New Steam Locos?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.

what is your opinion?

do you want a new madoson type?

4(14%)
do you want trains to be more historicly baised?

6(21%)
do you want a new ten wheeller type?

4(14%)
do you want a new set of mallet locomotives?

5(17%)
do you want more steam locomotives in genral?

7(24%)
have you ever skined a locomotive?

No votes
do you agree with my statements?

3(10%)

Total votes: 29

gismoskip
Brakeman

New Steam Locos? Unread post

do you want more steam locos? i'm a really good 3D artist and i work with EXTREMELY complicated 3D stuff. how do you exactly make new locomotives? i want to know, because i want to make my own steam loco pack(and my historical updates).(and i'll spend a year if i have to)

for one: madoson class was invented 1871, one year before the consolidation.
for two: consolidation was produced for 60 years.
for three: the ten wheeller type was invented in 1866.
for four: the mongul type was invented in 1861 - not 1883(twenty years later)!!!!!!!!
for five: the first 4-4-0 was invented in 1846!!!!

the point: the locomotives and their time frames are very unrealistic.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Re: New Steam Locos? Unread post

MOAR
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
Blackhawk
CEO

As we told A&BC there are a limited number of slots available for adding more engines. There are some available in 1.05. I don't think any available in 1.06. And a couple in Trainmaster which Ned may or may not have earmarked for certain locomotives as he gets time to work on them.

Since you and A&BC are both interested in creating more engines you may want to work together on it. Or maybe one of you works on the engines and the other works on a map that would take advantage of the new engines.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Altoona+BeachCreek wrote:MOAR
ok, have you ever done a skinning of a locomotive; i assume not. lol.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Blackhawk wrote:As we told A&BC there are a limited number of slots available for adding more engines. There are some available in 1.05. I don't think any available in 1.06. And a couple in Trainmaster which Ned may or may not have earmarked for certain locomotives as he gets time to work on them.

Since you and A&BC are both interested in creating more engines you may want to work together on it. Or maybe one of you works on the engines and the other works on a map that would take advantage of the new engines.
good idea! i've been working on a northeastern map with altoona - it's going to have some Train "reaserch and development" for upgrades, new engines, and other things. but i'm great with 3D stuff - i don't know. does anyone here know how to make loco skins?(and what's needed to do it)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Check this link - http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/TM/ - Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find TM Rolling-Stock Developer Kit.
It may be of some help.

Also, on this page - http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Tips_Tuts_Utils.htm - Scroll down to find the RRT3 Engine Building Tutorial, and you might also need PJay's BMP/GMP Utilities on the same page.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

note: you live in altoona? (and you're 14?) im a teen too. lol. also, i my new map, i'm gonna have altoona events - ones related to locomotive research - i wouldn't mind you telling me when they were in buisness.(mainly the begining years)
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

gismoskip wrote:
note: you live in altoona? (and you're 14?) im a teen too. lol. also, i my new map, i'm gonna have altoona events - ones related to locomotive research - i wouldn't mind you telling me when they were in buisness.(mainly the begining years)
Yes, yes, and MY PLEASURE! lol
Alright, I'll give you the short story. The Pennsylvania Railroad bought the land which would become Altoona from in 1850 from the Robesons, who, if you can believe it, are my ancestors!!! The whole purpose of Altoona was to be a maintenance shop for locomotives going up and over the grade of the Alleghenies and the near by, not-yet-built Horseshoe Curve. In the 1860's, construction began on major repair, construction, and maintenance shops. By the end of the year there is an eight stall roundhouse, a machine shop, paint shop, woodwork shop, blacksmith shop, locomotive repair shop, and foundry. Later on, three roundhouses were built, one of which in central Altoona is the world's largest for a period of time. In 1853, PRR buys yet more land for more construction. In '66, a new blacksmith shop opens. In '69, Altoona Shops complete 25 new coaches with modern type clerestories, gas lighting, and Westinghouse air brakes for New York-Chicago service. In march of '82, the first and only class L 2-4-6 Forney-type tank locomotive (#4) built at Altoona. It was an unsuccessful design, needless to say. Alright, that's all I'm gonna type, I just can't pick the really important stuff, and I'm going to end up with a complete history. So, if you do want a complete history, check out this link: http://www.altoonaworks.info/timeline.html

If you want information (ALL OF IT) on anything train-related in Altoona, I HIGHLY recommend giving the base website, http://www.altoonaworks.info, a look over. It is the work of Lance Richard Myers the Omnipotent One, and it includes info from Pennsy's charter to the current second. No, seriously. A facebook- based newsfeed allows him to post constant updates of anything important, and there are records and charts of modern day rebuilds, insourcing, and brand new locos painted, as well as so, so much more. So.... have fun!!! ::!**!
gismoskip
Brakeman

Altoona+BeachCreek wrote:
gismoskip wrote: note: you live in altoona? (and you're 14?) im a teen too. lol. also, i my new map, i'm gonna have altoona events - ones related to locomotive research - i wouldn't mind you telling me when they were in buisness.(mainly the begining years)
Yes, yes, and MY PLEASURE! lol
Alright, I'll give you the short story. The Pennsylvania Railroad bought the land which would become Altoona from in 1850 from the Robesons, who, if you can believe it, are my ancestors!!! The whole purpose of Altoona was to be a maintenance shop for locomotives going up and over the grade of the Alleghenies and the near by, not-yet-built Horseshoe Curve. In the 1860's, construction began on major repair, construction, and maintenance shops. By the end of the year there is an eight stall roundhouse, a machine shop, paint shop, woodwork shop, blacksmith shop, locomotive repair shop, and foundry. Later on, three roundhouses were built, one of which in central Altoona is the world's largest for a period of time. In 1853, PRR buys yet more land for more construction. In '66, a new blacksmith shop opens. In '69, Altoona Shops complete 25 new coaches with modern type clerestories, gas lighting, and Westinghouse air brakes for New York-Chicago service. In march of '82, the first and only class L 2-4-6 Forney-type tank locomotive (#4) built at Altoona. It was an unsuccessful design, needless to say. Alright, that's all I'm gonna type, I just can't pick the really important stuff, and I'm going to end up with a complete history. So, if you do want a complete history, check out this link: http://www.altoonaworks.info/timeline.html

If you want information (ALL OF IT) on anything train-related in Altoona, I HIGHLY recommend giving the base website, http://www.altoonaworks.info, a look over. It is the work of Lance Richard Myers the Omnipotent One, and it includes info from Pennsy's charter to the current second. No, seriously. A facebook- based newsfeed allows him to post constant updates of anything important, and there are records and charts of modern day rebuilds, insourcing, and brand new locos painted, as well as so, so much more. So.... have fun!!! ::!**!
thanks! and i do belive you on that your ansesters were them. i can belive it. note: i live in Kentucky in a tiny town, so i have nothing to say that my home is somewhere interesting.

i will check out that site - and also, my map is going to have some fictional things on your town, just so you know. i like spicing up my railroad maps! ::!**!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Altoona+BeachCreek wrote:from the Robesons, who, if you can believe it, are my ancestors!!!
I had an Uncle in Ohio that was a Robeson.
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:
Altoona+BeachCreek wrote:from the Robesons, who, if you can believe it, are my ancestors!!!
I had an Uncle in Ohio that was a Robeson.
lol. maybe . . . . . . |--0 naa.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Blackhawk wrote:As we told A&BC there are a limited number of slots available for adding more engines. There are some available in 1.05. I don't think any available in 1.06. And a couple in Trainmaster which Ned may or may not have earmarked for certain locomotives as he gets time to work on them.

i know about that, what i would suggest is asking everyone what they want to get rid of. i would get rid of: orca class, a few minor electrics, and then i would add some steam locomotives. ones i am thinking about are: iron duke, madison type, maybe a double consolidation option, and maybe the same with the atlantic or others.(like the double deseals) add more early steamers for USA, like the grasshopper, hercules, and others. add more modern steam locos, like the T1 4-4-4-4, (if i remember correctly, link to a pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T1_color_photo.jpg )
Blackhawk
CEO

If you are going to remove locomotives in order to add some, you'll need to include very detailed instructions or just tell the person to delete the engines folder and release all the engines together in one file (originals that you want and ones that you work on) The person will probably want this done on a separate install of RT3 or else they'll lose their original engine package as well. Of course this is getting way ahead of things.

In reality, it takes a lot of effort to make a good looking engine in RT3. It also would help to have scenarios that take advantage of any new engines otherwise they are primarily just there for show and sandbox mode.

I would say start with one that you really want to do and see how much time it takes you to develop it. From there if you can get it done in a reasonable time frame then decide on what other engines you'd want in there and which you'd want to remove.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Alright, everyone here has some great ideas. Time to consolidate...
First off, gismo, while it would be SO awesome to have double headed steamers, that would require a LOT of tweaking to the general way RT3 handles engines and engine files. The reason is the following: Diesels are capable of being doubled in RT3 is only because of the slot for a tender that is available. This allows for a second unit in the consist that is technically only a part of the engine itself. In other words, it's deadweight and just there for looks, while the head engine is really doing the work. It's not the fact that the second unit is there that makes the engine approximately twice as powerful, but really, the first engine is just beefed up. Therefore, in order to have doubled steamers, we'd have to either A) find a way to combine steam engines and their tenders into one, hen double that just like we do the diesels, or B) find a way to increase the maximum number of "tenders" that can be hauled .
Secondly, the idea of new engines most of the time is for a specific role in a map. Take for example, Ned's "Cowboy Engines" which play a part in his Deadwood map. The Consolidation Mark II is an extremely versatile and all-around freight dragger, perfect for the long-distance hauls because it has a very good top speed for a freight engine, reliable fuel economy, and most importantly, the ability to haul a full train of 8 cars with no problems. Our Scandinavian friend is also planning on making good use of some new electrics, like the enormous IORE, a massive electric ore hauler reminiscent of the Baldwin Centipedes.
Third, my ideas for new locomotives stem from my particular interests in railroading. If you look at my ideas thread, you'll see names like the Dreyfuss and Iron Duke, which, while not exactly necessary, are most certainly appealing and unique. On the other hand, I have classes which the game completely lacks, most importantly, the NKP Berkshire. For my own maps, I was planning on making some small, industrial locos and some new logging locos. I had plans for a 2-6-6-2T and an SW series. My biggest hope was for a three truck shay, or maybe climax or heisler. With my plans for the Pennsy's main line, I too hoped for a T1 or I1sa. perhaps the I1sa would be the most important because the USA is lacking a 2-10-0 at all in-game.
Finally, I could not determine what a Madison type loco was. This is the most consistent engine that kept coming up, is this it? Image
nedfumpkin
CEO

gismoskip wrote:do you want more steam locos? i'm a really good 3D artist and i work with EXTREMELY complicated 3D stuff. how do you exactly make new locomotives? i want to know, because i want to make my own steam loco pack(and my historical updates).(and i'll spend a year if i have to)

for one: madoson class was invented 1871, one year before the consolidation.
for two: consolidation was produced for 60 years.
for three: the ten wheeller type was invented in 1866.
for four: the mongul type was invented in 1861 - not 1883(twenty years later)!!!!!!!!
for five: the first 4-4-0 was invented in 1846!!!!

the point: the locomotives and their time frames are very unrealistic.
Something to keep in mind with this game is that the locomotives were designed to be representational of the different classes that were popularly used at various times. While it is possible to expand on this, you must keep in mind the "whole" of the game. Balance is very important or else you will impact game play in ways you may not realize.

The 2-8-0 Consolidation and 4-4-0 American are being addressed with the Cowboy Engines. I am still not happy with them, and I want to test them out more before they are released for general download. One of the things that I am looking at is balance between these engines with the other engines from that period. There has to be a reason to favour one over the other or else all the extra engines will become just clutter.

Availablility dates should never be a consideration when deciding on new engines since these are handled very easily via event. The dates used by RT3 are not when something first becomes invented, but when they became popularized and generally available; again, engines are representational.

Removing engines is not a wise choice. You will end up trashing some poor sap's game. If you want to remove an enging, it would be better to replace it with a different engine of a similar capability. This way the original files are still there but the information pertaining to it is changed.

Trainmaster takes all of these things into consideration. It was designed based on all the conversations about changing RT3 and wish lists for RT4 within the limitations that exist. The germ of Trainmaster began many years ago, even before 1.06 or at around the same time, but is designed for constant development. This is why if you are waiting for a finished product, it will never come.

There are still many places available for locomotives in TM....a few are planned, but slots are availble for new ones, and there is always the option of using customs paks for introducing new locomotives or skins for occasional use.

