Speed adjustment considerations

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Speed adjustment considerations Unread post

Ok, good. I was worried there for a minute that something was wrong with my game. The 560t engine and 60t tender are pretty confusing. I got them confused all over in the fuel costs thread. I was quoting 600t at times and 620t at others. I haven't been bothered to go back and re-correct my posts there. If you notice the fuel cost in one of my tests for the stock Big Boy was 108k instead of 112k making it the only odd one out. Well turns out that I thought I had returned the Big Boy to original, but in fact had believed my own lie and put 540 instead of 560. *!*!*!

Good idea to lump engine and tender weights together in the engine .car file. !*th_up*!

If I understood what you said correctly, I would assume that the game uses an average of all consist weights. I don't have time right now, but we could also do some physical testing for the odd grade values like 1% and 3% just to double check that your stats match real-game performance. The difficulty I see is that in-game I bet those grade figures are an average. I know for a fact that a 3% grade can change color from yellow-green to a lighter orange. This is why I have puzzled a bit on how to test graded performance in-game. Maybe the actual grade is recorded somewhere, or perhaps it doesn't matter after all, and the game is just reading the average before calculating speed reduction. Might be worth testing at some point.

A little off-topic, but I did notice that with Lirio's pack when I tried to event a loco availability, I noticed that the Standard 4-4-0 wasn't there. Nor was the American 4-4-0 that she renamed it from. I remember that a couple others were missing as well. Just wondering is that explainable from the muck-up caused by the re-naming process or is this a limitation of adding new locos to the game or is it a 1.06 bug?
Gumboots
CEO

I don't think we should get too pedantic about the accuracy of speed stats. If they're generally within 1 or 2 mph of the speed we see in the game, I think that is the best that can be hoped for. Rounding errors, minor track kinks, etc, will probably mean that perfect agreement won't be possible. We can test it when we have time and, if necessary, make some adjustments to various factors.

I'm confident that if the calculated speeds match for the even-numbered grades they will also match for the odd-numbered grades. Putting it another way, the stats from the spreadsheet shouldn't be any rougher for 1 and 3% than the stats from the game are for 2 and 4%. They pretty much have to be as good. The formula is very tightly constrained. I plotted the changes in coefficients between grades to an accuracy of 1 in 10,000 (IOW, four figures). I don't think we can spot anything that small during gameplay, even allowing for the large exponents used at times.

The loco availability thing seems to be a result of the renaming mucking things up. The game apparently lists available locos on the basis of display name rather than internal ID number, so any renaming at all will bork existing maps that rely on default names. This is a nuisance, but not a major one.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, so I have it working perfectly with free weight on a 0% grade. Still haven't got it working on non-zero grades, but that's a nesting problem in the formula. There are so many brackets and bits of stuff in the tiny input bar that it's a bit hard to keep them all straight. I'll copy/paste it out to somewhere more spacious tomorrow and go over it in detail. Should be ok once I try a few things and get the ordering right.

However it is working on a 0% grade. I tested it with a range of locos, from the Adler to the Red Devil, and a range of consist weights from pre-1850 to post-1950. Occasionally it'll differ from the game's stats pop-up by 1 mph somewhere, due to rounding error, but generally the figures are an exact match. So this is good. !*th_up*!

I also have the conditionals I wanted working. The speed output will now never drop below 1 mph, just like the game's stats, and will never exceed top speed no matter of how high you push free weight. So you'll always get an output that makes sense. The conditional for consists shorter than 8 cars works now too. If you choose a 6 car limit on your consist, the last two columns will just show - in all cells, instead of numbers.

The other good thing is that I found out I can give cells, and cell ranges, custom names instead of just using their basic XY location. This has cleaned up the formula a lot. For the 8th car on 0% grade it now looks like this:

Code: Select all

= IF(Consist_length > 7; MIN(Top_speed; MAX(1;((0.98^((SUM(Consist_8))/8))^((8-((8*Free_weight)/SUM(Consist_8)))/Pulling_power))*Top_speed));"-")
Which is a lot more comprehensible than what was there before. :-D
Gumboots
CEO

Yee ha! ::!**!

Got it working with all consists on all grades, with every locomotive tested so far. !*th_up*!

On grades of 0%, 2%, 4% and 6% the generated results match the game's stats pop-up to an accuracy of 1 mph at worst, and usually match exactly. Results on non-standard grades of 1%, 3%, 5%, 7% and 8% cannot be directly checked against in-game stats, but the progression of speeds looks to be correct. I expect them to be equally accurate. Note that the locos currently listed are using default PopTop stats, not Lirio's stats.

I haven't yet tested with any diesel or electric locos as I don't currently have them installed, but I don't expect the game to use different equations for diesel and electric. I'm pretty sure the differences between steam and the other two types are only done with the usual ratings (weight, fuel economy etc, etc).

Edit: Just ran a quick test, which confirms that the spreadsheet still works for diesel and electric locomotives. Speed/grade/consist figures from the spreadsheet, for the C55 Deltic diesel and the 2-D-2 electric, match the game's stats exactly.

