North Wales

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

North Wales Unread post

So I'm currently playing this map, found in the archives in the Europe section. Does anyone have a version of this map with actual events? It's annoying because the scenario will never actually end, and once I connected to Blaenau Ffestiniog the briefing changed so I can no longer see the recommended objectives. There's also nothing in the ledger relating to objectives.

Also the terrain is pretty challenging, but even on Expert it's easy to make money because there are so many passengers and towns to connect to, as well as lots of various freight. It's also annoying that you can't connect to some cities until 1895 once suspension bridges are invented but that can be forgiven.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: North Wales Unread post

That's this map: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3_europ ... northwales

It seems that it was deliberately made with no time limit. I don't know if any one has a modified version, but adding the required events would be quite simple. It just needs someone to decide what the goals should be.
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

In the initial briefing, it does state there are no events, but as a guide the objectives could be:

Bronze - Connect Holyhead, Caernarvon, Abergele, and Blaenau Ffestiniog, before 1899.
Silver - Also connect Barmouth and Machynthlleth
Gold - Also connect Bala and Betws-y-Coed

The problem is that, even on Expert, I'm making around $6M in profit in boom times, with no Industry besides Hotels etc, and it's only 1865 or so. It's actually very easy to make money, there is loads of cargo despite the scenario's description. Instead, the terrain is the main problem. I don't mind that, since it means expansion is rapid and you don't feel limited in where you can extend to, but other than the fact that suspension bridges don't become available until 1895 any way, and are needed to get to Holyhead and Machynthlleth, it feels very easy to connect all 8 cities listed by 1899.

As a result, maybe something like:
Bronze
Connect Caernarvon to Bangor, Portmeirion, and Blaenau Ffestiniog, before 1860.
Connect Abergele to Caernarvon before 1870.
Connect Caernarvon to Holyhead before 1899.

Silver
As above, but also connect Barmouth to Caernarvon before 1865.
Connect Caernarvon to Bala and Betws-y-Coed before 1875.
Connect Caernarvon to Machynthlleth before 1899.

Gold
As above, but also haul 1000 loads of Passengers before 1920.

It's just an idea. I feel like all that is still quite easy. There are loads of Passengers, to be expected on a large map with lots of towns in the Victorian era. Like I said I'm in 1865 or so, and I've already connected Caernarvon (where I started) to Bangor, Portmeirion, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Betws-y-Coed, Abergele, and Barmouth. I would have Holyhead too if I could have suspension bridges. Bala will require more effort as it is quite far away.

Also, I'm not sure if other town names are spelt wrong or not, but I feel like that town in Aberdovey should just be called Llanfair PG, which is I think how the locals call it.
Gumboots
CEO

If the map is too lucrative you could add some extra tweaks. For example, reducing pax production on higher difficulty levels, increasing graded track cost, etc, etc.

As I haven't played it myself (yet) I can't really give an opinion (at the moment) on what would suit it best. I might take a look at it.
Gumboots
CEO

I downloaded the map and had a quick look around. It's quite a nice map, and could be fun to play, but I don't have time to devote to RT3 right now.