Irish Free State - Aliza's Edit

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Awesome_Aliza
Cat

Irish Free State - Aliza's Edit Unread post

Hello all! I am posting here to send over an edit and addition I made onto Grant (BigMac) Macdonald's "Irish Free State" map which is currently in the archives. I added a few towns to the map such as Letterkenny, Killarney, Kilkenny, Downpatrick, Skibereen, and more! The idea with this edit was to leave BigMac's scenario intact and mostly the same while adding a little more flavor to the mix and fixing some of the industry randomly spawning in the countryside. I think I got most of the major towns, any more the map might get a little crowded, with the exception of the unused areas around the Dongeal and Kerry coasts. Feel free to try it and give me some feedback! :-D

I also plan on using this base map to make a new scenario, one based around the older history of Irish Rail rather than it just being from 1922 onward. The plan is for it to start in 1834, when the Dublin and Kingston line first opened, ending at either 1919 with the Independence War or all the way until the modern day with the option to support either side in the ensuing war. I would have to restructure most of the map in terms of regions and events and whatnot to do it but if there is interest I am more than willing to dig in!

In any case, I hope y'all are having a good day! !$th_u$!
Attachments
Irish Free State - AlizaEdit.zip
(334.3 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Irish Free State - Aliza's Edit Unread post

Sounds like a plan. Really long scenarios can be difficult to manage in terms of economy. RT3 is pretty much set up for normal scenario duration, so if you wanted to make one that spanned a century I think you'd have to take special measures to keep things ticking over. It might be best to split it into several episodes.
RulerofRails
CEO

I'm not familiar with the original. I loaded it up. To me this isn't really a scenario because it's just connections. You can take one bond and make the connections and just sit and wait for a win at year end. If you play in a different way you are just choosing how long your game should last.

The other thing is that there is no painting on the map. Maybe I'm a little spoiled, but that could improve it a lot. I know there is none on the original either.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the original. It seems a low density map, which is good. But also care needs to be taken with that because industries are more attractive than normal (rail Return on Investment isn't that great). Unless you intend the player to dominate the island for an empire builder sort of style. Maybe a primary net worth target for the player to become "King" of Ireland. Maybe some of the other players (your competition) can be from rich Brewery or Weaving families? So they would own a lot of the Breweries/Textile and associated farms on the map.

I didn't try many starts, but the seeding looks ok as far as I can tell.

The Startup event is not doing anything. It's set to trigger when the human starts a company, maybe it should be set to trigger "At start of scenario."

In regards to a new scenario, the problem is mainly that building is the fun part for most players. Sitting and managing over a long period isn't really the reason they are playing. Especially with a map of this size, I also wouldn't recommend to make a long scenario. Part of me likes novel scenarios that are different from the norm, but really a lot fewer players will enjoy them + they are a lot more risky to get right.

PS. Don't they grow a lot of Potatoes in Ireland? With a couple little hacks you could repurpose Coffee into Potatoes. (It would require placing a file or two into the game folder in order to best enjoy the scenario). And that could also be important for the scenario.

ETA: There is something wrong with the map. Maybe it has been saved with a special character in the name? I cannot put a rough bmp2gmp paintjob on it. :-(
Gumboots
CEO

Special characters only affect that save, IIRC. If it is saved without one, it should be paintable even if it was previously saved with one.
RulerofRails
CEO

Well, I'm not sure why then, but the map is bugged somehow.

In case you have time to confirm it....

I made a rough/dirty satellite image effort, here's the bmp:
Irish32.zip
(928.71 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

This is what it looks when I apply it to this:
This edit.jpg

Whereas when applying to "Irish Free State" from the archives:
Irish Free State application.jpg

Maybe it's a random bug, or perhaps it's something about Aliza's install. Sharing details on that may help understand the problem a bit more.
Gumboots
CEO

Weird. But then, it's RT3. Hey ho.