Hi! I'm MrPhil

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
MrPhil
Cat

Hi! I'm MrPhil Unread post

HUGE fan of the Rail Tycoon series! Been playing since the first one came out back in 1990! RT1 is one of my all time favorites, right next to Master of Orion and Dune. The increasing focus on 3D over the years wasn't to my liking. I also break out Rails Across America from time to time. I also love model railroads but haven't had time for that In a very long while.

I feel I should disclose that I am a game developer professionally, and have an indie game I working on inspired by Railroad Tycoon. That's how I stumbled upon the site. But please don't hold that against me.

That said, I'm very excited to discover a place filled with other RT fans like myself!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Hi! I'm MrPhil Unread post

Welcome aboard Mr. Phil. I hope you find what you need and maybe be willing to participate in some of the discussions here. :salute:

Don't forget to check out the RT III Installation forum. In particular the topics about multiple installs.
Hawk
MrPhil
Cat

Thanks Hawk. I hope to participate and since finding this forum the itch to play has started to get louder. Do people tend to play RT3 over RT2 around here? If so, why is that?
Philip 'MrPhil' Ludington
Mr. Phil Games
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This is pretty much the RT3 crowd. The RT2 crowd generally hangs out over at The Terminal.

Why is that? I really don't now. There used to be a somewhat active RT2 crowd here but I guess they decided to move over to The Terminal. I really don't know why.
Hawk
thietavu
Conductor

Welcome, Mr. Phil! !!howdy!!
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Stoker
Engineer

Welcome Mr Phil. I haven't heard talk of MOO in ages, ah the memories.

RT3 is the king here. I played RT2 as well and loved it. RT3 is better, although I do miss some of the better load options and that sort of thing in RT2 that were lost in RT3. But, in the end saying RT2 is better than RT3 is like saying that a Model T is better than a Mustang because the Mustang lacks a hand crank starter.

I have recently gotten back into Model Railroading after a ~35 year hiatus. Just built my new layout benchwork last week:

Picked up 20 more 3' flex track sections today. My original plan was for about 18 pieces of flex and 4 turnouts, now it is 17 turnouts and ~45 pieces of flex. I got all of the turnouts on Ebay for cheap (mostly new in package), and all of the flex was~$200 so it is still a pretty cheap hobby, and I am having a lot of fun with it.

Happy Railroading! (0!!0)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
obertran
Watchman

Wellcome Mr Phil, for sure you'll enjoy this place.

Good job Stoker. I'm also buying trains on Ebay. This railroad model looks fabulous, please send us photos of the progress.

:salute:
MrPhil
Cat

Thanks for the welcome guys!

@Stoker - track is looking good, and getting all that for ~$200 sounds like a steal!

The first MOO was my favorite:
Mr. Phil Games
OilCan
Engineer

Welcome to the forum! !!howdy!!
Gumboots
CEO

Welocome to the forum. (0!!0)

Never got into RRT2 myself. Started on 3, and although I have taken a brief look at 2, in comparison it just isn't appealing to me. It may be different if I had started on it and had the nostalgia thing happening.
MrPhil
Cat

Thanks guys!
Mr. Phil Games