Africa & Middle East v1.06

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Africa & Middle East v1.06 Unread post

The famous Africa & Middle East now has been updated for 1.06! and it got a facelift in the process!

I've finished a lot! Town reduction for this map, Industry reseeded, Reserve cells, Terrain has been smoothed were applicable, building density & growth has been put in check. You can start anytime from 1829 to 2050.

Remember this is community map, not mine. I want all your feedback.

Notes:

Due to the effects of saving in the editor I have reworked this map with only ~3 saves. However I will not make any changes until further feedback is left.

Some towns have no industry, this was done to simulate African villages. If you connect one early the town may grow to 5 stars later on. RRT3 logic at its finest. ^**lylgh

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**this map has a ton of cities that are too close to rivers & bodies of water. To combat this use this trick.

(1)First build track segment as close as you can to the bank of the river you want to cross.
bridgesetup.jpg
(2)Then place the station as close to the bank of the river. as seen above
Bridgedone.jpg
(3)Now from the opposite side of the river start a new track section and connect it to your stations track.

This may look silly but it gets the job done. !*th_up*!

BETA moved to post #7
Last edited by Cash on Wheels on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Africa & Middle East v1.06 Unread post

First look comments:
Why have 9 "cities" way out in the middle of the south Atlantic? Since it isn't possible to connect to these, and there are only 197 cities on land, surely the goal of 200 cities connected is impossible?

You said a lose will trigger in 1979, I can see that. I can also see that it's virtually impossible (without foreknowledge) to get Silver or Gold, because the first end of year that CBV is greater than $200M the Bronze will fire. It would actually be a bit of a challenge to have this setup, needing to run multiple companies and park money here or there and then merge all companies within one year to get to $500M.

Currently, the AI players don't have any territory access. Are they going to be kept in the final? How will their access rights work?

Malta seems to require a Small Station. There is not enough room to build a medium one even if you bulldoze all houses etc.. This is the first map I know of that is incompatible with the mod I made to give the AI large stations. By setting a few more cells to land, a Medium is possible without spoiling the looks, but a bulldoze may obviously still be required.

Why are you worried about making more saves? That only matters when doing the painting. Once painting is finished, keep that copy and then use it as the source to revert any later degradation using the hex editor. It's not hard, less than a minute, copy and paste stuff. All you need is to find the start of that section. Use the search to find
the FF D9 sequence followed by a couple of “00”s . . . . This should occur very near the end of the file.
Quoted from this: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=27944#p27944.

Great job on the reserve cells! That must have been a chore. I only noticed two places on the whole map with a second ghost pattern: Athens and Luanda. Those are pretty common on some maps. Perhaps, you could keep the small cities small if you used more reserved cells?

I'm thinking to try a test play starting at the latest date: 2020. Looks like plenty of Oil on the map in this period. I noticed Dairies and Oil Wells start out cheap. These could probably be fixed (might need a little tinkering) with some phantom demands if you wanted to.
RulerofRails
CEO

AficaME 2020 start.jpg
AficaME 2020 Asyut.jpg
AficaME 2020 Khartoum.jpg
Finished the play (no AI, only using one company). Starting as late as possible. 2020. Oil is a major factor on the map. I deliberated a lot on getting a good start, but eventually I went with a Plastic Factory in Benghazi (Tool & Die seeded, bought it second year, Oil wells first), in the country of "Tripoli." Probably that should be Libya*? Really industrial. Within the first 5 years, had two upgraded Plastics Factories and 5 upgraded Tool & Dies pumping out Goods. Good thing that the ocean was there to give demand, but this sort of supply is good to see some healthy demand in you network too. Used Diesels early.

I was thinking that northern Africa was good for expansion because of the cheapish access costs and the lack or rivers. I was a bit conflicted on strategy in the mid-early to mid-game. I bought into North and South Nigeria, to take advantage of some more Oil and to get Machinery production underway. Started an unconnected network for this (only time). Then it was Algeria, and Morocco. But then I was in a bit of a quandry. I wanted to get into "Outside Africa" or more specifically the Middle East and its endless supplies of Oil. I tried saving up a few times, only to decide, that it made more sense to go to Egypt, then Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, then French West Africa (profitable $1M+ Nuclear Power Plant) first. Got first Auto production going in that time too. Finally got into the Middle East after 19 years, and unleashed it's potential. After that it was a pretty quick expansion game, steadily expanding south and trying to optimize resource usage with industry buys/builds. Built electric track for the next 8 years and then did the final push on the less profitable with normal track.

As far as ideas for the scenario, there's lots of access rights needed. Maybe, some system that is a pure modifier of access rights cost. Perhaps, based on company efficiency LTD. So, CBV/LTD company profits/years elapsed. Increase the cost of access rights in a scale based on that.

Might need tuning, but the general idea I had:
If at the end of the year, if CBV/LTD company profits/years elapsed is <3%, have access cost increase by +1%
... 3-5%: increase of +2%
5-10%: increase of +3%
10+%: increase of +4%

Should slow the better players more. My figure at the end of the game was 3.8%. Earlier in the game it would have been higher. With this system in place my figure would also be higher: more CBV lost to access rights cost.

*Side-note, the names are definitely from the colonial period, in 2020, they don't make much sense. The borders also. I can see that the author ran into the problem of not having enough territories for this map. For example, the 3 west african countries identified as "Outside Africa." Since the main strategic value of the borders here is defined by their entry cost, I would consider combining "Northern and Southern Rhodesia," the way that Liberia was already done, just adding the entry costs together. Same could be done for "Eritrea and Somaliland." This would give two more territories to play with. Because of the territory limit, it will always be a bit of a fudge, that's fine. There are therefore many ways to "fix", but I'm looking at the two part countries: Uganda, Bechuana-Land and those three west coast countries classified as "Outside Africa."

In case it's helpful, here's a link to an illustration of just-prior-to-WWI boundaries vs. those in 1880. The fact that Germanies' colonies are present would indicate that it is pre-WWI. Link: http://brilliantmaps.com/africa-1914/
There are also some "stray" territory pieces:
Small piece west of Opuvo
Some cells of "Outside Africa" along the Uganda-Congo State border, just east of Mambasa
One cell of "Mozambique" to the NorthEast of the "Sahara Desert" label

Spelling
Tangier, Morrocco is mispelled. Missing the "i".

Tricky terrain for stations
Mists'iwa: hard to place a station covering all houses.
Malta: Had to bulldoze houses, even for a Small Station placement.

Notes:
Windmill and Customs House are buyable. Don't see a reason?
In a couple places the terrain/river interaction needs a little love. Kayombo-Lubumbashi area stood out in particular.
Just a comment about your tutorial on placing the station near the rivers. It's a compromise with ideal coverage, but I would recommend putting the station further from the river even if you want to bridge straight across. For two reasons: (1.) trains wont be accelerating from a standstill up the grade, (2.) economic cells with rivers on them have a higher price, depending on how this is managed, but most likely result is that more traffic goes on the river and less profits for your railway.
Parakou station.jpg
Here's a picture of my Parakou station. I connected before I had rights in French West Africa. It's not on the same economic cell as the river.

In my shots above you can see that full coverage of Khartoum is impossible with one station, so I used two. Asyut, meanwhile is separated by a "lake" this means that demand doesn't get from one side to the next, so built two stations, western one for the main reason to supply the Recycling Plant that was a source of Steel for my Auto production occurring at Port Sudan.

When you mention laying track from the other side of the river, I believe the only time that you need to do that is if the opposite bank is higher. But it works anyway when unconnected track is allowed, so a valid tactic on this one.

Water (need for a bridge) is defined by the little squares (16 of which make up an economic cell). When the grid is on, even if unconnected track is prohibited, you can always find the water cells by hovering your cursor over them. Look for the notice "Invalid Position Over Water." This can lead to some skirts of coastlines that I previously thought were impossible. See this track to get into Sicily on the PopTop Italy map: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44513#p44513.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:13 pm Water (need for a bridge) is defined by the little squares (16 of which make up an economic cell). When the grid is on, even if unconnected track is prohibited, you can always find the water cells by hovering your cursor over them. Look for the notice "Invalid Position Over Water." This can lead to some skirts of coastlines that I previously thought were impossible. See this track to get into Sicily on the PopTop Italy map: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44513#p44513.
Its trouble if u don't know that. But you can also use the territory panel to light up land & water cells. I wonder how many people rage quit my Bermuda Triangle map after the hurricane wiped out the keys. Most people likely just finish building that stretch of track!
RulerofRails wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:13 pmAs far as ideas for the scenario, there's lots of access rights needed. Maybe, some system that is a pure modifier of access rights cost. Perhaps, based on company efficiency LTD. So, CBV/LTD company profits/years elapsed. Increase the cost of access rights in a scale based on that.

Might need tuning, but the general idea I had:
If at the end of the year, if CBV/LTD company profits/years elapsed is <3%, have access cost increase by +1%
... 3-5%: increase of +2%
5-10%: increase of +3%
10+%: increase of +4%

Should slow the better players more. My figure at the end of the game was 3.8%. Earlier in the game it would have been higher. With this system in place my figure would also be higher: more CBV lost to access rights cost.
Map is too big for the complicated math I was good at 8 years ago. Besides I'm sure the amateur players will love $70M territory access bill!
RulerofRails
CEO

Cash on Wheels wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 pmMap is too big for the complicated math I was good at 8 years ago. Besides I'm sure the amateur players will love $70M territory access bill!
If you don't like the idea, that's fine, but in case these are legitimate concerns: all that would be needed are half a dozen or so events that check yearly. So, maybe a couple seconds longer before the ledger shows up at year end, in the worst case scenario. Performance issues in my experience stem from list overflow, my observation leads me to suspect thousands of industry "books." I never remember some events that slowed a game down. If you have, which map?

For the sake of the amateur players, just use the system on Expert difficulty level. I can detail the setup if it helps. My idea was to give some strategy on the access rights, something that will add interest especially for advanced players. :-)
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Per Hawk's request here is the second & final beta.

Removed 1/28/18
Last edited by Cash on Wheels on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Wow, RoR, you finished a play?!? I'm 39 years in with 130 cities connected and $300M CBV, so not far out, but every year is a labor of finding ways to get to the remaining towns, finding industry to pump, etc, with over $30M+ in profits in a Normal economy right now. Started at the earliest date, big gripe that for a long stretch of the game I'm only using the Stirling, with a few Ten Wheelers on very long hauls (industry resource shuffling, mainly.) Given that Europe does come into play, and just to add spice, it would be nice to see a sprinkling of events offering more diverse locos, at least for the early game, haven't looked later. Duke has W availability already and would have mostly replaced the Stirling in my play, though not everywhere, certainly not for 0 grade routes with mainly pax. I can see the Vittorio Emmanuel doing great freight service in the mountains (perhaps with a boost to grade climbing to make it stand above the Duke a bit better... and I don't have the maths handy on loco weight, is the Vittorio lighter than the Connie?)

Another gripe is that I have to wait for 1895 no matter what to connect 180 cities. And I don't enjoy the "suspension" of disbelief required to build giant bridges to Madagascar and Europe. Not sure what to do about this, as it's essentially the nature of all 1024x1024 maps to drag on in the later years. As a sandboxy experience, the map plays wells. As a strategic experience, well... Perhaps get rid of the city connection requirement and just leave it at CBV. Or replace city connection with LTD loads hauled, to ensure a player doesn't focus too much on industry, and must build and run for many years an extensive rail network.
RulerofRails
CEO

Preface, I haven't had time to look closely at the latest version. Yes, this scenario takes some time to complete. I did think that it's interesting at the start to strategize which territory to buy first and how to expand from there. After a point though you have developed your plan and are left with no new decisions, just wait and implement. This becomes a little tedious which is why I suggested keeping the ball rolling with access rights that increase with time. Maybe wouldn't help that much, but would give some interest for one of the main tasks.

