Map: British Isles Revisited (for 1.05)

Maps that were never completed by creators that appear to no longer be active.
Gumboots
CEO

Map: British Isles Revisited (for 1.05) Unread post

If anyone can think of a better name for it I'm open to suggestions. :mrgreen:

This is a revamping of the default 1.05 RRT3 "British Isles" scenario, as mentioned in another topic. It uses basically the same map and seeding as the original, but with changes to game goals and to a few small details. The detail changes are as follows:

1/ In the original, Belfast would build a port on a small lake. This was rather silly, so I moved Belfast a fraction east. It will now build its ports on the coast like other cities. This doesn't affect gameplay at all. It's just a fix for a minor visual bug.

2/ It bugged me that Newcastle-upon-Tyne wasn't upon a Tyne. What, no Tyne? Meh. So, I added the Tyne in. This only affects gameplay in that a bridge is now required where it wasn't required before. Not a big deal.

3/ While I was at Newcastle, I figured that since it was a major coal exporting port it should have a port that demands coal. This depends on the seeding so wont appear all the time, but adds a little to the economy when it is there.

4/ I also threw in seeding for a possible port in France. If that appears, it will produce the latest clothes from Paris, and some cognac, and that horribly Continental coffee stuff (not that any self-respecting Englishman would drink it). Again, this is only a minor addition to the British economy and doesn't have much effect on gameplay. It's mostly just there for fun. :-)

5/ I removed the "Penny Post" event because it came last in a quick succession of three newspapers, which was a bit annoying. It didn't actually have any effects assigned to it, so I thought it was better to not have it at all.

6/ The "Compound Steam" event has been renamed and had its effects changed. Having your fleet magically converted to compound in 1845 was just ridiculous, and the 25% top speed increase with no other benefits bore no relation to reality at all. The "Engineering Quality" event is now a more realistic representation of improved quality control, with a range of modest but useful benefits (ie: reliability, pulling power, etc). Initial cost is now $500,000 instead of $1,000,000, but there is also a 20% increase in locomotive costs if the upgrade option is accepted.

7/ I added an event to make the Crampton available in 1847, which is when they actually did become available. Well, there were a couple being tested in 1846, but I thought it better to have another year's gap between the Beuth and the Crampton. Most Crampton's were built in 1847 and later anyway. The Crampton still retails for its original price, without the 20% price rise that affects other locomotives. It does still get the other upgrade benefits though, assuming you take the "Engineering Quality" option at the start of 1845, so it's a nice addition to the later stages of the scenario.

8/ The AI players have been removed. In this scenario, they never did anything apart from buy a few of your shares and sit on them. Rather pointless, so I just ditched them.

Ok, that's the small stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The big changes were in the game goals and the timeline.

9/ There are no Silver or Bronze events in this scenario. It's Gold or nothing. In my view, if you want an easier medal, use an easier difficulty setting at the start of the game.

10/ The original scenario ran from January 1829 to the end of 1855. IMO, this was too long. It's not a particularly large or complex map, and unlike some others (Texas Tea, for example) it tends to run out of things to do before the end of the standard timeframe. This made the last few years of the default scenario rather flat and uninteresting.

1851 was the year of the Great Exhibition, which seemed like a good target for showing off the lovely new national railway system. The Planet locomotive that you have to start with wasn't really produced until 1830 anyway, and the first public steam railway in the UK didn't actually open for business until 1830. So, the "Revisited" version runs from January 1830 to the end of 1851. This gives a much tighter game, and you aren't scratching around for things to do at the end of it.

11/ The game goals are a lot more interesting than the original, but are achievable for experienced players. You might need a bit of luck though. In one test game, I got stuck with an economy that was in recession for a decade. Despite having a good start, the random economic cycle of the code borked my chances of a gold in that game. In other games, no problem. I have won this scenario on Expert setting, without doing any silly tricks like bait and switch loads.

The >= 16mph lifetime average speed requirement for all cargo (express and freight) relies on using the later locomotives intelligently to offset the accumulated slow average of the earlier locomotives.

The 8,000 loads hauled requirement means that using the early locomotives is necessary. Don't be scared of using Planets and Adlers to start getting your loads up, and even of using Adlers in conjunction with Fireflies later on. Adlers are cheap and effective, and you can still make the average speed goal (just). Fireflies tend to be ruinously expensive to run en masse, at least if you want a reliable service (I throw them away when they hit 3 years of age).

The $200,000,000 company revenue and $40,000,000 personal net worth goals require a good balance between building a strong company and milking it for your own personal profit.

The positive personal cash balance requirement means you can't rely on using your purchasing power on margin to save you at the end of the game. You need to get yourself in a strong position early on, and then consolidate. IOW, you can margin yourself all you like as long as you can clear your account before the end of 1851.

