Railway of Fame!

Maps that were never completed by creators that appear to no longer be active.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Railway of Fame! Unread post

I have recently finished the seeding of the "Southwest" map in the base maps - and i'm making a full scale map with it! the story of the land is below -

note: don't think it's going to be easy because of all the goods - it's going to be one of the hardest maps you will ever do!

"Welcome to the west!

In the land of opportunity, hunger is brewing. Not hunger for wealth, not hunger to eat, hunger to own a railroad! Here in the west, the sheer amount of people is growing. Transportation is still found lacking, even known that the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railways connected east and west. What is needed is a true businessman. Namely, you!

After hearing of your great railroads, that were built in 10 years, and went across the nation, could deliver 1000 tons of coal in a day, and other stupendous feats, we ask you to help our cities get the transport they need to grow! The people of cities from Denver to Sacramento, all the way from El Paso Texas have come to give you cash to start a glorious railroad! Your railroad will have 2 million in starting cash, and you have a “better than most” credit rating to start with! good luck with bringing peace and transportation to the west!"

First off - i'm going to use greece 1857's type of point system - you need 100 to win Gold, 90 to win Silver, and 80 to win Bronze, along with normal goals. you will have (a minimum of) four opponents - including the Union Pacific!

at this point, I will post the work that I have done with this map - including three of the opponents(the union pacific is the only one missing), the seeding of the gigantic map, and my overall hard work of 2 weeks. note: the finer details i wish to have opinions on - note that the people do not want you to buy/build industries - if you do so within the first 30 years of the game, you lose. it's a 60 year map - double the size of a reccomended map, so be warned if you have slow computers and you are playing this map - you will have about 200-300 trains by the end if you play it like me - I overdo everything. :D
Last edited by gismoskip on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Railway of Fame! Unread post

Isn't this the same map as in the thread you started here?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3273

Why start another thread on the same map? Why not just continue in the existing thread.

You really should state that your map(s) are for 1.06.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:Isn't this the same map as in the thread you started here?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3273

Why start another thread on the same map? Why not just continue in the existing thread.

You really should state that your map(s) are for 1.06.
no, it has some updates, and i don't want anyone who wants to see my topic to go though all those fourms - this way, it's simpler. also, good point on 1.06 patch. i better put that in.

edit: it also was not as much going to be a full fleged map before, it was just an idea on the table. now it's going to be my first map made mainly from scrach.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You don't have to start a new topic every time you want to make a post noticeable. That's what the New Post icons do. They let people know that there is a new post in that topic.

This is the same map with the exception of adding a status event, and possibly some other changes. You can't start a new topic every time you update this map.

I'll delete the other topic since you want this one here.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:You don't have to start a new topic every time you want to make a post noticeable. That's what the New Post icons do. They let people know that there is a new post in that topic.

This is the same map with the exception of adding a status event, and possibly some other changes. You can't start a new topic every time you update this map.

that's my point - i want it up here, NOT there anymore. lol.

anyway, i'm going to make some MAJIOR changes today, including adding in the UP railroad in the map, (CP is not in it, because Sacramento is the city you will start in, or San Fransico)
some ideas for the "minigoals" which if you do not make you will have to pay 10 million and not get the point(s) . . . . .
1; you must connect San Fransisco and Sacramento within 1 year of start; (1870) 1 Ps
2; you must connect your railroad to Los Angeles within 2 more years; (1871) 5 Ps
3; you must connect Reading in the north to your railroad within 1 year; (1872) 2 Ps
4; you must connect your railroad to San Diego and Reno within 1 year; (1873) 3 Ps
5: you must connect your railroad to Phoenix within 3 years; (1874) 4 Ps
6; you must connect Mexico (any city) within 1 year; (1875) 2 Ps
7; you must connect to Salt Lake City within 3 years; (1876) 10 Ps
8; you must connect to Denver within 5 years; (1877) 20 Ps
9; you must buy out all your opponents within 10 years; (1878) 3 Ps
10; you must connect all cities by 1890 (1880) 10 Ps
Ps = Point(s)
60 Points Total(so far, and if you get all of them)
just some ideas . . . . in the past day or so i've been thinking about even making some custom locos(and logos) for it if i can figure out how the editing stuff works . . . . .
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Also, if you click on the link that says View Unread Posts, it will list the topics that have unread posts in them since your last visit. Then clicking on the topic title will take you to the newest unread post in that topic.

Knowing how to use the forum will help you and others find the new posts about a map you're working on without having several different threads on the same map, every time you update it.

There is no reason to have more than one thread going on about the same map. It just clogs up the forum and makes things confusing for those that are following your work.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

gismoskip wrote: that's my point - i want it up here, NOT there anymore. lol.
You got it. The other thread is gone, as will be this one if you start a new one on this same map, and I really don't want to have to keep deleting threads just because you made some changes to a map.
It's a bit irritating to me.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:
You got it. The other thread is gone, as will be this one if you start a new one on this same map, and I really don't want to have to keep deleting threads just because you made some changes to a map.
It's a bit irritating to me.
lol, this is the FIRST TIME this has happened if i remember correctly.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yes, and let it be the last time.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:Yes, and let it be the last time.
It most likely will. ;-)
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:Also, if you click on the link that says View Unread Posts, it will list the topics that have unread posts in them since your last visit. Then clicking on the topic title will take you to the newest unread post in that topic.

Knowing how to use the forum will help you and others find the new posts about a map you're working on without having several different threads on the same map, every time you update it.

There is no reason to have more than one thread going on about the same map. It just clogs up the forum and makes things confusing for those that are following your work.
alright, thanks for the talk. ;-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

gismoskip wrote:
Hawk wrote:Yes, and let it be the last time.
It most likely will. ;-)
Cool! :salute:
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

gismoskip wrote:
Hawk wrote:Also, if you click on the link that says View Unread Posts, it will list the topics that have unread posts in them since your last visit. Then clicking on the topic title will take you to the newest unread post in that topic.

alright, thanks for the talk. ;-)
Just trying to help you to learn how the forum works to your benefit. ;-)
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I'll give it a try when you post a map that isn't going to change every day or so. Work on it yourself until you think it's ready for release (or nearly so). Give it a few days while you come up with your new ideas..........incorporate your new ideas..............let it sit a few days...........add your newer ideas..........play it a few times..........make your changes..........and only when you have something that is your best effort at a final release, put it up for beta testing. When you do, don't make changes...........let folks play it and get several reviews. If you feel they are appropriate, incorporate the suggestions, including your own that have accumulated over the ensuing time and then make a FINAL version for uploading to the Map Archive.
I don't mean to stifle your creativity, so don't take these comments negatively. I wish there were more map makers with your enthusiasm; I admit I have been somewhat remiss in producing new maps, but life sometimes takes priority over fun. Oh to be 13 again !!jabber!! (sigh!)
Blackhawk
CEO

gismoskip wrote:
Hawk wrote:You don't have to start a new topic every time you want to make a post noticeable. That's what the New Post icons do. They let people know that there is a new post in that topic.

that's my point - i want it up here, NOT there anymore. lol.

anyway, i'm going to make some MAJIOR changes today, including adding in the UP railroad in the map, (CP is not in it, because Sacramento is the city you will start in, or San Fransico)
some ideas for the "minigoals" which if you do not make you will have to pay 10 million and not get the point(s) . . . . .
1; you must connect San Fransisco and Sacramento within 1 year of start; (1870) 1 Ps
2; you must connect your railroad to Los Angeles within 2 more years; (1871) 5 Ps
3; you must connect Reading in the north to your railroad within 1 year; (1872) 2 Ps
4; you must connect your railroad to San Diego and Reno within 1 year; (1873) 3 Ps
Ps = Point(s)
just some ideas . . . . in the past day or so i've been thinking about even making some custom locos(and logos) for it if i can figure out how the editing stuff works . . . . .
Having not played your map I can't really specifically comment, but if I remember correctly the Greece map didn't penalize you if you miss a goal. There may already be enough incentive to get the goals done that you wouldn't need a 10 million dollar fine (which seems pretty high). The 10 million would likely ruin a player, unless of course they had 10 million just sitting in the bank. In which case then if I've got that much spare cash, it could be easy to establish connections anywhere and with that much free money, the game could be a little boring as I'd be more focusing on time running out rather than making more money since I've already got a large reserve of money. Again, these comments are said having not played the map, just merely basing it off a possible 10million fine.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Blackhawk wrote:

Ps = Point(s)
Having not played your map I can't really specifically comment, but if I remember correctly the Greece map didn't penalize you if you miss a goal. There may already be enough incentive to get the goals done that you wouldn't need a 10 million dollar fine (which seems pretty high). The 10 million would likely ruin a player, unless of course they had 10 million just sitting in the bank. In which case then if I've got that much spare cash, it could be easy to establish connections anywhere and with that much free money, the game could be a little boring as I'd be more focusing on time running out rather than making more money since I've already got a large reserve of money. Again, these comments are said having not played the map, just merely basing it off a possible 10million fine.
naa, you'll be making 10 million a YEAR within 5-10 years of the begining, on easy. lol. just so you know, these goals have not been added in yet - it might take a week or so. (2-4 hours a day, with 1-2 hours of other time for fun (0!!0) )

note; i might not make the 10 million dollar fine for not doing it - maybe you will just have a 1-3 million dollar fine - but all that is just ideas. at this point the map just has the seeding and 3-6 opponents. there will be 4-7 opponents in the final version. also, it's a 1870-1930 map. the hardest goals are going to be the hauling goals - 1,000 autos, 5,000 steel, that kind of stuff - lol. (trick to getting industries - make another company with 51+% ownership (if you have that much in your company) and then go between companies, (paused) and with your other company, buy and build industries all you want with that one - so that you can get industries where you want them and your train company won't have to deal with the penalties of buying industries - you can't win gold if you build them.
Gumboots
CEO

What's the point of doing that? Why not just allow people to build industry if they want to? You already have the connection and haulage requirements, so it's not like they can ignore building a railroad. They have to do that anyway. If you want to make it stricter, set the connection goals to be game killers if they aren't met. You either connect or get sacked. That way it doesn't matter what people do to make money for the railroad as long as it gets built on time.

And a lot of people have no interest in playing on Easy setting. IMHO, it's pointless making a game that is only winnable if you play it on Easy. It should still be winnable on Expert setting, with the Easy option making it easier for beginners.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote:What's the point of doing that? Why not just allow people to build industry if they want to? You already have the connection and haulage requirements, so it's not like they can ignore building a railroad. They have to do that anyway. If you want to make it stricter, set the connection goals to be game killers if they aren't met. You either connect or get sacked. That way it doesn't matter what people do to make money for the railroad as long as it gets built on time.

And a lot of people have no interest in playing on Easy setting. IMHO, it's pointless making a game that is only winnable if you play it on Easy. It should still be winnable on Expert setting, with the Easy option making it easier for beginners.
that's what i'm doing - but even easy is a challenge for the map . . . . oh, and it will be winable in expert, just very . . . very . . . HARD
gismoskip
Brakeman

gismoskip wrote:
Gumboots wrote:What's the point of doing that? Why not just allow people to build industry if they want to? You already have the connection and haulage requirements, so it's not like they can ignore building a railroad. They have to do that anyway. If you want to make it stricter, set the connection goals to be game killers if they aren't met. You either connect or get sacked. That way it doesn't matter what people do to make money for the railroad as long as it gets built on time.

that's what i'm doing - but even easy is a challenge for the map . . . . oh, and it will be winable in expert, just very . . . very . . . HARD
i just want to add to this post . . .

i might get rid of the idea for no industries - but i made a industry that would make you millions a year - in reading, there is a VERY high chance that steel mills will pop up there - like, 50%. so that was my main reason . . but it's all in the books now. sry that i haven't been on for a while - had something more inportant to do during the weekend. working on it tonight if i can :-D
gismoskip
Brakeman

Railway of Fame! Alpha almost finished! Unread post

just wanted to let everyone know that Alpha is almost finished. just so you know what my plan is:
Alpha: goals set, gold, silver, and bronze events set up, and other needed aspects.
Beta: extra events added - map tweaked to make the setup interesting.
1.0: every good event added in - including historical events, and other "realistic aspects".
1.1,1.2 and so on: added tweaks in game preformance, dificulty, and other options in the game.

known bugs:
on the western side, sometimes there is almost no farms. restart map unless you want a impossible play of the game. (it is probably caused by lag, or a laggy computer, aka, mine)