I agree that waiting till 1895 for bridges is a fun-killer. There should be warning of this in the description: connections require suspension bridges (1895). You don't actually need to bridge over to Madagascar (have a look at my route map). To get a city to count as "connected" it only needs to be linked to one other city.
low_grade wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 amI can see the Vittorio Emmanuel doing great freight service in the mountains (perhaps with a boost to grade climbing to make it stand above the Duke a bit better... and I don't have the maths handy on loco weight, is the Vittorio lighter than the Connie?)
It's not possible to boost grade climbing for a specific loco. :-( Actually Vittorio has a pulling power of 8 versus 5 for the Duke (Vittorio has lower free weight which dampens this). With 8 freight cars Vittorio has max speed of 21mph up 4% grade, Duke is 14mph.

Connie (70 tons) is lighter than the Vittorio (99 tons). The effects on performance including hill climbing are not hidden by the game (remember the bug that the readout for 4 cars will show performance with 8 cars), but fuel costs are. With the same fuel rating (level 6) and a default load of freight (8 cars @ 10 tons) we get a ratio of (70+80)/(99+80) = 0.75. So fuel cost is 25% higher for the Vittorio.The only positive for the Vittorio is higher acceleration (speed is higher but free weight is down so max speed with 8 freight cars on flat is identical). Negatives are lower pax appeal and reliability. Connie is better, almost 100% of the time.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Ah, right, I generally play as if unconnected track is disallowed. Can a Madagascar network be profitable on its own? But given that, at least drop the connection requirement to not include anything requiring a suspension bridge (Azores?) And yeah, I never use the Vittorio, but I'm irrationally opposed to lower acceleration locos. I know they choof along just fine, especially if you set them to priority and let the trains with better accel stop instead. But I generally ignore the Connie in the age of Dukes. Well, I'm glad Cash on Wheels made this playable, so nevermind the gripes, really. I might still finish, I need to figure out how to get into Iran and Turkey, so I've got a bit more of the map to explore. But definitely more of a sandbox than a scenario.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 pmConnie (70 tons) is lighter than the Vittorio (99 tons). The effects on performance including hill climbing are not hidden by the game (remember the bug that the readout for 4 cars will show performance with 8 cars), but fuel costs are. With the same fuel rating (level 6) and a default load of freight (8 cars @ 10 tons) we get a ratio of (70+80)/(99+80) = 0.75. So fuel cost is 25% higher for the Vittorio.
You 're a bit out with your fractions. ;-) 180/150 = 1.2, so fuel cost for the Vittorio would be 20% higher if hauling default B era freight. Worse with express, since in that case it'd be (99+56)/(70+56) = 155/126 = 1.23, but not much worse.
Gumboots
CEO

low_grade wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:50 pm...I'm irrationally opposed to lower acceleration locos. I know they choof along just fine, especially if you set them to priority and let the trains with better accel stop instead.
Depends on the application, but the Class P8 is a good example. It has the same Poor acceleration as the Connie, and the same top speed with default stats, but the low running cost and good reliability make it a very useful loco well into the 20th century.
But I generally ignore the Connie in the age of Dukes.
With default stats and cargo cars, a Connie is often a better bet than a Duke. For one thing, it's faster on long runs.
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pmYou 're a bit out with your fractions.
Thanks.

Not to get caught in the details:
Last time I checked the P8 top speed is 62mph, and this is 1.06 so Connie top speed is 45mph.

