New map for 1.06: Rebuilding the Deep South 1865 (beta 1)

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
arop
Dispatcher

Re: New map for 1.06: Rebuilding the Deep South 1865 (beta 1) Unread post

In an attempt to please Super expert players I hereby attach a beta 4 version of this map.
WHAT 'S NEW?:
A) SUPER GOLD win: If you win the gold, you will be met by a choice: 1) Keep the Gold medal and the game is over OR 2) SUPER GOLD: PNW 250 mill. LIP 800 mill. AND all bonuses won. If you don't fulfill the conditions before 1950, you will recieve a message that you still have the Gold and the game is over 1950. I have used Game variable 1=1for these events.
B) Mogul and Consolidation are triggered by events and avaiable 1869-1912 and 1881-1921.
C) Max. trackbuilding per year for A.I's is increased from 200 to 250 pieces, it will still avoids them building all across the map.
D) Building multiple companies now allowed (new A.I's will possibly pop up after mergers).

I hope it works this time and will work for all categories of players :salute:

File replaced by version 1.0
Last edited by arop on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Stoker
Engineer

Thank you kindly sir. !!howdy!!

Giving it a run right now.

Edit to add: I see that only 50 pieces of track are given to new companies. Is this intentional?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
RulerofRails
CEO

Thank-you, arop. Much obliged. In a couple of days I will get a chance to play it through again. Good luck with your computer. By the way, I have win7 32-bit with an ATI graphics card and I haven't had any issues with the game.
Stoker
Engineer

I like having the option for making multiple companies. but it changes the goal picture quite a bit. Here is where I was sitting at the start of year 2 , after making several companies the first year, and then going through and leveraging and buying out company after company.

This was all done "on the up & up", that is, without creating companies and taking out the bond, stealing that, repeating, etc. This was done by making multiple companies the first year as my purchasing power allowed, and then maxing out credit and buying out companies one after the other at the start of the second year.

Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

Stoker, using ethical tactics? Think of your reputation.
Stoker
Engineer

Gumboots wrote:Stoker, using ethical tactics? Think of your reputation.
Well, I did pilfer all of those companies (of course). :lol: I just did not sit there and steal money from company after company and then toss out the worthless shells. I created companies that would make money, let them build through the year, and then indebted and short sold- bought out, etc. all 8 or so of them, along with all 15 of the AI companies.

Edmund Burke
Stoneman
Hobo

Is Beta 4 the Final Version (so far) of this game? **!!!**
Stoker
Engineer

The ability to create multiple companies has made this scenario way too easy to beat. I played the start (second year) shown above until about 1890 and was on track to make "Super Gold" perhaps before 1900. It was so easy that I stopped playing. This is your scenario Arop, and you should make it as you see fit, but, I think this last modification has screwed the goals up. The way it is currently set up every player that manages to achieve Gold will be given the option to keep going. I suspect that anybody with any gumption at all is going to go for the "Super Gold", unless you disconnect it from the regular Gold, i.e. make the events such that the option for Super Gold is only triggered if the player manages to hit the Gold qualifications before 1900 or something of that nature, so that your average player never knows there is a harder goal set.

Here is an idea : Seeing how my suggestion about including some more challenging goals has backfired, perhaps you just make the scenario as you originally intended. I could then produce a separate scenario that has different (much harder) goals to meet. As you say that you are not an "Expert" player, it is difficult for you to know what is challenging to those that use advanced financial techniques and such with the game. I do not have the time to produce such a large and detailed map like this, but I do have the time (and interest) to write a set of scenario events. If you would prefer to not have another version of your beautiful map floating around, I understand completely. !#2bits#!

@ Stoneman: I think Beta4 is the current version.

Edmund Burke
arop
Dispatcher

!*th_up*! If you would like to make an super expert version of my map, you are welcome to publish it (with a new title and a few words about who made the original version in your briefing).

A few changes will be made in the final (?) version:
a) No multiple companies.
b) The "Super Gold" will only be triggered before 1900.
c) When I copied events triggering new locomotives, a forgot to remove some text.
d) River near Tallahassee flows in the wrong direction.
e) Event "Europe at war" is by an error triggered in 1933.
f) A few cosmetic changes.

A version 1.0 will perhaps be ready within a few days before Christmas :salute:
Stoneman
Hobo

Thank you. !$th_u$!

I am looking forward to playing it and the Final Version would make a nice Christmas present.

:mrgreen:
Stoker
Engineer

Thanks for the green light. !!howdy!!

I am washing some ideas around and should have most of the scripting done this weekend. I will of course give credit for the map creation and use a different name for the scenario. I have been kind of stuck in my current ultra-complicated Mile High & Rising scenario for some time, doing a simple script for this nice map might be just the thing I need to refresh my interest.

Edmund Burke
RulerofRails
CEO

Just finished a play through of Beta 4. I love the inclusion of the haulage goals for super gold. I had them in plenty of time around 1892. Then, since I was playing solely in my original company and without any AI, I had to wait for 1906 to have enough track to meet the 20,000 track "units" bonus goal. While I was waiting my LIP overflowed. I then decided to play it out until I had 900M showing again. This took me through to 1927 and I actually saw the Volstead act. Is it possible to maybe not include the track count in the super gold goals? Once a player gets control of practically every profitable industry on the map there is not much one can do except build a little more track each year after that.

I noticed that the Newspaper that announces a record Fruit harvest says afterwards "But the grain prices will drop by 25%." Is this a copy and paste error?

I noticed a few spelling mistakes. On the status page the word "difficalty"(difficulty) is spelled incorrectly. The forest fires Newspaper: "Forrests" (Forests) and "draught" (drought).

I am a fan of your focus on LIP in your scenarios. I think that it is the most difficult thing to "cheat" at in this game. I just wish that we weren't stuck with 32-bit overflow problems!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:I noticed a few spelling mistakes. On the status page the word "difficalty"(difficulty) is spelled incorrectly. The forest fires Newspaper: "Forrests" (Forests) and "draught" (drought).
Also, in the "Custer's Last Stand" event, the word "cavalry" is misspelled as "cavellry".
arop
Dispatcher

(0!!0) This is the 1.0 version with the final title, "Rebuilding the Deep South".
WHATS NEW:
a) No multiple companies (again).
b) A.I. dividend payout/stock buyback + track expansion set to aggressive.
c) Some misspellings corrected.
d) Some cosmectic changes.

I have chosen to keep the event SUPERGOLD unchanged (there will possibly be made a version of this map for Super Experts by Stoker).

Have pleasure! and by the way Happy Christmas :salute:
Attachments
Rebuilding the Deep South.rar
(6.02 MiB) Downloaded 262 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Is this version for the archives or is it still a test version?
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

I think it's ready for the archives :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Hawk