Piemonte

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Piemonte Unread post

This scenario requires a player to be vvveeerrryyy aggressive. The requirements are to connect 2 different sets of cities. It also requires $2-$5M Company Cash, $5-$10M in LIP, and be the sole survivor. Although there is only 1 AI, you can expect the AI to extend its railway system faster than you can. I found it to be a great challenge to accomplish the goals for the medals. Such challenges to separate the Boys from the Tycoons. LOL :salute:
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Piemonte Unread post

I love a challenge. Is this one in the map archives? If so, under what category? !$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Is this one in the map archives? If so, under what category? !$th_u$!
Yep! It's in the Europe section - page 2, listed as Piemonte.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3_europe2.php#piemonte
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Thanks for the link Hawk.

Not that I keep track of such things, but this one will make my post count 1,000 ::!**! ::!**! . Does that mean I get a "promotion"?
Sugus
Engineer

WOW! !*th_up*!

Two more and you beat the "One Thousands and One Nights"
1001.jpg
1001.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 6209 times
assuming you create one post every night ... ^**lylgh
There's no business like RT business ...
RayofSunshine
CEO

Congratulations MSU,
For all the contributions which you have made to this site over the years. Am looking forward to your many more years your input. !**yaaa ::!**! !*th_up*! !!clap!! (0!!0)
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

So I tried this scenario today, for the first time, on Expert. Played with the maximum of 4 AIs, one did well, the others not so well and were easily bought out. I think one of the AI made 2 companies. I started in Milan, connected the nearby cities, and never really had any issues until it became time to connect to Nice from Ventemiglia (I think, the South Western city near Monte Carlo that is in Italy). Getting to Monte Carlo was a nightmare, then getting to Nice was too. Nice to Provence was fine, to Grenoble was a challenge but doable. A few cities in Italy were very tough to get to (big tunnels helped, but still a fair few nasty gradients).

The hardest part was Switzerland, though there is an exploit. Though all 50 cities need to be connected, because you can build unconnected track (which really helps given the impossible terrain at times), I got Gold by simply connecting the 3 Swiss cities, without then connecting them to my main Italian network.

With regards to locomotives, I used the Class 500 4-6-0 (I think it's called) once it became available (around 1907 I think) exclusively, since it is decent on hills and fast on flat terrain, and acceptable to passengers, so was the best overall. I didn't buy any big industry, but had Hotels etc in every city that the terrain permitted, and had over $15M lifetime industry profit by game end.

I never set a dividend as PNW is not a goal here, and issued stock. Apart from a depression followed by a recession, my share price was fairly healthy. The strongest AI cost around $14M to buy out, connecting 4 cities together.

So all in all I got Gold first try on Expert (minus a few reloaded saves where the terrain proved impossible or where station placement ruined my gradients, or other such annoyances). Nothing too difficult in my opinion, just the terrain itself. I had Turin-Milan-Verona connected way before Milan-Nice, despite Nice being the Bronze goal. Gold was achieved around 1915, so I only used around half the allowed time.

In terms of improvements, I'd like to have seen maybe some historical events (eg start of WW1). Newspaper events were written in Italian, would be nice if they were translated to English. And also, maybe a few more trees in Italy. Besides farms, a lot of the area was just flat with no scenery. Nothing urgent, just a minor comment.
Gumboots
CEO

TheBonobo4 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 pmWith regards to locomotives, I used the Class 500 4-6-0 (I think it's called) once it became available ...
That was actually an Italian locomotive. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_670
In terms of improvements, I'd like to have seen maybe some historical events (eg start of WW1). Newspaper events were written in Italian, would be nice if they were translated to English. And also, maybe a few more trees in Italy. Besides farms, a lot of the area was just flat with no scenery. Nothing urgent, just a minor comment.
Should be easy to translate the newspapers. DeepL will do an almost perfect job on Italian > English. Adding trees is easy too.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

Then it makes sense that I used it, seeing as I named my company Italian State Railways and used the real logo of the company. ^**lylgh