I have included a diesel example (C55 Deltic) and an electric example (2-D-2) over to the right of all the steam locomotives. The plan here is to give each fuel type its own column. That way if you're only interested in checking diesel you can collapse the steam column. If you only want electric, just collapse the steam and diesel columns. I'll add more locos of all types later. Might as well have them all.

Zip attached, containing Open Office and Excel versions. (0!!0)

The Excel version is stripped down to the basic speed/grade/consist calculator. The Open Office version has the basic calculator on the first sheet. The other five sheets in the Open Office version are all the background work I did to figure out the equations behind it. Have a look through them if you're interested in the back end stuff. Ignore them if you're not interested.

Edit: Latest version attached here.
Last edited by Gumboots on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote:The conditional for consists shorter than 8 cars works now too. If you choose a 6 car limit on your consist, the last two columns will just show - in all cells, instead of numbers.
What is the purpose for this? Is the number for a consist limited to 6-cars going to differ from taking the value for #6 from the full one that displays values all the way up to 8 cars?

Will get into looking through some figures now. I am interested in whether the game rounds off the grades before putting them in the formula for a gameplay purpose. For example, if I am laying track and I make it do a corner to keep track grade from passing 4%, but I only just get it to read 4%. If the direct route will only just return 5%, does the formula record a 4/5 jump or just a fractional one where the game is using a decimal figure, but rounding to give the displayed figure.

Thanks to all your hard work we can try many different settings quickly. !*th_up*! The question to be answered is can we make express trains of the early eras (when there's less numerical gap between the freight and express weights) fast enough up grades while being useless at freight? Especially if we give the express locos low fuel costs, we don't want people to start using them on the dead flat runs as an exploit. Obviously, understanding the formula more will help in understanding the limits in keeping flat ground weight hauling down and yet getting decent graded peformance. But, I will attempt it anyway.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:What is the purpose for this? Is the number for a consist limited to 6-cars going to differ from taking the value for #6 from the full one that displays values all the way up to 8 cars?
No, the values won't differ. I just added the extra conditional to clean up the table if you're specifically wanting to explore shorter consists. It's just a visual convenience that saves your brain having to ignore data you're not interested in at the time. I find it useful, but you don't have to use it.
Thanks to all your hard work we can try many different settings quickly. !*th_up*! The question to be answered is can we make express trains of the early eras (when there's less numerical gap between the freight and express weights) fast enough up grades while being useless at freight? Especially if we give the express locos low fuel costs, we don't want people to start using them on the dead flat runs as an exploit. Obviously, understanding the formula more will help in understanding the limits in keeping flat ground weight hauling down and yet getting decent graded peformance. But, I will attempt it anyway.
I didn't mind the work. It was an interesting exercise, and now we have a useful tool. I've already taken a quick look at some basic stats for early era stuff. I grabbed default PopTop stats for the Connie and the Stirling, and compared them with their usual B era PopTop freight and express consists, as well as with the current proposal for late 19th century freight and express and mixed.

We can quickly and easily dial in any specific performance we want now (I've had a quick play with that too, and forsooth it rocketh) but even with default loco stats there's a good split in capabilities. Basically, on grades of 3% or less the Stirling would haul the proposed 1890 express like a Connie hauls default B era freight (IOW, it'll finally make you happy) and the Connie is a still a good freight hauler with the proposed 30% heavier average freight.

When you move up to mixed traffic the Stirling becomes a bit weaker than it is with default B era express, which IMO makes it pretty much useless unless the terrain is a perfect 0% everywhere. The Connie would be a far better choice for that role if there are any imperfections in the terrain. We also have the options of altering weights, and reliability and fuel economy ratings, to get an even more definite split in loco categories. For example, I was thinking that since express locos will be tailored towards the lightest consists they should have the worst fuel economy ratings. The light consists will keep their fuel bills reasonable, and the comparatively poor fuel rating would make them less suitable for any heavier consists. You could use them for mixed in a pinch, but you'd naturally prefer to use something else. I think it's looking quite workable.

BTW, the heaviest 1890 freights in the current proposal are 20 tons, which is the same as default post-1900 freights. Default Connies will still handle default post-1900 freight consists. They don't like it an awful lot if there's much in the way of grades, but they'll do it, so that aspect is looking ok too.

Pic attached of the basic stats comparison.

Edit: I think I'll add a basic fuel bill indicator to the sheet. Since we'll obviously be using weight and fuel economy as significant balancing factors, it makes sense to have some indication of how locomotive weight changes will affect fuel bills as well as performance on grades. I'd keep this simple. It can just take total train weight and the given fuel economy rating, and output a relative figure on a simple tons/miles basis for comparison with other options. I won't take it further than this, because there are too many possible variables, but a quick and obvious indicator like this should be a useful (and easy) addition to the sheet.
Attachments
Basic_comparison_1.png
Gumboots
CEO

Here ya go. Updated version that includes fuel economy ratings, with a displayed fuel bill that matches the equivalent Year 1 figure from your existing fuel cost sheet. Should be handy once we get into custom stats balancing. !*th_up*!

Edit: Zip removed. Get the final version of the spreadsheet here.
Last edited by Gumboots on Sun May 28, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

I ran a few tests and I can see that the game isn't using only the displayed integer levels for the grades which is good. From a gameplay perspective, the more subtle you can be on grades the better.

At first glance I would say that the Stirling would be ok with the proposed mixed consist (7.8 tons). This is quite comparable to the current Mallard or Zephyr which are useful on flat ground. But, then I remember my own post about the readouts in the game being out compared to the actual .car file value that is used. So I must get accustomed to accurate readings which are for the proposed maximum speed which in many cases will not be reached in actual service with Average or worse acceleration.

I am looking at the formula from the spreadsheet. It seems to me that the graded formula uses a lower base for consist weight than for loco+tender weight. For example this is from 5% grade for 1 car:

=MAX(1,(MIN(1,(1.2239^(Free_weight/10))*(0.9572^(SUM(Loco_plus_tender)))*(0.938^Consist_1)))^(1/Pulling_power)*Top_speed)
So we have 0.9572 for the engine vs. 0.938 for the consist. This means that not only does engine weight come into play on grades (it means nothing on the flat ground, :-P ), but also it has MORE effect on speed reduction than consist weight. Go figure. !hairpull!

This can only mean that optimizing graded performance for light-duty trains such as express will mean in general that engine weight should be lighter if we want to prevent them being exploited for light freight duties.

Here's a pic to illustrate using the American (10x speed to better gauge differences at low speed). Of course, the train is underpowered once the engine weight is added. Pulling power and/or free weight could be increased to get better performance on grades. This will work fine to get good graded performance, but both these actions will sacrifice the flat-ground split at these car weights. If I understand correctly, increasing pulling power will decrease the possible variations over the range of performance stats for a given car weight.
American test showing effect of engine weight on grades.jpg
This is about the best way to get graded performance at low weights while including good penalties on flat ground service that I am likely to come up with. Even at 0t engine weight, there's still the possibility of hauling a couple cars of light freight while still getting decent all-round performance, but maxxing out at 3 cars of light freight should make this fairly unattractive. Another thing is that this engine is currently introduced (1845) in the era of the 1 ton express and 3 ton minimum freight. So, this exercise is a test instead of a recommendation for final settings.

I have been thinking that reliability could be a discouragement to using express locos for other service, but the 3 year grace period before this kicks in is plenty long enough to allow exploitation in the initial high-growth stages.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:I ran a few tests and I can see that the game isn't using only the displayed integer levels for the grades which is good. From a gameplay perspective, the more subtle you can be on grades the better.

At first glance I would say that the Stirling would be ok with the proposed mixed consist (7.8 tons).
It would be ok if the terrain was absolutely, slate-based, competition grade, billiard table flat. It would be pretty much useless in any other situation, IMO. There would be other locos which would do the job better. Particularly once fuel consumption comes into play. With the proposed consists it would make sense to run the Stirling at a rating of 7, the Connie (or other heavy freighter) at 5, and a mixed loco at 6. This should give reasonable fuel bills for all in their designated slots, but make them less useful in "inappropriate" roles.

I am looking at the formula from the spreadsheet. It seems to me that the graded formula uses a lower base for consist weight than for loco+tender weight. For example this is from 5% grade for 1 car:

=MAX(1,(MIN(1,(1.2239^(Free_weight/10))*(0.9572^(SUM(Loco_plus_tender)))*(0.938^Consist_1)))^(1/Pulling_power)*Top_speed)
So we have 0.9572 for the engine vs. 0.938 for the consist. This means that not only does engine weight come into play on grades (it means nothing on the flat ground, :-P ), but also it has MORE effect on speed reduction than consist weight. Go figure. !hairpull!
It depends very much on loco/tender weight and on consist weight. You have to consider the exponents, not just the base coefficient. Once the exponents are applied, the minor difference in base coefficients can become far less important. For example, if the consist is 160 tons and the loco/tender is 320 tons, then that extra power of 160 on the loco/tender coefficient will render the resulting output far smaller than the one for the consist.
This can only mean that optimizing graded performance for light-duty trains such as express will mean in general that engine weight should be lighter if we want to prevent them being exploited for light freight duties.
I disagree. Since they will be hauling very light consists, it makes more sense to make express engines relatively heavier and mixed or freight engines relatively lighter. This will help the hauling ability and fuel consumption of the latter, if they need it (particularly heavy freight) while not penalising express locos too much (coz they're running really light anyway, so no worries about grades and fuel).

I have been thinking that reliability could be a discouragement to using express locos for other service, but the 3 year grace period before this kicks in is plenty long enough to allow exploitation in the initial high-growth stages.
It can still be used to some extent. People usually keep locos longer than a few years, so reliability should become a significant balancing factor.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:I am looking at the formula from the spreadsheet. It seems to me that the graded formula uses a lower base for consist weight than for loco+tender weight. For example this is from 5% grade for 1 car:

Thought of another way of explaining this, since on reflection my last attempt didn't make much sense.

Since we're talking about multiplication and a resulting reduction in speed, the smaller the multiplier the greater the reduction in speed. Multiplying speed by 0.1 has a much more severe effect than multiplying speed by 0.9. So even just considering the base coefficients, without any exponents, the consist factor (0.938) is going to have a more severe effect on speed reduction than the loco/tender factor (0.9572).

The exponents (directly related to weight) can change this. 0.9572 squared is 0.9162. Another way of putting this is that 0.9572^(n+1) < 0.938^n. IOW, as soon as the loco/tender weight exceeds consist weight by 1 ton, the reduction in speed due to loco/tender weight will be more than the reduction in speed due to consist weight. So a light loco hauling heavy freight loses most speed due to consist weight, and a very heavy loco hauling express loses most speed due to loco weight. This is actually pretty sensible.

Yes, if you are purely concerned with maximising performance up grades then express locos should be as light as possible. I'm not purely concerned with that though. I don't want to maximise the performance of express locos up grades. I just want their performance to be useful when they are hauling an express consist.

The way to get this, AFAICT, is to trade off the lighter express consist against a heavier express locomotive and a worse fuel economy rating. This can be balanced to give useful performance combined with useful fuel costs. I've run some basic calculations which show this is possible. If the same locomotive is then made to haul a heavier consist, fuel bills will go up and performance will go down. This will make it less attractive for heavier consists, even if it still has a higher top speed under perfect conditions on flat terrain. I know I can run all Mallards and Class 01's on flat terrain on the Italy map. I know they will be faster on flat terrain than Kriegsloks. I also know that Kriegsloks will make more money with heavy consists, due to lower running costs.

That said, there may still be circumstances when you would want to run some light freight with some express locos some of the time, but that happened in real life too. I'm not after a perfect bulletproof solution for any and all cases. I don't think that's practicaI. I just want a better solution than we currently have, and I'm pretty sure that's possible.
RulerofRails
CEO

Yep. I was wrong again. :oops: I have to remember to think of multiplying by a decimal<1 as dividing by the inverse. Otherwise I forget. !facepalm!

I can see what you are saying even with the first example. I always tend to think of full trains. Obviously, a 1-car train will have a much greater proportion of weight for the engine. I am also adjusting to thinking of the real car weights. I have too much experience with the false ones in the game's engine stat display. I can see that the circumstance you mentioned is true for the default Northern with 8 default C-era cars (20 tons each). The way I always thought (thinking that C era is .car + .cgo files or 40 tons) most of the default engines seemed to conform to the rule of engine + tender weight is less than a full 8-car consist. Obviously with the .car file weights only, this goes out the window. This means that my statement although inaccurate is somewhat true in principle because there are more cases where engine weight exceeds consist weight (at 8 cars) than I considered before. For example the default Stirling engine and tender weight of 97 tons, compared to the maximum consist weight with 8 default (10t) freight cars of 80 tons.
Maybe I said that too definitely. Adjusting speed would give a physical differentiation between express and mixed classes. I was exploring possibilities here, not suggesting the project go down this path. I knew that the game was weak at obtaining a decent drop off on flat ground vs. grades when increasing car weights. The fact that level running doesn't consider engine weight at all makes this more of a curiosity than a possible practical plan. Not enough adjustability in it. I view the economic reasons (fuel costs) as being more important to get right.

You talked about increasing difficultly in another thread. Did you make a graph that compares the change in car weight vs. proposed approx. fuel cost settings over the timespan of the game in which we can see how much the cost of transport a load of say Meat will increase over time? The economics of the game and revenue potential stay the same. There may be some room to increase difficulty by slightly raising fuel costs in the earlier time frames so that the gap in fuel costs for transporting a game is less compared to the latter eras as long as we don't get carried away to try a larger increase that would make rot factor works against this seeing slower locos are affected more. The early (even discounting the Planet etc. that have such a speed penalty) locos seem to have low fuel costs to me. What are your thoughts on this?
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah with express locos and the proposed reduced express consist weights, we would inevitably end up with express locos being far heavier than the consists they haul. I'm not worried about this because we're not hauling real tons with real trains anyway. We're just trying to find a balanced and interesting solution for a non-realistic game, while working within the restrictions of the limited coding available for the job.

I think we can still accept express locos being somewhat weak on grades. If the section is heavily graded then you could either use a more specialised express loco (think LNER P2 or DRG BR39) with more grunt but higher running costs, or use one of the mixed traffic locos for that section instead. This mirrors actual railway practice. I do think the normal express locos should be able to give a good account of themselves with full consists on RT3 grades of up to 2%, with acceptable movement up to 3% or so. At the moment they lose so much speed that you're better off using a freight loco for faster turnaround, unless you run a tiny consist which will make no profit. I've tested this umpteen times, and I know for a fact that on non-perfect terrain, but still "quite flat" from most people's perspective, a Connie makes a far superior express loco to a Stirling provided you give it room to wind out. It will haul more load and still do it faster, despite having a lower nominal top speed and slower acceleration.

Frankly, I think sorting the economics of express is one of the last challenges left in tweaking the game. Take OilCan's latest beta map. It's specifically about hauling express, but the map's author specifically recommends against running express-only consists because, despite all the things that have been done to deliberately boost pax production and prices on that map, express-only consists still won't make enough money to be worthwhile. Then you yourself say that you rarely bother with express to any great extent, which is another indicator of a problem. I'm in the same boat. The reason everyone just runs mixed consists everywhere is because nothing else really works. That's what got me thinking that if we can improve express performance and running costs while still getting a well-defined split to freight and mixed, it should add more interest to the game.

