Patched the blurry texture issue (properly)

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Patched the blurry texture issue (properly) Unread post

My experience is in line with what Hawk said. Unrendered maps tend to be the larger ones, but I have occasionally seen it on smaller ones as well. In extremely rare, really bad cases, even though zooming in on on the map will reveal that area, I have seen these areas revert to blank during gameplay. I haven't observed any consistency with this problem, if a map loads unrendered once, after restarting the computer it will most probably be fine. I have always suspected that it is something to do with other programs I am using, of course, I have no proof for this. On my old computer I saw this problem more even though I was running XP which is normally friendly with RT3. With my current rig, I have only ever seen this a handful of times out of countless plays. I am pretty confident this issue has nothing to do with your patch.

I tried loading East of Mississippi right now with your patch. It was perfect. I haven't had this issue with any other map either, and I am now using your patch for all my plays except Trainmaster. I was able to successfully patch your fixed exe to 1.06. Works like a charm! When I get some time I will try to apply what you did to the Trainmaster exe file. I am assuming that it is copy and paste, once I manage to find the correct places in hex editor? The reason I love this: it eliminates the weird way my Gfx card was running hard and hot with the DLL "fix". Now it runs cooler, smoother, and faster. Maybe my Gfx card was getting stuck on some sort of loop. **!!!** Anyway, I am really happy with this! !$th_u$!
TruePikachu
Cat

Only if Trainmaster has the relevant code in the same place will the newer patch cleanly apply to it. If not (if the old bytes listed don't match), then you would have to use my older patch; there are two locations with the specified (old) series of bytes, and both would have to be patched. However, since I don't think a full disassembly has been produced of the game, there is a very good chance that the newer patch might still cleanly apply. However, if that space between functions is occupied, you would have to use the older patch.
RulerofRails
CEO

Finally, I had the time to open up hex editor, and applying your patch to the Trainmaster executable was no trouble. I believe TM has only a few changes to the executable and is mainly the same as 1.06. The main difference in gameplay is a re-worked and more involved industrial model with new industries that because of the 3DP import problem are mainly re-skins with a few cosmetic differences on some models. WP&P's great car skins are included along with others made by the creators, notably Ned's passenger carriages available in your choice of either Canadian or German. Also fan-made (more like modified and re-badged) engines and some new engine skins. This is one of WP&P's engines and its base of the Challenger is obvious. I love the engineer in the cab, even though he is only visible on one side:
TM N&W large steam.jpg
TM N&W large steam.jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
PS. This image is heavily compressed and scaled down from 1600x1200, but it still looks great. !*th_up*!
thietavu
Conductor

Great work! So, anything above 2Gb VRAM needs this patch?
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
sleepy
Hobo

The patched rt3.exe worked great for me, and was the only solution that worked as none of the d3d8.dll fixes worked! !$th_u$!

(I've included the file as an attachment in case the original link goes down, which I think is good practice)
Attachments
rt3_patched.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
undertoad
Watchman

Hi everyone

This looks like a great fix: thanks to TruePikachu!

I need it as I've just installed RRT3 on my new spanking-fast go-faster-stripe machine (i5-8400, nVidia GTX1060 6Gb, 256Gb Samsung SSD :-D ). It'S Windows 10, so I patched up to 1.05, applied the Vista Fix and it runs like lightning.

But I'm still getting the blurry textures.

Rather than digging in to hex-editors, I thought I'd download a "made earlier" RT3.exe. TruePikachu's link is dead, though. And the file uploaded by Sleepy is 2,276kB, whereas my unpactched RT3.exe is 4,124kB. Does anyone have a 1.05 file with TruePikachu's fix applied?

thanks!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Have you tried the one sleepy attached? The reason I ask is because you are right; the default exe is 4,124, but if you use the no-cd patch found on this site, it's exe is 2,276.
It's likely that the one sleepy attached is patched with the fix, along with the no-cd patch.

Try it. Just make sure you backup your existing exe, or rename it to something like RT3-org.exe.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

undertoad wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 amRather than digging in to hex-editors, I thought I'd download a "made earlier" RT3.exe. TruePikachu's link is dead, though. And the file uploaded by Sleepy is 2,276kB, whereas my unpactched RT3.exe is 4,124kB. Does anyone have a 1.05 file with TruePikachu's fix applied?
TBH I'm not sure anyone uses that anymore. The dgVoodoo fix cures blurry textures perfectly, without having to mess around with the .exe.

It's weird though that the patched .exe has a 45% reduction in bytes compared to a default .exe. A minor difference wouldn't have me worried, but 45% is a huge difference, being close to half the original. Offhand, it looks like a car with two wheels.

Does anyone know why the patched .exe is close to half the size of the default? What was removed?
undertoad
Watchman

Hi Hawk, hope you're keeping well!

I tried sleepy's file. Works perfectly, thanks! Really strange that the nocd fix reduces the file size so much.

I can't be bothered to copy my save-games over, so I'm starting over from GoWest. Not that I mind :-D

RRT3 on a powerful machine is really something.
Gumboots
CEO

If you use the dgVoodoo you can run RT3 without the Vista fix, and still not get CTD or blurry textures problems.

It gives much better lighting and shading compared to running with the Vista fix.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

undertoad wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm Really strange that the nocd fix reduces the file size so much.
I guess that copy protection they used really adds to the exe's file size.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:40 pmIt's weird though that the patched .exe has a 45% reduction in bytes compared to a default .exe. A minor difference wouldn't have me worried, but 45% is a huge difference, being close to half the original. Offhand, it looks like a car with two wheels.

Does anyone know why the patched .exe is close to half the size of the default? What was removed?
At the risk of sounding redundant, the size difference has always been this way comparing the original exe to the no-cd one. As Hawk said, this blurry texture patch was applied to the no-cd version so it's small.

For the longest time I have being using the no-cd version. The GoG version is this same size as well. This is "official" so presumably all that extra bloat was never needed.
Gumboots
CEO

Fair enough. I was just wondering what was removed.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:03 am Fair enough. I was just wondering what was removed.
My guess is, as I mentioned, the copy protection junk. (0!!0)
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Must have been a huge pile of junk. :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:08 am Must have been a huge pile of junk. :-D
Yep! I agree with that. :mrgreen:
Hawk