Mediterranean Corridor

Maps that were never completed by creators that appear to no longer be active.
Joan
Cat

Mediterranean Corridor Unread post

Hi, I created this scenario and I decided to upload it here, so you can play it. You started in 2013 and the main target is to build a Mediterranean Corridor, where most of Spanish seaports and industrial cities are sited. Another targets are to do also an Atlantic Corridor (for silver) and to connect Lisbon with Madrid (gold). I hope you enjoy. Post here your suggestions, because this is my first scenario and there are maybe some mistakes.

PS: sorry for my bad English :-(
Attachments
Mediterranean Corridor.zip
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Mediterranean Corridor Unread post

This is a 1.06 map. Since maps created in 1.06 will not play in V-1.05, it's a good idea to let folks know it is a 1.06 map, for those that have more than one install of RT3, as discussed in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Hawk
Joan
Cat

Any comment?
obertran
Watchman

Hi Joan, I want to have a look to it but now I'm quite busy I'll do it next month if anybody hasn't done it before.
OilCan
Engineer

I downloaded it and will give it a 'test run'.
OilCan
Engineer

I enjoyed this map and the game. Very good for a first map!

I started at Cartagena and slowly built from there. All electric track & trains. I finished the Medit corridor by 2020 and ended my test run at that point. I was slowly making money, but it was very irregular, very difficult. I was about $5M in debt, more than I really wanted to be. On an earlier try, a recession set in soon after the start of the game and my company sank into deep debt before I quit and restarted the game.

In this game, the player must make money from their railroad since they cannot build industry. The player is limited mostly to buying farms since the interest rates are so high well into the game (the interest rates were still about 9% at 7 years into the game). For this reason, you may want to consider some thing to 'help' the player since profits from a small railroad are very up and down. You may want to make the track cheaper, bridges cheaper and/or building track on mountains cheaper (this would be my choice). This will help the player expand their railroad a little quicker and not pay so much in track maintenance. You could also make the trains slightly cheaper.

The terrain is very hilly and mountainous which makes it difficult to keep train grades less than 6%, almost impossible in some places. You may want to consider using the plateau tool and smoothing some of the big cities. I noticed that the terrain was very hilly right along the coast - exactly where the player needs to lay track. You may want to select some areas and smooth the coast back a little to allow the player to lay track somewhat easier - just a few key places, not everywhere along the coasts.

I am interested in what your thoughts were regarding the AI players. They have enormous amounts of wealth. I liked the way they kept busy with the stock market. There is no way a player can take over one of their companies - they already own too much of the stock. The AI companies slowly kept sinking in stock value for the whole game.

I never could get the AI trains to run on my tracks. That would have been nice, but they chose not to.

Territory costs. Wow. So expensive! There is no way a player can afford the $50M to buy the rights to build across the ADIF railroad. This stops the player from building track across the interior of Spain. I would be interested to know why you wanted those rights to be so expensive. May I suggest that the rights to Catalonia be dropped 100% instead of 50%. I did not like having to borrow $2M to gain the rights when it was the Catalonians who wanted me to connect to the railroad: they should have dropped all costs for rights to encourage me to connect.

Some of the territory boundaries have 'squares' or pieces of other territories. You may want to clean these up. Also, look along the coast lines for out of place territory pieces.

When the Medit corridor was connected, the newspaper said that it would 'enhance' the economy, but there was not an event to do this. You may want to consider two things: give the player a financial reward of say $1M for connecting the corridors and then increase cargo production by 10% and prices by 10% (this would take 2 events).

I looked at your events list. You should list the Gold, Silver and Bronze events in that order. Set the gold to trigger at the end of the month and if the game year is 2040 or sooner. Set the Silver and Bronze events to trigger at the start of a new year and if the game year is 2041.
I noticed that you have events which assign the Game Variables for connecting the cities, yet these variables are not used in any other events.
Lastly, the gold medal requirements in 'General' description say that a connection to Barcelona is needed, but the gold event does not include Barcelona.

Overall, a challenging and nicely designed game. The player is provided a wide variety of train engines and allowed to play without a lot of distractions. The amount and variety of cargo on the map is about right. The major comment I give is to provide some smoother terrain for the player to build on.

!!clap!!
RayofSunshine
CEO

Welcome aboard as a user creator Joan. Always good to have creators with new ideas.
As Oilcan, who is a top critic and helper of suggestions, I don't know as whether I could add any suggestions to what has already been given. And although I have downloaded your scenario, it could be a time before I would play and test it. Having played other scenarios in the Mediterranean Basin, and from the comment of Oilcan, I don't really like mountainous scenarios. I do play them, but not a priority over lesser elevated terrains.

With that being said, you don't have to apologize for language errors. A good percentage of members do not have the education of other languages and would be in "dire straights", if we were found alone in other countries.

Good Luck in any of your future endeavors. :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

This scenario took a lot of time with the creation of the terrain. I did run into some overall problems, which is my problem both with the economy and the moutainous terrain, both of which are mainly of my creation as I don't necessarily enjoy mountainous terrain. They just eat up too much revenue in the laying of tracks.

There is a lot of cargo, but very little hauling of pass/mail for higher revenue. But that is part of the scenario challenge. I used the steam engine, as the one diesel has very little incline power, and the other is 'ugly' and would ward off some of the passengers, of which there is too little.

The access requirements are on the high side. Not being the Tycoon of Oilcan and others of that level, I had a hard time to just attaining adequate revenue for laying track and buying engines. Hence there wasn't much chance of me being able to buy accesses that were required for both the Atlantic, as well as to get access to Madrid.

I may have made a mistake in not attaining the "access rights" for Galicia. An then to connect it to Madrid for $3.000K when the access to Madrid is $50M.

As Oilcan indicates, I had the same revenue problem. I started from Algeciras, and needed 3 bonds to make the connect to Almeria @ 11%. Tunnels would be a boon, but the least I found was $1+M, and that was out of my revenue range most of my playing.

SO I did manage to get the BZ by 2030, which would not give an adequate amount of time for the other reqirements although I only see a medal for BZ and Silver. No Gold mentioned, or at least ""I"" did not see one. Could be wrong

Some of the suggestions of OilCan will be a help to give a player a better chance for play. Not necessarily to make is easier for we lessor leveled Tycoons, but to enhance a user created scenario in imagination.

Good Luck and am looking forward to future of your creations. :salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

Ray of Sunshine wrote:With that being said, you don't have to apologize for language errors. A good percentage of members do not have the education of other languages and would be in "dire straights", if we were found alone in other countries.
Ths is true. Anyone who is not fluent in several languages has no right to feel superior if somebody makes minor mistakes in one particular language. Your English is a lot better than my Spanish.

Although, I do have to point out that the term is actually "dire straits", Ray. :mrgreen: It's an old maritime expression, from sailing ship days, that refers to trying to sail in a narrow stretch of water between two nasty pieces of coast (ie: a strait). ;-)

I haven't actually tried the map, as I don't currently have 1.06 installed. If I get around to installing it I'll give this a test run, as long as I can use steam. Steam good. Diesel bad. Electric is beneath contempt. (0!!0)
RayofSunshine
CEO

See Joan,
What did I tell you. Even in English, we don't always have the "correct" words. LOL

I grew up in a Finish and Belgium enviornment. OH, and Polish. Know a few words in each, and a couple in French. I would be lost in another country without an interpretor.

Also my Father was from Checkoslavakia (?) We had a "good" time with some of his pronunciations of some English words. The one most common was that of his saying that he came from a small "willage". In his language did not have the letter "V". But, being that although he had to learn English to survive, he lived in a Polish community, and could speak fluent Polish. I could never pick up on any of his knowledgeable language. Really missed a lot by not getting more involved, but being in the United States, English was the easiest way out.

We are all human, and therefore, good luck in all your endeavors.

Now if I can get things "straight". Or is it "strait". LOL :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Joan,
I started to scan through the "unfinished" scenarios again, and find that there has not been any upgrading of the beta. With all the comments which OilCan has made, I would have believed that you would have made some corrections to the "original".
However, I apologize for not having more more comments, as I did get distracted, in playing later "betas", and did forget to get back to another attempt.
Hope you give the scenario another attempt, as I know that it does take an amount of time to create, let alone make changes, and am looking forward to that attempt. !*th_up*!
:salute: {,0,}