My main attraction to the default P8 has always been it's cheap fuel cost which makes it the perfect loco for low value freight (which is different from real life since it could only hit top speed with 300 tons on the flat according to wiki). I will point out that the longitudinal "stretch" on the Latvia map will favor this loco especially on runs like Riga - Liepaja, since that means fuel costs are higher and acceleration matters less.

Lowgrade, No, Madagascar didn't pay. I connected them because I had to. I don't remember if I even ran any trains on that track.

I also used to be worried about acceleration (but running cost and reliability came first) especially when watching the buildup of traffic on early maps. But, I have come to realize that a significant portion of that traffic is thanks to the station turnaround being year dependent (starts out slow in 1830 then gets faster). Report here: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4123

As an illustration, here's the speed curve showing distance traveled after x time. This compares Average vs. Poor assuming 60mph max speed for both. Max speed is reached at x=69 for Average and x=90 for Poor.
Poor vs Average Acceleration.jpg
As a rough measure there's never more than about 25% advantage in distance traveled. A comparison of the levels is here: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=40717#p40717. The big steps are on the higher end: U. Fast, V. Instant, Instant. That's the info, the strategy is in how to use it. There are many possibilities. :-D
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I just started playing this one too, and my biggest "gripe" is that the AIs can't do anything but sit there and lose money because they don't have territory access. If this could be fixed it would add a lot to gameplay by opening up the possibility of takeovers to gain territory access. It's been a very long time since I made a map so I'm pretty rusty with Event coding to accomplish this.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Wolverine@MSU wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:11 am I just started playing this one too, and my biggest "gripe" is that the AIs can't do anything but sit there and lose money because they don't have territory access. If this could be fixed it would add a lot to gameplay by opening up the possibility of takeovers to gain territory access. It's been a very long time since I made a map so I'm pretty rusty with Event coding to accomplish this.
|--0 duh, I need to code in the AI for territory access!
low_grade wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:50 pm Can a Madagascar network be profitable on its own? ............. But definitely more of a sandbox than a scenario.
You aren't burned out from my Madagascar map?!?

Like RoR, I just laid burn track and maybe 2 or 3 trains.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Boy, that's a lot of tread reading, although important.
I downloaded it, and started to play, but then I looked at the challenges. The 175 cities for the Gold in 45 years???? That is equivilant to 4+ per year. WOW. I don't believe there is an adequate amount of "bonds" to keep an adequate amount of revenue to operate. Engines, trck, territory purchase. Seems a little steep for a Gold. Any comments? :salute: {,0,}
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RayofSunshine wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 pm Boy, that's a lot of tread reading, although important.
I downloaded it, and started to play, but then I looked at the challenges. The 175 cities for the Gold in 45 years???? That is equivilant to 4+ per year. WOW. I don't believe there is an adequate amount of "bonds" to keep an adequate amount of revenue to operate. Engines, trck, territory purchase. Seems a little steep for a Gold. Any comments? :salute: {,0,}
If your going for gold you'd better hit the ground running and don't look back! :mrgreen:
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well, I don't claim to be a "real hot Tycoon", but still appears to be an "extravagent" challenge for Gold. SO, has any one actually gotten the GOLD? :salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

Use cheats. ;-)
RulerofRails
CEO

RayofSunshine wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pmSO, has any one actually gotten the GOLD?
I did, if that means anything. According to one of the previous posts, low_grade was on course before losing interest. It's a little repetitive to open up country after country just to connect the cities. Especially those that are of little commercial use.

I only played the map on Expert. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of difficulty.

Just a thought.
Things like profits, track cost, etc. scale with difficulty level. A big part of this map is territory access costs. These do not scale with difficulty level. The map is definitely still easier on the lesser levels, but I can see that it may not feel as easy as some others.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm
RayofSunshine wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pmSO, has any one actually gotten the GOLD?
I did, if that means anything.
I think Ray meant "any mortal humans". :mrgreen: