Anyone want double-header Shays and Fairlies?

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Anyone want double-header Shays and Fairlies? Unread post

Hmm. Well since I never play with electrics or diesel I'm not really sure what's going on there. I know there have been several double diesels made, so they work. Maybe there's a hard-coded barrier to double electrics?
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

I was thinking there might be, but I wanted to hold my hope a little longer. I've just tried four sets of random values on the off chance I might have used a value that is already being used. Still a no-go. I'll try swapping the fuel type to diesel and steam and see if that makes the tender display, if it does, then the hard-coded barrier is confirmed.

Edit: Tried diesel and steam with byte #50 set as FF and as a unique number and as the Car ID for the tender. I even tried stealing your magic number. All no-go.

I am starting to think that the game has a vendetta against me. *!*!*!
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Any error messages?
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

No error messages, even in debug mode. It's simply frustrating. Should work, doesn't. My granddad would say I wasn't holding it in my mouth right, bite harder.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
RulerofRails
CEO

Did you change the Decimal Position #4 in the .car file for the second engine a.k.a. tender? I would assume that you did, but you never mentioned it so I figured may as well ask in case it's that simple.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

RulerofRails wrote:Did you change the Decimal Position #4 in the .car file for the second engine a.k.a. tender? I would assume that you did, but you never mentioned it so I figured may as well ask in case it's that simple.
*head desk*
After reading your post, I went back to PJay's note for CAR files and scrolled down through the car weights just to see if there was something more. Well, apparently, yes, there was more. When I had read the note on CAR files, because the next thing to appear was the last on the list in the top section... well... I assumed... and thus an idiot was born :roll:

Thank you, RoR. Thank you, Gumboots. I'mma go lay down now....

After that, I'll figure out how to make the tender stop calling a second instance of the profile....

...maybe.
Gumboots
CEO

Just Crazy Jim wrote:After that, I'll figure out how to make the tender stop calling a second instance of the profile....

...maybe.
How did you manage to make it do that? ^**lylgh

You didn't give the tender its own Profile.imb, did you?
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Nay, sir, noob that I am, I did not do two profile IMBs. I made one IMB (2D2_DoubleL_Profile.imb) and call the profile in both the CAR files.

I noticed that you used CarSideView_1.imb in your tender LCOs for the double-header Shay and the A1 Berkshire. But there's no address for either xxxxT in the CarSideView_1.imb for them... hrm... I will try that. Worst that can happen is Bong of Doom.

Edit: nope, still producing 2 profiles for a total of four 2-D-2s in the train list view... there's prolly something simple I just don't know yet
Gumboots
CEO

Just Crazy Jim wrote:Nay, sir, noob that I am, I did not do two profile IMBs. I made one IMB (2D2_DoubleL_Profile.imb) and call the profile in both the CAR files.

I noticed that you used CarSideView_1.imb in your tender LCOs for the double-header Shay and the A1 Berkshire. But there's no address for either xxxxT in the CarSideView_1.imb for them... hrm...
That's the idea. It gets ignored for the tender. Default tenders do the same.
Edit: nope, still producing 2 profiles for a total of four 2-D-2s in the train list view... there's prolly something simple I just don't know yet
That's an odd result. However, there's an easy fix. Simply change your profile image to only have one loco in it. (0!!0)
Gumboots
CEO

Did you try that trick with a single loco in each profile image? It should work.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

I did and meant to get back here to post it, but then I was being mugged by Blender....

Anyway, yes, it did work. Your genius shines again, Sir Gumboots.
Gumboots
CEO

Cool. Not that I'd exactly call that simple trick "genius".

Beats me why the problem was occurring anyway. Maybe they hard-coded something dumb in the .exe. Wouldn't be the first time.
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Double fairlies please.
And also Mason variants too!
Gumboots
CEO

What are Mason variants?

Edit: Nevermind. I went and found out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_Bogie

They'd be easy enough to make if anyone wanted to, but I'm not currently interested in doing them myself. I already have too many projects lined up.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

when you were setting the stats for your double Shay, how did you settle on the final setting? I'm making a GP7 A + B and I'd like to avoid a repeat of the 2-D-1+1-D-2 headache, because other than the old and exotic, I am by no means a diesel loco kind of guy and I don't use them if I can avoid them.
Gumboots
CEO

This was done back before we had all the fancy number-munching spreadsheets. The very low top speed and poor fuel economy meant it wasn't in danger of being a super engine anyway, so I didn't worry too much. All I did was double the single's stats, except for top speed, and call it done. It could probably still be tweaked some if wanting to turn it into a seriously balanced unit.
RulerofRails
CEO

Yeah, use the spreadsheets (Gumboots already linked the one for Performance, this one for economics with the metric Average Yearly Running Cost). Double stuff sounds easy, but because the game is limited to 8 cars, there simply isn't the opportunity to exploit the true potential of doubles. I haven't nailed this stuff down, but here's my thoughts.

The greater economic potential of a double is mainly based on the difference in speed with a full load on flat ground/grades compared to the single (due to Pulling Power increase, really not sure if double would make sense for that **!!!**, whatever looks right). IMO, it makes sense to increase acceleration by one level. (A little info on what acceleration means in RT3).

The most recognizable feature of a double (first thing that players will notice) should likely be a double purchase price. After that you might find that the increase in Average Yearly running cost just by that and maybe 50% increase in maintenance cost will eliminate most of the extra economic potential from the extra speed available in adverse conditions (heavy loads, stiff grades). Remember that engine weight in RT3 is just an arbitrary value, not to be confused with real life weight. Because the average player will never see it, you have free reign with this number, who cares if you don't end up increasing it at all for a double.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Thank you RoR. I keep reading and a little more sinks in each time. :lol:

Gumboots.... Not that you need to make it, but I found this image of a boxed Shay used on the streets of New York City while cruising the Interwebs.
box-shay.jpg
I never knew such a thing existed, but there's much weirdness in the history of railroading.