You talked about increasing difficultly in another thread. Did you make a graph that compares the change in car weight vs. proposed approx. fuel cost settings over the timespan of the game in which we can see how much the cost of transport a load of say Meat will increase over time? The economics of the game and revenue potential stay the same. There may be some room to increase difficulty by slightly raising fuel costs in the earlier time frames so that the gap in fuel costs for transporting a game is less compared to the latter eras as long as we don't get carried away to try a larger increase that would make rot factor works against this seeing slower locos are affected more. The early (even discounting the Planet etc. that have such a speed penalty) locos seem to have low fuel costs to me. What are your thoughts on this?
Well I haven't graphed any of that yet, but with the latest plan there shouldn't be much in the way of increased freight costs because the heaviest cars aren't much heavier than what we have now (only 20%) and we can always play around with loco weights and fuel ratings if necessary. We could easily sustain 20% higher fuel costs for late era freight anyway. I did do some testing with 60 ton cars and IMO it was still quite workable, so I can't see 48 ton cars presenting significant issues. But now that you've mentioned it, graphing things is probably a good idea. Nice pictures are good for getting the brain working.

What I was thinking, as far as it's got, was that we should probably take cues from the originals game's costings, given that it was given quite a lot of testing for balance. I have been wondering about the earlier locos and their lower fuel costs, but then they are hauling less stuff so that seems to make sense. I'm currently thinking we don't have to worry too much about that end of the game, but should ensure things don't become too expensive at the other end of the game. I'm open to anything that will work well though. If there seems to be a benefit in increasing costs early in the game I don't see why we couldn't do that.

Edit: About later era fuel costs. I just took a quick look at the relative costs for Kriegslok with 7 D era freight + caboose (total of 448 tons) and a Kriegslok with 7 of the proposed 48 ton freight + proposed 25 ton caboose for the same era (total 476 tons). Fuel bill on your sheet's figures goes from $65k to $69k, which IMO wouldn't be a problem at all, even for non-expert players. Even with a full 8 freight consist the total weight is only 499 tons, and fuel figure is $73k, which is only a 12% increase in fuel cost and no increase in any other costs. So I think we don't need to worry about 48 ton cars. Might even round it off to 50 as an upper limit, but should probably not go higher than that.
RulerofRails
CEO

That's fine with me if Express locos are only good for 2%. There are many things that I gotta try to remember, such as: that good track laying and nice maps means 4% is an average sustained maximum on the latest maps anyway. A blanket pulling power increase could be a way for a scenario creator to adjust if they have a particularly hilly map. This will slightly affect the proposed class separations, but within reason we could plan to make sure things don't go messy that way.
Gumboots wrote:I've tested this umpteen times, and I know for a fact that on non-perfect terrain, but still "quite flat" from most people's perspective, a Connie makes a far superior express loco to a Stirling provided you give it room to wind out. It will haul more load and still do it faster, despite having a lower nominal top speed and slower acceleration.
Interesting, so in this case you were unconcerned about the 20% extra revenue from the Ultra Cool rating? I would agree with this approach and say that rail is all about volume (see what I said later on Express volume). If I can haul 8 cars at speed instead of 4 at 20% extra I will take it. With some of these sensitive locos careful track laying and route setup is important. With skill you can vastly improve their usability.

I just ran a quick test to see how the game handles the increase/decrease pulling power and speed events. I only did a few quick flat ground runs, but a 100% increase in pulling power agrees with doubling the pulling power in the formula both from in-game performance and from the in-game read-out. 200% increase means that pulling power value is tripled. Speed reduction acts on top speed, so for -10%, use 90% of top speed and you get the same stats. I never doubted that this is working correctly, I mainly wanted to check if the pulling power event was really a level modifier or an actual %.

The main problem with these modifiers is that they will change All, Steam, Diesel, or Electric locos. The only individual control over a particular loco's economic value that a creator can use is to control the purchase price. If I rail revenue is the main component of my companies' growth, I will no doubt be using the great short term potential from rail as that is currently the game's main advantage to rail revenue. In the short term ROI from an engine is quite dependent on purchase price. I do wish that, in general, scenario creators would mix up the purchase prices instead of mainly leaving these at default. Purchase price is a big part of why the early engines can give far higher ROI than the latter ones.

While the Canyonlands is a map designed around a particular express situation that makes it a fun game IMO, it's in no way a representative of the way the game was designed to handle express. Try a map with lots of cities on a plain like the German one to see a better picture of how the system was intended to work. The reason why I seldom make an express only train is because most of my games are simply a growth curve up to the point that I have achieved the economic goals and/or earned enough money to make the other goals a walk-over. I am looking for best ROI throughout the game, because express currently has little ROI potential I tend to not use Express-only. As I have mentioned elsewhere recently, on good passenger maps setting the first train to Express-only gets extra revenue that is missed if you setup that train with auto-consist. So I am using this feature in that way.

Because I can't currently see an economic reason to use Express-only, the times when I currently set a train up permanently that way are when it helps the goals in another way, for example there is a passenger haulage goal such as in Canyonlands. I take Oilcan's advice with a grain of salt, as I said before his advice isn't aimed at advanced players like you and me. I view this as advice to keep the inexperienced out of a trap if they think they are going to get good ROI (enough to sustain a middling-managed companies' growth) by using Express-only consists. As long as you aren't relying on revenue from Express-only trains to drive company growth (in my Express-only play I relied on the subsidies) they are a good idea to use anytime you need to maximize your passenger haulage. Where applicable I use them in this way.

I do agree that the game's passenger model is quite complex to understand. Half the problem is volume. Currently, on average, there isn't enough volume to keep an express train that services a couple of towns full. Some of the limitation may be in the routing mechanism. It seems a little sensitive to frequency of service (stops at stations). Luckily, Freighters will help keep the frequency higher even though they wont actually haul any passengers.

There is the possibility of recommending standardized events which will increase production and decrease price, especially near game start. Ideally, those events should be adjusted based on map size, city sizes, and city count. Said event could be setup simply so that express production will decrease based on the amount of express that you have already hauled. For example, 1% decrease for 5 cars of Express hauled, then another 1% for 15 cars of Express hauled etc..

I just thought about the double and triple cars, and I was thinking that it's possible to make passenger cars into cuts of several cars, making the train seem longer and potentially being an alternative without the need for standardized adjustment events. The passenger appeal modifier should be able to keep revenue high enough that even hauling a couple of cars is going to be profitable. Drawback is that it will still be possible to have 8 cars of express in some situations which will give silly looking super-long express trains. So not ideal.

PS. I got a bit of time to try some Express testing. What sort of parameters do you have in mind?
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:That's fine with me if Express locos are only good for 2%. There are many things that I gotta try to remember, such as: that good track laying and nice maps means 4% is an average sustained maximum on the latest maps anyway. A blanket pulling power increase could be a way for a scenario creator to adjust if they have a particularly hilly map. This will slightly affect the proposed class separations, but within reason we could plan to make sure things don't go messy that way.
I find that even on the PopTop maps you can usually get away with 4% grades or less, with some odd exceptions. The 2% thing was me looking at the way the default Stirling would go with the proposed express consist. It's good up to 2% but then starts dropping off fairly rapidly. I was wondering about boosting it, which wouldn't be hard to do, but then thought that the way it was would probably be sufficient to it useful without making it too strong. But we can tweak things as we go anyway, if tweaks turn out to make sense.

Interesting, so in this case you were unconcerned about the 20% extra revenue from the Ultra Cool rating? I would agree with this approach and say that rail is all about volume (see what I said later on Express volume). If I can haul 8 cars at speed instead of 4 at 20% extra I will take it. With some of these sensitive locos careful track laying and route setup is important. With skill you can vastly improve their usability.
Yup, volume and speed. This was usually hauling mixed consists too, just because of the current general weakness of pure express in terms of ROI. A Stirling just can't haul mixed, or not nearly enough of it, unless things are absolutely flat. I will sometimes use them on perfect 0% terrain, but find them useless anywhere else. They're just too weak unless you only run 2 or 3 cars.

I do wish that, in general, scenario creators would mix up the purchase prices instead of mainly leaving these at default. Purchase price is a big part of why the early engines can give far higher ROI than the latter ones.
I didn't think you could change loco prices individually. I thought you could only change category prices (steam, diesel, electric). Anyway, if the loco stats are set correctly to start with it shouldn't be necessary for scenario authors to change them.

I do agree that the game's passenger model is quite complex to understand. Half the problem is volume. Currently, on average, there isn't enough volume to keep an express train that services a couple of towns full. Some of the limitation may be in the routing mechanism. It seems a little sensitive to frequency of service (stops at stations). Luckily, Freighters will help keep the frequency higher even though they wont actually haul any passengers.

There is the possibility of recommending standardized events which will increase production and decrease price, especially near game start. Ideally, those events should be adjusted based on map size, city sizes, and city count. Said event could be setup simply so that express production will decrease based on the amount of express that you have already hauled. For example, 1% decrease for 5 cars of Express hauled, then another 1% for 15 cars of Express hauled etc.
That's not a bad idea. I had thought of standardised event packs, so to speak, but hadn't thought of boosting early pax and then decreasing it later to stop it being overwhelming. Could work well. I also agree with the comment about no ROI reason to use pure express. I'm wondering if we could change that, so that at least it becomes somewhat competitive with freight in terms of ROI. It just seems silly to have freight and express as consist options, and locos to go with them, if one of those options never makes enough to be worth using, with the result that nobody ever uses it. I wouldn't want it taking over the game, but it would be good to make it an extra interesting facet of the game.

I just thought about the double and triple cars, and I was thinking that it's possible to make passenger cars into cuts of several cars...
It's possible in the early eras, but they rapidly get too long to make useful doubles. Had a look at that already. The 100 unit limit on wheelbase to keep things looking decent works out to about 83 feet, and most pax cars in later years are just about there anyway. Even the English were running 60 foot cars back in the 1930's. So yeah, we could do double pax cars, but really only before 1900. I also concluded it wasn't a good idea.

PS. I got a bit of time to try some Express testing. What sort of parameters do you have in mind?
Umm, I should whip up some files for the new consist weights, just so we can test those properly. I'd only thought as far as that they should have reasonable fuel costs while hauling the new consists, and be able to haul a full consist at a decent speed on non-perfect terrain, and be able to make enough money to be worth using even if they aren't highly lucrative. IOW, they should behave like real express locos, as much as possible.

Speaking of fuel costs, I notice that for a D era freight Kriegslok your sheet says a fuel bill in the mid-60's. I've mainly used them on the Italy map (they don't seem to turn up much on other maps) but the fuel bills weren't that high. More like half that. This may be because random cargo availability meant they weren't running at full load all the time. Another possible factor is me tending to go heavy with servicing on spurs, so they may spend less time moving loaded. Could be a bit of both.
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote:I didn't think you could change loco prices individually.
Engine cost can be changed individually as well as by category.

About the passenger testing, what sort of map would be representative (PopTop vs. custom and as specific as possible) and how advanced of a system (how many years into the game, how many cities and track miles) should we use as a baseline? What target ROI should we have for Express after the "acceptable size" network is reached?

I ran the Kriegslok on my test track and got a fuel cost of 63k. The prediction was 62.95k. This was at an average speed of 34mph (without service stops) and it takes a complete year to do a full cycle if in-line maintenance stops are included.

As I have mentioned before, this track is 41 track miles longer (266 track miles in each direction) than the default distant before water runs out of approx 225 track miles. Because of this, one would have to be using a steamer quite hard to get higher fuel costs than this will predict. A Kriegslok on this run has just over half a month to spare in extra time. Given a stop in the middle to let another train past and this is a full year's work for a Kriegslok with minimum service (running for 41 miles each direction without water and letting Oil go down to 13% or so).

However, this track is graded, not heavily but as an estimate 30% in total is 2% or more. Maybe half of the remaining is 1%. But, grade or no grade, the short of it is that the high 20s or perhaps even 30mph (not including service stops which fudge the numbers) is the cutoff below which this length of trip will not be completed by a train in a year.

Now my guess is since cities are fairly close on the Italy map your Kriegsloks are averaging lower speeds and making more time penalized station and service stops. I wouldn't be surprised if your trains are only moving under load for 6 months of each year. It might be an interesting exercise to watch a train or two just to see how the stops and speed are playing out.

Since you are using WP&Ps cars it's hard to tell at a glance what weight they are averaging. If you just assumed that consist weights ended up being similar to default, a fuel bill up to 40% lower than predicted is easy to explain given lower average speed (short journeys with Below Average acceleration) and more stops. If you are seeing 50% lower, I would start to factor in some mixed haulage and (as you mentioned) half capacity runs.

The Kriegslok is one of those locos that in current trim and the D-era where fuel cost for the maximum default consist (320 tons) is a much bigger component than the engine/tender weight (115 tons). If we consider maintenance and replacement cost as well, the minimum yearly cost for a Kriegslok working at full capacity on the test track is 100.57k per year giving an engine life of 8 years. It will be handy to reference the maintenance and replacement calculations as well when getting a running cost estimate which will be good to adjust the finer details of especially purchase price once we get the fuel levels figured nicely.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:About the passenger testing, what sort of map would be representative (PopTop vs. custom and as specific as possible) and how advanced of a system (how many years into the game, how many cities and track miles) should we use as a baseline? What target ROI should we have for Express after the "acceptable size" network is reached?
Tricky questions to answer. TBH I have mostly been thinking of the locomotive performance side of things so far, as what is possible there is going to constrain the end result.

Ultimately we want something that will work reasonably well on a broad range of maps, so in a sense getting specific is somewhat counterproductive. Offhand I think something like the old Orient Express map is generally along the lines of a good test case. It has a good mix of terrain and a variety of shorter and longer runs, with a reasonable city density. Some of W Sherricks's map could be good, but they tend to be too flat for a good testing ground IMO. I think we'd want something with more variation in heights.

For the degree of advancement, given that most scenarios are 25 years and that most people will probably spend the first few years doing not a lot with rail, I'd say we should be looking for decent express profits somewhere around the 10 year mark. ROI is also tricky, in that what do you count as the capital cost when trying to decide on ROI just for express? If it's just the purchase price of an express loco, for a lot of locos that's a pretty low bar that is easy to clear. People usually go by annual return in $K when deciding if a train is worth having. We've discussed using a general $100-120k baseline before, but maybe drop that to a consistent $80k for express on fairly good routes at the 10 year mark, with the potential to increase a bit later.

The Kriegslok is one of those locos that in current trim and the D-era where fuel cost for the maximum default consist (320 tons) is a much bigger component than the engine/tender weight (115 tons). If we consider maintenance and replacement cost as well, the minimum yearly cost for a Kriegslok working at full capacity on the test track is 100.57k per year giving an engine life of 8 years.
I don't doubt that your figures match your test track. I'm just not sure your test track matches an average use case.
RulerofRails
CEO

I was going to write another long post, but will try to opt for the simple approach.