The requirement to connect all 44 cities and run a train to all of them could probably be sidestepped to some degree. I haven't bothered to try and build in all sorts of traps to make people do what I think they should be doing. If you want to lay burn track to some towns and just put a train there once, empty, just so it ticks that station off as visited, you can do that. Take it from me though, it's not the most profitable way to play this map. You'll do better if you run a real service on well-laid track.

You can win this scenario on Expert just by running a good solid company, with a sound industry base and a rational and profitable rail service to all towns. Try it and see how you like it. (0!!0)
Attachments
British Isles Revisited.zip
(595.09 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
gismoskip
Brakeman

Re: Map: British Isles Revisited (for 1.05) Unread post

sounds like a great map! i'll try it if i can.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
Gumboots
CEO

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on it?
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well I started the play of the scenario, only to find that it would be very difficult to attain the goals in a 20 year time duration. And I do like this era of engines. A player just has to run multiply engines over the same routing to attain any type of revenue. And goals. I just don't remember what my result in the original.

I have double tracked the majority of the system, in order to both get the best results for the speed factor, of which 16mph average is somewhat difficult with these early engines, unless a player only carries 1 load. Maybe 2. But then there is the 8,000 load haul to consider. It is possible, from past equal scenario play, by operating 2 engines between each 2 depots, it might be possible to haul maybe 500. Well, maybe a better Tycoon could attain such goals, but I usually play fairly conservative, so may not make the best "manager".

With that said, I am looking forward to other player's comments.
:salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

You wont get anywhere near a 16mph average with the earliest engines. Don't worry about it. Once you have Fireflies, Cramptons and Beuths your average speed will start climbing (especially once you get Cramptons). TBH, getting the 16mph average by the end of the game is probably one of the easiest goals. It might look scary early on, but that's deceptive (and part of the fun, IMHO). It's meant to be a bit of a nail biter.

Attached is a screenshot from one of the test games. You can see the sort of consists I'm running* and the mix of locomotives. This is January 1846, at which point the average speed had reached 14mph. Early on, it's usually around 11.

*Basically, 6 car mixed auto consist for most of them. Less in steep terrain.
Attachments
early_1846.jpg
Last edited by Gumboots on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well here is the result of my "tycoon" play. Not too impressive in a 20 year duration.
3,052 loads of a 8,000 goal. Was only hauling 3 consists with the early engines, to get "some" type of speed.
Started switching engines when the Firefly became available, hauling 5 consists to help increase the load goal. Also bought into the $500 to "update", so as to get an increase in the Firefly speed. That increased the speed from 54 to 61mph, and increased the average, after years of 10-11 to that of only 12mph.

CBV? $40.8M toward a goal of $200M. Considering that I was double tracking to help attain some speed with the earlier engines, I bought no industry, which starts out at $1.1M right at the beginning, and only a couple of farms. I did add both Post Offices and Taverns, to get some benefit toward revenue, as it did increase passengers/mail.

PNW? Stocks "went to hell" into Depressions, and barely got out of debt for Cash at the end, as the period went into the Depression the last few years of play. Ended with $4.3M toward $40M. I did increase the dividend a few times, against that of having adequate revenue for laying tracks.

The Firefly showed up in the early 30s. I converted a coupld of them year, but did not get the Compton until 1937. This did help to increase the mph 13, but was then operating them with only 3 consists. That did not help the haul revenue to do anything. Especially already being in a Depression. Again.

With the revenues attained, I did manage to connect with 20 of the 44 cities.

ONe of the surprises was that of not having any "crashes" until the early 30s, and then only a few until 1952.

I enjoy playing these early engine scenarios. And the map's terrain levels were within easy haul. But being a conservative player, and playing in the Expert, the level might be too high for my attempts. I will have to check back in my Archives to find the Original, to see what the difference between the goals.

And I am sure that I will play this scenario again for its interests. :salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

The goals are way harder than the original. I have this tendency with the original scenarios. I'll play through them and win them, then start wondering how far I can push the results.

Anyway, if you want some hints:

1/ Don't ever put maintenance sheds or water towers on an active line. Always put them on spurs, so locos only go to them when they aren't hauling any load. This will help your average speed.

2/ Don't worry about speed (apart from the above) early on. Adlers can barely reach 16 mph at terminal velocity from 30,000 feet. Just load them up and don't worry.

3/ Fireflies are horribly unreliable, even with the upgrade boost. Don't use a lot of them, and replace them when they are three years old. Replacing them every three years costs a fair bit, which is why I don't use many, but pays for itself on high-earning runs (like London>Birmingham direct and London>Kingston direct). The cost of replacing them is better than the cost of delays due to breakdowns.

4/ Speaking of which, any loco of this era is not that great for reliability. I tend to run them hard and replace them fairly early. Since they're fairly cheap, keeping them for a long time doesn't pay off, IMO. 5 or 6 years is a pretty good guess for most of them. This gives me reliability and good haulage.

5/ Buy industry. Lots of it. This is the Industrial Revolution and industry pays. I don't even run any trains for the first few years. I start by looking for the best industry opportunities, which usually means sizing up raw resources and taking advantage of them. I start running trains once I need to move my industry product, or bring in more supplies for it. Getting a solid industry base early on is the key to making piles of cash.
RayofSunshine
CEO

I stand corrected on the following: >>>>the Firefly showedup in the early 40s, not 30s.<<<<<<<<
The Firefly showed up in the early 30s.

And>>>>>>>>>>I did then retire the Adlers, and then the Firefly, when the Compton became available around mid 40s, and not in 1937.

I converted a coupld of them year, but did not get the Compton until 1937. This did help to increase the mph 13, but was then operating them with only 3 consists. That did not help the haul revenue to do anything. Especially already being in a Depression. Again.

With the revenues attained, I did manage to connect with 20 of the 44 cities.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>And then about the "crashes". None until about the early 40s, and not the 30s.

ONe of the surprises was that of not having any "crashes" until the early 30s, and then only a few until 1952.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I didn't pay close attention to my notes, as, I was also playing another "old timer" and got some of the facts and dates mixed. Hence the differences for correction. *!*!*!

Thanks for the suggestions and hints as a strategy, and will give them a thought in my next attempt. :salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

I dragged this thing out for a bit of a look. It's got some good bits but I'm not entirely happy with it. The problem is that it's too dependent on a few particular sorts of seed. If you get one of those, it's winnable (although still a mission). If you don't get the right sort of seed, you're screwed.

I might have to think of some way of tweaking it so that it's winnable with a wider range of starts, without making it too easy.

If anyone does play this one sometimes and wants to know the easiest way to win it:

1/ Start the company with the maximum amount of cash (100k of yours and 1 million from other investors).

2/ Next, look for iron mines in Scotland. Fairly often the game will seed with two or three iron mines in a bunch somewhere between Glasgow and Aberdeen, with a few stray ones scattered around the rest of Scotland. This is a bulletproof start.

3/ What you do is take out one bond and issue one lot of stock. This gets you just over $1600 k, which means you can build a tool and die. Do that, and put it right on top of that pile of iron. For the first few years the iron will be almost free, so your tool and die will put a rocket up your profit margin. Expect to clear around $400 k in the first year.

4/ In the second year, take out another bond and upgrade your tool and die asap. You should clear around $700 k in the second year. This will get things running nicely, so you can then build and scheme like crazy to get everything else you'll need for Gold.

5/ For the haulage goal, you should aim to be hauling around 500 loads/year in 1842, and 800+ from 1845 onwards. In other words, you'll probably get around 90% of your haulage in the last ten years.

6/ You'll probably still need that extra 10% from the earlier years , and in those years you only have really slow trains. The average speed will only edge towards 16mph in the last few years of the game.

7/ To give the speed a boost, use lots of Cramptons as soon as you can, even for freight, as long as they are running in flat country. It doesn't matter what the train is hauling or how much it's earning. If the track is flat, use a Crampton.

8/ For terrain that isn't flat, use Beuths once they're available. They're better up grades than Fireflies, and cheaper and more reliable. Cramptons are hopeless on grades.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Gumboots,
I took your suggestions and although did not get the Gold, I had a lot more enjoyable time playing than in previous attempts. And I was able to complete the scenarion without any problems as I only use the 1.06 Patch. And unlike my usual testing in the Expert level, this attempt was only in the Medium.

First off, it took about 6 attempts to finally get some nicely positioned "oil fields". Actually 4. The other attempts could only create 2-3, and I was not able to attain both a Tool&Die industry and still have an adequate amount of revenue to connect 2 towns. As it was, I had to go into the 3rd year to then issue the 3rd bond.

I managed to get the loads, cities connected and served with $99 cash for PNW. However, a little better than 1/2 the requirement for the Revenue and PNW Total Overall. I did had 65 engine operation, only using a sand/water until I switched over to the Firefly, at which time I added the maintainence. All full consists but waited too long to convert them to the Compton, and only attained a 15 mph speed.

I did have a few industries to help with the revenue, but not an adequate amount to off set periodically changing the 'dividend'. The system "economy" operated in the Normal a good portion of the time, but did have a few Recessions and also a Depression. I don't know if a couple more industries would have helped obtain the "revenue", but could have gotten more aggressive with the farm supplies.

However, all in all, it is an interesting scenario and am sure that members will find it enjoyable. :salute: {,0,}