A Colonial Railway

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
arop
Dispatcher

A Colonial Railway Unread post

This map is now in the "Other Lands" section of the archives: A Colonial Railway
!!howdy!! This is my latest map, called "A Colonial Railway", beta 1 version. It is a fictive story about a tropical colony with rich abundance of lumber, Ore and Bauxite. Game start 1910, game end 1965. Geography: It's a montanious country with almost no infrastructure. Your task is to build a railway from the coast to the hinterland through the mountains. 3 types of ports are buyable:

Port type A:
Demand: 10 loads of ingots/5 loads of ore.
Supply: 2 loads of goods/2 loads of steel/1 load of automobiles.

Port type B:
Demand: 10 loads of lumber/5 loads of paper.
Supply 2 loads of electronics/2 loads of machinery/1 loads of medicine.

Port type C:
Demand 10 loads of aluminium/5 loads of bauxite.
Supply: 2 loads of oil/2 loads of diesel/1 load of medicine.

To demand crystals from (limestone) quarries, 1 type of warehouse is buyable:
Crystal processing plant:
Demand/supply: 1 load of crystals/1 load of chemicals (phosphate to be shipped to fertilizer plants).

BIG ENGINES:
In many of my maps I have seldom found any use of Big engines such as the Challenger or the Big Boy Class. In this scenario huge articulated engines will be useful due to long hauls and mountanious terrain (I wish Beyer-Garrath engines were avaiable in RRT, they will be represented by huge North American Mallets).

Besides the map attached to this topic you will find some screenshots, showing how I have built the trunk line with maximum grades of 3%.
As usual, any comments, advice and suggestions are wellcome :salute:
Last edited by arop on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Re: New map for testing: "A Colonial Railway" RRT3 v1.06 (beta 1 version) Unread post

A railroad requiring the use of Mallets? You can count me in!
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: New map for testing: "A Colonial Railway" RRT3 v1.06 (beta 1 version) Unread post

I found this scenario to be an interesting concept, with imagination in the challenges. Actually, I just missed the Silver, being on the short side for both the LIP and PNW.
The 53 cities were connected in 15 years, although the notice says "52", but had started connections to start the hauls for "lumber" prior. From the amount of both the "bauxite and ore" mines, I did not believe that either of them an adequate supply for the 1000 hauls. Which rang true, as I was only able to haul 300 of each by the deadline.
Usually I don't use some of the creators loops and tunnels, but I thought I would make the attempt, and found them to be an interesting addition to the creation and operation. Besides, it was a necessity to keep the grades of 3%.

A very interestng scenarion creation, and know that others will enjoy it. :salute: {,0,}
Rimini
Cat

I installed all the necessary patches but still keep on having crashes after a few minutes playing this map. Or when i save the map. Any1 knows how to fix it?

I installed all patches and c2c in the right order, i use Windows XP (so no fix patch is necessary, right?)

Hope u guys can help me. This sounds like a very nice map! O and other maps which require the 1.06 patch works fine.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You're most likely missing some custom locos. Arop has a lot of custom locos installed on his system and uses them in his maps, but only he can tell you which locos are needed for this map.
Hawk
Rimini
Cat

Hopefully he will share them with me. Like to be able to play the map some time ;-)
arop
Dispatcher

:-( By an error I have deleeted the loco list I have send previously in another topic about the same problem, but I cannot remember where or when. I hope Hawk or someone have an idea how to find it. :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This might be the post you're talking about, and the post after it.

viewtopic.php?p=31182#p31182
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

A Colonial Railway Unread post

Intended to play this arop map once more. But what a surprise: For some inexplicable reason, I can't save this map.
Every attempt to save it - even from within the editor - forces RT3 to crash. And this is the case using the German as well as the (newly installed) English version - both patch 1.06.
I have no idea about this behaviour, and as far as I know any other map wokrs ok. !hairpull!
There's no business like RT business ...
Gumboots
CEO

Re: A Colonial Railway Unread post

I have never tried this map, but will take a look and see if I can spot anything. :)
RulerofRails
CEO

I downloaded the map from the archives. It's saving fine for me. (Side-note: Didn't see the German version in the archive.) The map file does contain "( )" characters. We know the game is fussy about "odd" characters. But as I said: works fine for me even with those characters.

Note about the map: Looks like the buildable ports are completely exploitable. They will make more money than they cost to build: $825k upgraded can earn $1.2M+ per year.
Sugus
Engineer

Additionally installing any extra stuff - engine types, buildings etc. - didn't help at all.

As a last attempt I have tried to play the map
A Colonial Railway 17'556'740 12/15/2012
using the following Installations:

Windows 10 Home, 64 Bit - German version of RT3, patched to 1.06 (my default)
Windows 10 Home, 64 Bit - English version of RT3, patched to 1.06
Windows 7 Home, 64 Bit - on an older computer, German version of RT3. patched to 1.06
Windows XP SP3 (32 Bit) - in a corresponding VMware image, German version of RT3, patched to 1.06

Got the same result everywhere, i.e. the freshly copied map can be loaded and played. But as soon as I make an attempt to save it, e.g. with the name aaaa, the program crashes. After that, in SavedGame (or in Maps, if saved from the editor) two files are stored:
aaaa.gms with size 0
aaaa_A.tga with a size greater than 0 (depending on how long I've played)

Hmmm - for now, I've had enough ... (0!!0)
RulerofRails
CEO

Ok. I didn't use a "default" 1.06 install. Turns out that the last event is for the USRA 0-8-0, which is not part of the "default" pack. Wolverine references this loco at the end of the original thread for this map. Other people had the problem also. In a default install we see "Unknown locomotive" referenced in the last event. This causes a crash when trying to save the map.

The simple solution is to download and install the USRA 0-8-0.

@Gumboots, Maybe a note can be added on the map page that this map requires the USRA 0-8-0 to be installed?

PS. Why did it work for me even though I didn't have the USRA 0-8-0 installed? The index for locomotives in events is reliant on naming and then length. If you have enough extra locos installed, the map will probably "work" however the wrong loco will be referenced in the final event. In my case the "Thatcher Perkins."
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:19 pm@Gumboots, Maybe a note can be added on the map page that this map requires the USRA 0-8-0 to be installed?
Good idea. I'll sort it. (0!!0)
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, a note about the USRA 0-8-0 has been added to the archives page. I also merged the original thread into this one.
Sugus
Engineer

RoR thank you very much! USRA 0-8-0 seems to be the solution. !!howdy!!