Delayed debut

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
sbaros
Conductor

Delayed debut Unread post

For the first time since beginning with Railroad Tycoon 3 Maps, I feel that I have a base map worth sharing and discussing it with others:
https://rrtycoon.blogspot.com/2020/10/blog-post.html
It needs a lot of improvements, including cosmetic ones, for which I have had limited time available. I'll be glad to see other fellows participating and sharing their own versions of it.
Special thanks to everybody uploading user-generated content, which has helped me enormously.
Problem with the South Balkan map download solved: The correct, updated map is there .
Last edited by sbaros on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Delayed debut Unread post

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I agree with your comments on your blog about the existing "Balkanika" map. It has some good ideas in it, but is pretty rough in places. You'll find though that unrealistic terrain heights are required to some extent in RT3. A map that had a truly realistic vertical scale, compared to its horizontal dimensions, would be too close to flat. The trick is to get enough of a terrain height range to be interesting, without getting ridiculous.

Regarding the locomotive repaints on your blog: file compression for DDS textures should be DXT3 with binary alpha. I'm pretty experienced with making and packing locomotives and other assets, so can probably answer most questions if you have any. :)
sbaros
Conductor

I am honoured that you took time to examine my work. And many thanks for your contributions, which have greatly enhanced my Railroad Tycoon experience and enjoyment.
Yes, visual "realism" in terms of Railroad Tycoon and similar software is a very relative concept. The intended geographic coverage for most campaigns would not allow it in the first place. Let alone the size of the rolling stock in relation to the supposed distances travelled ! In this context, a degree of vertical exaggeration is unavoidable, as I apply it in my job too, when designing railway and tramway gradient profiles. A further reason for it would be the pattern of the locomotives' tractive effort philosophy and the nominative grade that the software itself allocates to track laid. Undoubtedly, the original Railroad Tycoon developers carefully balanced these compromises into a user-rewarding effect.
The overall effect does catch the sense and flavour of the actual rail lines simulated, in a not-overly-surrealistic manner.
Truly, even the steepest plain-adhesion railway grades look too flat in the real world. Only when you get close enough to read the tiny gradient indicators on the trackside, will you realize the horror that a fireman would have to face!
When I look backwards from the cab of a TCDD Decapod struggling with a freight uphill out of Smyrna, or the alternating curves, viaducts and tunnels along the Athens-Salonica mainline, I think I got my vertical exaggeration just right.
RulerofRails
CEO

I took a quick look as well. Maybe you are trying to make a "simulation" here? $11M cash to start?

All those "no house" towns and the industry is scattered throughout the countryside. At the moment there are no rivers, so there's no "collection mechanism" for these resources either. I have a question in my mind if stations etc. in these little towns are really going to pay off if you play 1.06 with the fix that returns "proper" price transfer between stations. You can find that here: viewtopic.php?p=44854#p44854

I read something about "every building available" being used by the map. Why not make a list to go with the map? Probably new buildings will be created in the future. Also this would help players find the assets they need from other installs. Or they might chose their own "selection".
sbaros
Conductor

There are no navigable rivers in the given area.
"no house" towns do gradually obtain houses as years pass. Stations in these little towns of course will not pay off, unless overall development generates some traffic sources there in the future.
I just added a screenshot of a -nearly alphabetical- list of buildings used and links to additional ones required, thanks for the remark.
Uploaded map just updated with recently corrected mineral resources and some fixes in the industry distribution, avoiding most duplications of businesses within the same city
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !
sbaros
Conductor

Strange things happened... I was reading a post of nedfumpkin, I think viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2389 that contained a German language file to run the game in German. When I tried to download it, I got a message that I am not authorised to download the file. Then, I tried to return to the post and got the response "You are not authorised to read this forum."
Any idea about what is going on?
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Gumboots
CEO

You shouldn't even be able to see that board. How did you access it?

The board only contains obsolete posts and topics that were hidden to save confusion. All relevant TM files can be found on the TM pages of the site.
sbaros
Conductor

I must have accessed it through a search to switch some of my installations over to German language.
Maybe it was accidentally unlocked by some administrator for a short time?
sbaros
Conductor

The year before last, when I was still unaware of RR Tycoon progress recorded here, I had responded with some remarks to a Facebook post about our subject. Although somewhat irrelevant under present circumstances, for the historical record I repeat them over here, keeping the date of the original conception:
https://rrtycoon.blogspot.com/2020/10/i ... oon-3.html
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Very interesting. I was a very non-technical member of the 1.06 team, looking at things from the players point of view and suggesting things for the others to make. So I was pleased to see your support for our efforts! !$th_u$!
sbaros
Conductor

Regretfully, the first anniversary of my presence here yesterday was marked by the first fatal rail accident at my workplace after decades, killing a track foreman. A direct consequence of track maintenance outsourcing. I'll be less creative here for some time, helping the Transit Workers' Health & Safety elected representatives with the investigation. I'll be following you though.
I hope my future anniversaries will be more cheerful...
Gumboots
CEO

Best of luck with the investigation. Workplace safety is a major issue.
RulerofRails
CEO

Sorry to hear that. :cry: