Map Creation Made Easy

Ins and Outs of Creating the Map
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Map Creation Made Easy Unread post

For those that want to create their own maps, there are two options. You can find both at this link: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Tips_Tuts_Utils.htm

Edited Feb. 17, 2014 - Changed link.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Map Creation Made Easy Unread post

Hawk, I don't see anything to make maps on that page? It seems to be the Buildings and other Structures page.
Blackhawk
CEO

I think this post refers to: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Tips_Tuts_Utils.htm
Using the RT3 Map maker or using the more complicated, but more accurate method, of using Microdem data. Although the Microdem way may need an update. I remember looking at it awhile ago and as with everything on the internet things get moved around and relocated/renamed.
For those that want to create their own maps, you can either use the Map Builder that came with RRT3,
(if you bought a copy of RRT3 that didn't include the Map Builder, you can download it here.)

RT3 Map Builder - 219 MB

or you can use Wolverine's tutorial, using Microdem and USGS DEM Data.
RulerofRails
CEO

I think the MicroDEM way does need an update. A few months ago I tried it, but got all kinds of error messages from the old version of MicroDEM. And couldn't get anywhere with it.
Gumboots
CEO

I was going to write an update of it, as I got it to work but a few things were different. I'll see if I can remember how it works.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:Hawk, I don't see anything to make maps on that page? It seems to be the Buildings and other Structures page.
Blackhawk wrote:I think this post refers to: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Tips_Tuts_Utils.htm
Yep! That link in the original post was an old link (6 years old :mrgreen: ), before I changed the name of the web pages.
I've updated that link in the original post.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Spring Break is coming up week after next. I'll try to revise the MicroDem tutorial to incorporate the newest version of MicroDem and GTOPO30 dtabases.
RulerofRails
CEO

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Spring Break is coming up week after next. I'll try to revise the MicroDem tutorial to incorporate the newest version of MicroDem and GTOPO30 dtabases.
Excellent, sounds great. Thanks. I don't know what I am doing on my own. !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:I don't know what I am doing on my own. !*th_up*!
You're not the only one. ^**lylgh
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Hawk wrote:
RulerofRails wrote:I don't know what I am doing on my own. !*th_up*!
You're not the only one. ^**lylgh
That's why we have wives! !hairpull!
RulerofRails
CEO

Ok. I decided to try again. After lots of internet research sifting through a lot of meaningless stuff, I discovered my issue was with User Account Control (UAC). For some reason MicroDEM stores a file it writes to often in one of the temporary folders that Win7 makes read-only (C:/**/Users/Apps/Roaming/microdem). I got it to run correctly by installing it straight in C:/**/Users/microdem. So far so good. The link is still dead for USGS though. Time to try it out now. Thanks again for the guide!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

The GTOPO30 database mirror is no longer functional. It's now at the USGS site, and I just went there to try and get some data. There are a lot more hoops to jump through, so when I figure it out I'll post something.