There are many variables in the way that express will turn out on a particular map. Not a small part of the rate of success is determined by player choices. Over this we have no control. If you saw my first screenshot on Rails across Russia, you will see that I was making a killing off express early on there. There is no guarantee on what a more average "Expert" player would achieve on that map. Can they keep ROI from rail above the 20-25% that is much more straight-forward to get with industry?

Ideally, we could tie a fuel cost calculation to top speed and acceleration. The variableness I saw in the time a train would spend stopped for service and loading/unloading depending on player choice and strategy meant that I didn't give this a serious attempt. Could still be done though.

Here's an attempt to advance new ideas and put old ones in new light:
The game has high short-term revenue potential that I often chase both for freight and, to a lesser degree, for express as well. The way I see Mixed working as a class is to have these locos cheap, unreliable and with high maintenance and fuel costs. Basically an investment decision of quality for the long-term or a short-term patch decision that is acceptable for chasing the super-high short-term ROI stuff but will need extra replacements etc. later down the road. Essentially, the first 10-20 locos when going for absolute short-term growth to get grubby hands on all those bonds could be those short-term engines. By then the rail network should be big enough to start supporting some express and then subsequent purchases will be Express or Freight locos. The mixed engines will need replacing no later than year 7 and the player will have a good incentive to chose the distinct classes at that point of company growth.

In other words, we are talking about mixed class fulfilling a useful place in the game, but being unsuitable over the longer-term horizon. Probably our efforts should be on making Mixed class useless enough that players should economically choose the others except in extreme growth circumstances. With a little more research into which text strings we could hijack, we could possibly change the class setting on mixed class to a custom one so that with a bit of effort a scenario creator can control how bad these locos are in relation to both dedicated ones (pulling power, speed and reliability.)

When purchasing price is brought to bear upon the question of ROI for a loco, the rot factor data shows that there is not a huge distinction economically for a faster loco if the achieved (needs to consider acceleration as well) average-speed/purchasing-cost ratio is the same. A higher average-speed/purchasing-cost ratio will let a train do more work in an equal fuel cost situation. If trains are initially run with limited service there is less loading/unloading/servicing time so differences in average-speed/purchasing-power ratio have more effect. Freeing up the speed parameters for the classes would allow more realistic speed variations within the classes themselves.

This would give:
Express: good revenue for passengers, cannot haul freight due to prohibitive fuel costs
Mixed: ok revenue for passengers, costly to run and maintain
Freight: poor revenue for passengers, purchasing price higher than Mixed
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:Ideally, we could tie a fuel cost calculation to top speed and acceleration.
I'd be wary of that. I think it could screw the economics if you weren't careful. IMO it's more a case of balancing each loco's fuel bill against what it can realistically earn.

The way I see Mixed working as a class is to have these locos cheap, unreliable and with high maintenance and fuel costs.
I'd be opposed that that concept. The way I see it working is as a class that is useful when neither a heavy freighter or a pure express will do the particular job you need to do. One obvious example is freights with fast rot times. Another is express on heavy grades. Another is branch lines that are worth running, but aren't worth much in the way of dedicated freight and express.

This would give:
Express: good revenue for passengers, cannot haul freight due to prohibitive fuel costs
Mixed: ok revenue for passengers, costly to run and maintain
Freight: poor revenue for passengers, purchasing price higher than Mixed
I agree with using fuel costs, as well as sheer hauling power, to make express locos generally unsuitable for freight. I don't think mixed should be especially costly to fuel and maintain, nor would I be making assumptions about purchase price at this stage. At this stage the only assumptions I'm making are that speed and hauling power and fuel economy should be balanced for the intended consists.
RulerofRails
CEO

I was thinking about the way I normally use a train and not a small part of that is the revenue it can initially haul. Or the ROI I was choosing to ignore in some of my previous post when doing the 1 fast train = 1.5 slow trains comparison. Short-term, but fundamental to building a company using rail profits. At the levels at which rail's ROI potential is at least on par with that of current industry (20%+), my feeling is that the differences in the classes may be too subtle to prevent a smash everything with Mixed option giving better short term and thus likely faster company growth.

The performance gaps will be a large determiner, but testing with the proposed weights will really tell how the engines will perform in-game. Since, as you pointed out, the fuel cost test map isn't an attainable distance for some engines, the gaps given by read-out figures (unless we use a percentage comparison figure) that the indicator gives are necessarily exaggerated real-situation costing splits. That is, when we consider the read-out figure against a suggested baseline (for example I suggested 120k).

Suppose I load up the Orient express map and take the finance option and run a no-industry company. The assumption is for us to then ignore the average express speed requirement which is hardly representative? What about the restricted access aspect of all the countries which adds extra layers of cost to expansion into many areas of the map? TBH, some access restriction is often present on a map, but Orient Express tends to be on the high side IMO. I guess I could work it out as a percentage of cities that are accesable at game start while considering city size as well.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Maybe this isn't the place to make this comment, but one thing that isn't taken into account with any of this proposed modding is that engines have an unlimited fuel supply. Unlike water/sand/oil, it seems that locos have a "pipeline to the heavens" with regard to fuel. I'm baffled as to why the original designers of the game overlooked this basic consideration. **!!!**