers or make some new events that affect gameplay? For example building costs could go up during the war etc.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well first off Oismachihi,
Let me congratulate you of becoming not only a member of this great Forum, but also a user creator of scenarios. You may make a number of mistakes in your creations, but there is a marvelous number of members who are talented in map and scenario creations, as will give you some good suggestions to improve your creations.

That said, I noticed in the year end ledger of the 5th year, that it showed that Salsburg and Wuzburg were already connected. Then I thought that maybe I had missed seeing the same remarks previous, as I do miss a lot of things myself. Hence I restarted the scenario, only to find the same comment after the 1st year of play.

Now I a player who does not like "steep" terrain, and although I find some fairly steep terrain in areas, it is a challenge, as the majority of the terrain is modestly constructed.

I am looking forward to the completion of any up-grades, and also that of any future creations. !*th_up*!

:salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ray - I think you're just misreading the ledger. Look at it again. Note the colon after the words Connected.
Bayern.jpg
Read it as:

"Is Salzburg and Wurzburg connected? No. It is Unconnected."

"Is Ulm and Passau connected? No. It is Unconnected."

"Is Lindau and Zwickau connected? No. It is Unconnected."

I thought the same thing at first look. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Yes Hawk and Oismachihi,
I stand corrected and apologize. The next year or two of play, when I went to see if a connected city would be credited and then "to my surprise" I saw how the ledger was made for the other cities. Again, as usual I missed how the ledger was stated. Live and learn, and that is never an ending situation. *!*!*!
:salute: {,0,}
RulerofRails
CEO

Oismachihi, in regards to the above comments, you could make the status report clearer in English with:

Salzburg and Wurzburg are [Company Variable 1~~Connected/Unconnected].

Or:
Are Salzburg and Wurzburg connected? [Company Variable 1~~Yes/No].
oismachihi
Hobo

Hi Folks,

thank you for playing the scanario and posting your comments. !$th_u$!

On the occasion of having unexpected time, I made a new version. Taking your comments in consideration it is changed in the following Points:

- Corrected and smoother terrain, especially around the cities.

- Much more challengng scenario

- Corrected text

Die to the complete revision, I had to translate the scenario over again. I hope that I didn't overllok anything.

Best

oismachihi
Last edited by oismachihi on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

I gave it a test-play. Plays better now. Grades were easier around towns and I was reminded that the farther-than-average distance between most cities gives some genuine choices for routing options. !*th_up*!

One thing, if the player starts the game after 1866 he still wont ever get access to the bordering states. I would suggest adding a condition "Game Year < 1867" to the event (Start2) that forbids the rights in the first place.
RayofSunshine
CEO

A bit of a problem. I have connected to 40 cities, including Lindau, Salsburg, and Passau. My industry profit is $14M. SO, when do I get access to the other territories in order to complete the requirement to connect with Zwikau? **!!!** *!*!*! :salute: {,0,}
RulerofRails
CEO

RayofSunshine wrote:when do I get access to the other territories in order to complete the requirement to connect with Zwikau?
Beginning of August 1866. There's still a loophole that if you start the game in 1867 or later you will never receive access.