General Strategy Guidelines I Found Useful - Feel Free to Discuss

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: General Strategy Guidelines I Found Useful - Feel Free to Discuss Unread post

TheBonobo4 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:09 am
Firefly 2-2-2 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 am Try sourceforge.net for open source video editing software. I dunno if Vegas is, though **!!!** .

You don't need a separate install for 1.06. If only for the extra locos and game maps available here, it's worth it.
I thought I read that you did. **!!!**
All you do is copy the 1.05 RT3 folder and rename the copy to whatever you like (I call mine RT3_106), then run the 1.06 patch on that. It's not really a drama. Or, if it doesn't work for some reason, you still have your original 1.05 working.

You can copy and rename any RT3 folder as often as you like. It's common to have several of them. I have a 1.05 just for testing new stuff I make, but really it's sort of become my default installation.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: General Strategy Guidelines I Found Useful - Feel Free to Discuss Unread post

Firefly 2-2-2 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:13 am Another thing, theBonobo4: 1.06 has extra cargoes like Electronics, Machinery, Ceramics, etc...

Besides some cool scenarios like Mighty Meiji are only available for 1.06. Another thing I would mention is, I installed new graphics for boxcars and maybe they only work in 1.06. I dunno.
Well if you dunno, why are you suggesting it? As far as I know all custom locomotives and skins and cargo cars and everything else will work in 1.05 and 1.06. As long as they are installed correctly, of course.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Right. I might then install it at some point. Though I don't see how 1.06 will help. I think it's just that my laptop does not like the game for whatever reason. I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing some dll file, is there any way to know?

I don't have any custom cargo skins, I just have maps, logos and locos that all work in 1.05, plus the game crashes even with 1.00 and no Custom Content. So it's fair to say that it's not the issue. ^**lylgh
RulerofRails
CEO

1.06 vs. 1.05
Two installs is recommended, not required. But there are some reasons why a 1.05 map will PLAY DIFFERENTLY in 1.06.

Regarding playing 1.05 maps in 1.06, there are minor things like a few engine stat changes and the Construction Firm (default warehouse model) which will clutter cities. Also, the AI look to buy industry every month instead of just in November, so with a reasonable start they can do ok (need events to make them any sort of competition). But the major thing is that a part of the mechanics behind price distribution between two station cells (what happens when a train is loaded) was turned off when adding ship-at-a-loss. This part is fundamental in normal rail revenues.

Remember that 1.06 is fan made without the source code. So a great effort of love, but not perfect. Everyone in the early days demanded ship-at-a-loss as this was a missing feature coming from RTII. But really it's better to think of RT3's cargo economy as dynamic, instead of static like RTII's is. Forcing doesn't do that much. Cargo is trying to go in a certain direction due to price gradients. If you move it to an area of lower price, other trains on Auto Consist will happily take it back the other way.

Industrial production is tied to price, we simply don't see a big stockpile at a high price. We can see logically that the game's price mechanics prevent that. The typical use therefore for ship-at-a-loss is for example to move Coal from one Steel Mill that doesn't have Iron to one that has Iron but no Coal. But with care on station placement (or a special Small station placed on the Steel Mill map cell as a delivery depot) a natural low $2-5k differential can often easily be obtained. So I would say that unless you want to micro-manage, which this game isn't good for (play RTII if you want that), ship-at-a-loss is not important.

So, if you aren't regularly using ship-at-a-loss and don't mind voluntarily avoiding a small exploit (gotta do that often in stock market already). I recommend turning back on this feature which in our discussions I called "price islands." That's the affect on the price of the station cell by a freight pick-up. It's a balance with the destination price and locks price on the pickup station cell for a period of time. Here's a ready-made 1.06 exe on the thread about it: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44854#p44854 Credit to Cash on Wheels for research into this, read the thread from the start for details.

Why is it bad to leave this disabled for auto consist running?

There is a lot of low-value reshipping going on. Trains leave with a cargo load and while they are in transit prices are shifting. Often the price at the start station has risen to the point that the train can haul the same cargo back on the return journey at a small profit. You will not always notice this in a busy game, but there is a definite affect on profits. Side-effect of this is that resources in stacks at industries will often get dragged around the map for no reason, you make a little profit on it, but you would make more from the consumer goods, which are not getting produced.

If you use this fix, then gameplay is going to be fairly similar for say a default map in 1.06 compared to 1.05. I can speak highly of the new math in 1.06, but the 1.05 maps of course don't use it.

PS. For 1.06 you want to get hold of the industry/icon bugfixes in this thread: http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44854#p44854
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

I've just installed 1.06 on a fresh installation, all seems to be working, loaded up British Isles on Expert, started up as usual. Noticed the Construction Yards, Customs Houses and also there seemed to be more cargo than normal. Either this is due to hauling at a loss (I didn't have any custom consist trains, I just played as I would in 1.05), or just my imagination. **!!!**

But any way, after some point, the game CTD. Thinking nothing of it, I loaded the game back up, and then some time later got a BSOD. So the patch has fixed nothing at all. !facepalm!

I think my laptop just hates RT3 for whatever reason, as I was playing TES4:Oblivion earlier with no crashes whatsoever. All I can think of now, is that I'm a) Missing some important files like a DLL File, of which I don't know if there's any test for this, or b) Try running RT3 on lowest graphics settings possible, though I highly doubt this would do anything. I'm stumped and frustrated. !*th_dwn*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's a topic about multiple installs of RT3.

http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Gumboots wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:55 am Just dragged out Spanish Mainline for a quick look.

It's a fairly small map (448 wide).
The terrain is gently rolling.
You only have to connect two cities.
They are only about half the map width apart.
You have 25 years to do it.
You start the game with $1,640k in cash.
You can boost that to almost $2.3 million with two stock issues and a bond.
So, effectively you're starting with $2.3 million.

Oh yeah, and you have to make some industry profits.
With 25 years to play with, industry profits only need to average $320k/year.
You have enough cash to build some solid industry right at the start.

Ok, can someone explain where the challenging part is? :-D

It's a learning map for beginners, to help them get their heads around the idea of using industry effectively. It's basically a tutorial.
I just played this for the first time, don't know why I haven't played it before. I won it without buying a train! Just to see if it could be done. Great storyline though ...
Gumboots
CEO

I'm sure it would be easy to win without buying a train. I might do that just for fun too. :)
Gumboots
CEO

Grandma Ruth wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:26 amI just played this for the first time, don't know why I haven't played it before. I won it without buying a train! Just to see if it could be done. Great storyline though ...
Ok, I did it without trains too, just for the heck of it.
See: viewtopic.php?p=48853#p48853 !*th_up*!