Runtime error after updating

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
tholsen

Runtime error after updating Unread post

Hi!

I've got an error on my RT after trying to update the game to either version 1.04, 1.05 or 1.06. The error comes when I try to start the game after updating, the error reads as follows: "Runtime error! Program C:\..\RT3.EXE abnormal program termination"

Any ideas on what I'm doeing wrong? :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Runtime error after updating Unread post

I'm going to take a guess that you are running Win 7 and you installed RT3 in the default directory: in the Program Files (86) directory.

If that's the case, the problem is that Microsoft decided to forbid and changes to files in the Program Files (86) and the Program Files directories.
Hence, you can't make any changes to the exe file in that directory. Consequently, you can't update RT3 with the patches.

The solution to that is to uninstall RT3 completely, using a program like Revo Uninstaller - get the free version.
The reason for using a third party uninstaller is because Windows does not do a good enough job uninstalling software.
If you don't want to use a third party uninstaller, just use the default Windows uninstaller, but make sure you delete the Railroad Tycoon directory from within the Program Files directory.

Once you have it uninstalled, re-install it into a directory outside of either one of the Program Files directories.

There's more discussion about Win 7 in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2302

If the situation above is not the case, post back with more details about your system.
Hawk
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

WINDOWS 7 IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. I KNOW THAT FROM EXPERIENCE.

:lol:
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
tholsen

Hi, and thanks for the reply so far!

Actually, I tried it on Windows XP SP3, not Vista or Windows 7..

I even tried it on my computer at work, also an XP machine, same results :-)

32-bit version of XP on both systems..
Moggie
Conductor

I just turned off the whole UAC system. More bother than it's worth.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

tholsen wrote:Hi, and thanks for the reply so far!

Actually, I tried it on Windows XP SP3, not Vista or Windows 7..

I even tried it on my computer at work, also an XP machine, same results :-)

32-bit version of XP on both systems..
OK! Another question. Did you get RT3 from Steam?
Hawk
baldrick56
Cat

Hi All,
sorry to rake again over these (very old) coals but I have the same issue:
basically bought a second copy of RT3 to use on a 'spare' laptop (HP 630 running windows xp professional). at first it worked but after patching etc & taking advantage of some of the wonderful extra locos on this site it now gives me "Runtime error" and locks the CD drive with the spinning disc logo - only recoverable by rebooting.
Grateful for any assistance,
thanks, Rob
Gumboots
CEO

Have you tried running it with the no-cd patch? That's how most people use the game these days.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/no_cd/no_cd_patch.htm

Which reminds me: I need to fix that page. *!*!*!

Edit: Oh yes, the advice earlier in the thread about not installing RT3 to the default C:\Program Files (x86) folder is important too. It's always best to override the default install options and install RT3 to a custom folder. For instance, I use one on desktop - C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\RT3
baldrick56
Cat

Thanks Gumboots - I'll give that a go and let you all know how it works (away from the 'spare' laptop at the moment so won't be able to test for a few days)
Regards,
Rob
sbaros
Conductor

I have more or less the same issue with a comparatively new desktop (Lenovo H30), designed for and running Windows10! The only version it can run is the original, untouched RR Tycoon as it comes out of the box. Not even the Coast-to-Coast expansion. At least, mine doesn't require rebooting, just returning back to Windows. My other Windows10 (and also Windows7 & XP) PCs run all Tycoon versions flawlessly. It is really outrageous that a supposed state-of-the-art piece of equipment crashes under a 13-years older program. I guess my case has something to do with the controversial graphics card, which is not replaceable. I should n't have bought it in the first place !
A "test-drive" of RR Tycoon is essential I think when somebody considers acquiring a computer for this purpose. It will probably save them from problems with other applications as well. Or to put it another way, a computer unable to run RR Tycoon properly is more or less trash !
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
Gumboots
CEO

Why can't you replace a graphics card in a desktop? That's highly unusual. Still, if you have a range of computers to choose from I suppose it doesn't really matter if one of them won't play RT3.
sbaros
Conductor

Unusual, indeed! The graphics card is incorporated on the motherboard.
Update: The Lenovo H30 problem was solved after Gumboot's suggestion. See here for details
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !