Chunnel

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Chunnel Unread post

What do you mean by uploading? Are you trying to upload the map to this site?
Hawk
wrm
Cat

sorry i ment getting it to go to the railroad tycoon scenerio list
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah! OK! :-)

What version are you trying to load it in? It is a 1.05 map so it should work in 1.05 or 1.06, but probably won't work in TM.
Hawk
wrm
Cat

right now i have 1.05 and don't plan on getting 6
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It should load fine in 1.05. You did unzip it, didn't you?
Hawk
wrm
Cat

it doesn't give me the option i gives me the option of exracting or opening with winzip
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You have to extract it out of WinZip to a temporary directory, then place the gmp file in the Maps folder.
RT3 won't read zip files.
Hawk
wrm
Cat

ok im confused
i understand extract it but to where **!!!**
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Anywhere that you can find it, like maybe your desktop.

The default option in WinZip is a folder on C drive called Unzipped, but you can change that to whatever you want.
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

to help clarifying this..

the .gmp file which is zipped, once extracted, must go into

c:\program files\railroad tycoon 3\maps\

...or equivalent, for example, if you have Windows 64-bit (growingly common these days) it will be

c:\programs (x86)\railroad tycoon 3\maps\

since you seem to know little about program folders, I am assuming you didn't install the game in a differently named directory from its default location
but if you can't find any of these folders, just search for the game directory - there will be a "maps" subdirectory in there - there's where you place the ...maps !

we can't be any more helpful than this - figure it out from here ;-)

B
wrm
Cat

Thanks it took me a while i was just looking in the wrong places and now i love the map (0!!0) !$th_u$! !$th_u$! !!clap!!
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Tried this one just now, on Medium. Started with just Industry for a few years, until I was earning decent cash, then around 1999 I started by connecting London to Lille and ran a train that way. I was also playing with max (four) AIs. Just a few things of interest:

1. I failed, as in, I got no medal. I satisfied everything for Silver, but Gold was way off. My PNW was $6M at best. I ended in a boom, but nearly went bankrupt on Net Worth thanks to 2 depressions and had to buy back a ton of stock, meaning I also had no money for dividends. By end game I had around 20% of my company's shares (I think 120K of 600K), but thanks to margin buying my cash ended around -$1M. No where near the needed +$15M.

2. What caused me to fail was the average Express speed. Granted, I generally suck at this (think Germany, Tex-Mex etc), but I still feel like with 2,000 miles of track and 20 or so Brenners, Trans Euros, and E18s my average speed should have exceeded 53mph for Express. 60 seems very tough for Bronze, maybe it could be made to 50 for Bronze and 60 for Silver, but even with careful planning I don't see how 60 is doable. Maybe I needed less trains or more track doubling, I don't know. Though I will say that according to the loco buying screen, the Trans-Euro is faster than the E18, despite having lower top speed, is this true? It seems unlikely the E18 can only do 100mph pulling 8 cars on flat land when its top speed is 300mph, but the Trans-Euro can still do 160mph.

3. One of the AI never started a company, no idea why. The 3 that did all made profits, despite only using Diesels. One was in France, the other 2 UK.

4. Each AI had the same access rights as I did, plus one other country, though each different. So one had Netherlands, one Belgium, and one Italy (and possibly one Germany). This seemed odd to me, but might be intentional.

5. I feel like this is a bug, but half way through or so I noticed you can merge with a non existent liquidated company (there are actually 2 of these) called "Four Quarters", that has a cost of MINUS 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS! !*00*! Since they own no track, stations, or anything, it means you get $1.5M for free. I'm guessing their existence is due to the Chunnel, but the Chunnel remained as "AI owned track" (though I doubt I had to pay anyone to use it.
Gumboots
CEO

TheBonobo4 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:06 pm2. What caused me to fail was the average Express speed. Granted, I generally suck at this (think Germany, Tex-Mex etc), but I still feel like with 2,000 miles of track and 20 or so Brenners, Trans Euros, and E18s my average speed should have exceeded 53mph for Express. 60 seems very tough for Bronze, maybe it could be made to 50 for Bronze and 60 for Silver, but even with careful planning I don't see how 60 is doable. Maybe I needed less trains or more track doubling, I don't know.
You need maintenance spurs.

Any scenario that demands a minimum express speed, particularly if it's lifetime express speed rather than yearly, will probably rely on maintenance spurs. These greatly increase average express speed, because the average is taken for the entire period that the train is pulling a consist. If you are running inline sheds and towers, your average speed will include the time spent stopped at those facilities.

OTOH, if you use maintenance spurs at the relevant stations, your trains will unload their consists before going to the sheds and towers. This means they don't get the time spent at zero speed included in their average, nor the time spent decelerating to and accelerating away from the facilities. They only get averaged on the actual station-to-station speed.

Freight trains don't have to use the spurs if you don't want them to, and there's often some advantage in running freight trains with inline facilities. You can do this along with express on spurs, providing you put the inline facilities for the freighters on a short side track. That way the express trains will go straight past them on the main track, but the freighters can be directed to them by use of waypoints. Basic example below.

Though I will say that according to the loco buying screen, the Trans-Euro is faster than the E18, despite having lower top speed, is this true? It seems unlikely the E18 can only do 100mph pulling 8 cars on flat land when its top speed is 300mph, but the Trans-Euro can still do 160mph.
You can't trust the stats on the loco-buying pop-up. The problem is that they are coded to show figures for consists that are twice the weight of what you will be hauling in that timeframe. If you want to know what a loco will do hauling 8 cars, you need to look at the column for 4 cars.

This will be accurate for the period, providing you are using default cargo cars. It will not necessarily be accurate if you are using any custom cargo cars, because the stats table is hard-coded on the basis of 2x default weights for default eras.