In any event, my suggestion is to pick a locomotive that you really want, commit to it, because it is a lot of work, and go from there. Help is available if you need it.

But c'mon, if you want to do development, Trainmaster is where it's at....get with the times. :)
arop
Dispatcher

And besides, for people with grafic skills, there is a lot of things to do with existing user made steam locos missing important vital parts, such as connecting rods or even cylinders. Bombardier (and others) did a great job doing the loco pack, but there are a few engines I never use when building maps, simply because they are to ugly :-(
gismoskip
Brakeman

Altoona+BeachCreek wrote:Alright, everyone here has some great ideas. Time to consolidate...
First off, gismo, while it would be SO awesome to have double headed steamers, that would require a LOT of tweaking to the general way RT3 handles engines and engine files. The reason is the following: Diesels are capable of being doubled in RT3 is only because of the slot for a tender that is available. This allows for a second unit in the consist that is technically only a part of the engine itself. In other words, it's deadweight and just there for looks, while the head engine is really doing the work. It's not the fact that the second unit is there that makes the engine approximately twice as powerful, but really, the first engine is just beefed up. Therefore, in order to have doubled steamers, we'd have to either A) find a way to combine steam engines and their tenders into one, hen double that just like we do the diesels, or B) find a way to increase the maximum number of "tenders" that can be hauled .
Secondly, the idea of new engines most of the time is for a specific role in a map. Take for example, Ned's "Cowboy Engines" which play a part in his Deadwood map. The Consolidation Mark II is an extremely versatile and all-around freight dragger, perfect for the long-distance hauls because it has a very good top speed for a freight engine, reliable fuel economy, and most importantly, the ability to haul a full train of 8 cars with no problems. Our Scandinavian friend is also planning on making good use of some new electrics, like the enormous IORE, a massive electric ore hauler reminiscent of the Baldwin Centipedes.
Third, my ideas for new locomotives stem from my particular interests in railroading. If you look at my ideas thread, you'll see names like the Dreyfuss and Iron Duke, which, while not exactly necessary, are most certainly appealing and unique. On the other hand, I have classes which the game completely lacks, most importantly, the NKP Berkshire. For my own maps, I was planning on making some small, industrial locos and some new logging locos. I had plans for a 2-6-6-2T and an SW series. My biggest hope was for a three truck shay, or maybe climax or heisler. With my plans for the Pennsy's main line, I too hoped for a T1 or I1sa. perhaps the I1sa would be the most important because the USA is lacking a 2-10-0 at all in-game.
Finally, I could not determine what a Madison type loco was. This is the most consistent engine that kept coming up, is this it? Image
no, its a 4-8-0. it's a rarely used loco, but it's invented before consolidation type. i've been thinkin about re-writing this whole game with a friend who is great with C++ and other game languages, and it'll include at least 100 new locos. (lol) also, i think my friend could make a patch that allows double-headed steamers, he'll figure it out with 1 - 2 hours of work. as for if he will help me? i don't know.(Ps. that friend is my 56 year old dad. lol)
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Ah, the 4-8-0. I know them as the N&W's Mastodon. Regarding your ambitious goals, I bet we could pull something off. It would take a looong time though. A few people have tried to alter the general code of the game, but with very little success. A few goals I'd like to see would be a bit more realism with longer trains and slower clocks.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Altoona+BeachCreek wrote:Ah, the 4-8-0. I know them as the N&W's Mastodon. Regarding your ambitious goals, I bet we could pull something off. It would take a looong time though. A few people have tried to alter the general code of the game, but with very little success. A few goals I'd like to see would be a bit more realism with longer trains and slower clocks.
oh. i must have mispelled it. oh well **!!!** it's my favrite train(2nd anyway, consolidation first). yea, i think that is a good idea.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

I am currently working on a map called "Sheecagy Industrial," a fictional map of a massive American industrial city. The railroad you control is a small industrial terminal company which serves the numerous factories, mills, and other buildings as well as interchanging with the large Class 1's yard there. Right now, I'm planning on setting the time period in the near future for two reasons: lack of small steam engines/switchers, and so I can include "green" plants, like recycling and reclamation. This is map is in Trainmaster, btw. But, if we are new and need to start small, maybe we should make a steam switcher? There are certainly lots of options; saddle tanks, side tanks, pannier tanks, Pennsy-style slope-back tenders, and more.